Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Republican 2012 Presidential Nominee

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
844 replies to this topic

Poll: 2012 Presidential Election (167 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would you prefer won the GOP nomination?

1. I hate all Republicans (49 votes [29.34%])

Percentage of vote: 29.34%

2. Ron Paul (81 votes [48.50%])

Percentage of vote: 48.50%

3. Gary Johnson (4 votes [2.40%])

Percentage of vote: 2.40%

4. Michele Bachmann (2 votes [1.20%])

Percentage of vote: 1.20%

5. Rick Perry (3 votes [1.80%])

Percentage of vote: 1.80%

6. Mitt Romney (14 votes [8.38%])

Percentage of vote: 8.38%

7. Rick Santorum (2 votes [1.20%])

Percentage of vote: 1.20%

8. Newt Gingrinch (4 votes [2.40%])

Percentage of vote: 2.40%

9. Tim Pawlenty (1 votes [0.60%])

Percentage of vote: 0.60%

10. John Hunstman (7 votes [4.19%])

Percentage of vote: 4.19%

Who would you prefer won the election?

1. Obama (86 votes [51.50%])

Percentage of vote: 51.50%

2. Republican Candidate (34 votes [20.36%])

Percentage of vote: 20.36%

3. Other (7 votes [4.19%])

Percentage of vote: 4.19%

4. They all suck (40 votes [23.95%])

Percentage of vote: 23.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#271 Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Job Stewart on the Iowa caucus yesterday was on the spot. In the end, you're still end up with Romney with a little santorum on him. And ultimately, with Obama back for a second term.

I guess the silver lining is that Obama won't have to worry about a re-election. Here I go being naive again. :(

Obama + Democratic Congress + Potential progress to be made
Obama + GOP Congress = little progress to be made, mostly Obama would be playing defense.
Romney + GOP Congress = big step backwards.
Romney + Democratic Congress = almost impossible scneario.

I am however predicting that Obama will make a push for a federal civil union law in a 2nd term.

Edited by Carpe Diem, 04 January 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#272 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

Ron Paul Won All Age Brackets Under 40 in Iowa Caucuses, Says Entrance Poll

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#273 TigerWilliams

TigerWilliams

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,787 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

It's easy to mock Rick Santorum for his extremely social conservative views, but I have to admit, if you listen to his current message, I can see why he's doing well.

He's presenting himself as the conservative working class hero and he's a decent speaker who conveys his message well.

I don't think it's enough to overcome his other deficiencies, mind you, but I do think there might be more gas in the tank than originally thought. NH could be interesting.
"Met him in 1966. Forceful personality. Didn't care if people liked him. Uncompromising. Admired that. Of us all, he understood most. About world. About people. About society and what's happening to it. Things everyone knows in gut. Things everyone too scared to face, too polite to talk about. He understood. Understood man's capacity for horrors and never quit. Saw the world's black underbelly and never surrendered. Once a man has seen, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend it doesn't exist. No matter who orders him to look the other way."

Posted Image

#274 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Another post from you showing how dumb and ignorant you are. I don't know where you are drinking the kool aid from but Obama will go down as a complete failure on most counts. His record on the economy, civil liberties, and even foreign policy have all been massive failures. I'm not out to convince you of anything, your opinion is of no value and the best judge of Obama will be the historians when they talking about the turning point of American history being the four terms of Bush/Obama 2000-2016. 16 years of a cluster f*ck.

I do not agree with this at all, sorry but I'm not buying the ''Obama is bad'' rhetoric. he has improved the image of the USA in the world, killed Bin Laden, ended the wars, reduced unemployment, got rid of don't ask don't tell, he is a positive person who gives great speeches and there is NOBODY else who could be doing a better job so I don't know why anybody would want him gone.

#275 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

I do not agree with this at all, sorry but I'm not buying the ''Obama is bad'' rhetoric. he has improved the image of the USA in the world, killed Bin Laden, ended the wars, reduced unemployment, got rid of don't ask don't tell, he is a positive person who gives great speeches and there is NOBODY else who could be doing a better job so I don't know why anybody would want him gone.

:picard:

For a 21 year old virgin who sits at home so much, you don't spend your time wisely. Less video games, more reading!

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

#276 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

:picard:

For a 21 year old virgin who sits at home so much, you don't spend your time wisely. Less video games, more reading!

What? I watch the news every night!

I think I'm pretty well informed, i enjoy American politics a lot.

#277 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

What? I watch the news every night!

I think I'm pretty well informed, i enjoy American politics a lot.

I think we found the crux of your ignorance!

Drone wars, PATRIOT Act, medical marijuana, indefinite detention, the list is growing longer and longer. And you think he's a good president and don't know why people don't support him? You're clueless to the point of hilarity. Like with alcohol and sex.

Posted Image

#278 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Drone wars, PATRIOT Act, medical marijuana, indefinite detention, the list is growing longer and longer. And you think he's a good president and don't know why people don't support him? You're clueless to the point of hilarity. Like with alcohol and sex.

He didn't do the Patriot Act that was george w bush! so why do you blame him for it?

Medical Marijuana is something he could probably do in his second term it's to controversial to do right now!

He took over a country in terrible condition and it is now better than when he took over so you can't say he's done a bad job. And a lot of the stuff he doesn't even want to happen but the republicans force it through and block his ideas, he has had no help at all!

#279 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

He didn't do the Patriot Act that was george w bush! so why do you blame him for it?

Medical Marijuana is something he could probably do in his second term it's to controversial to do right now!

He took over a country in terrible condition and it is now better than when he took over so you can't say he's done a bad job. And a lot of the stuff he doesn't even want to happen but the republicans force it through and block his ideas, he has had no help at all!

#280 BurnabyJoe

BurnabyJoe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

How is this not a big story on CNN? I had to find out via facebook. Guarantee if it was the other way around, this story would be getting huge play.

http://politicaltick...backs-rep-paul/
http://i8.photobucke...e/canucks40.jpg <- Jim Robson's 40th Anniversary Team.

#281 fifafu

fifafu

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

No help at all? You should watch a little closer. He had majority in the house and senate for the first 2 years of his term.

#282 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

Mhmm. He's a racist conspiracy theorist. I gotcha. :lol:

Like I said, keep watching the tele. They'll tell you who to vote for soon enough. Don't worry, you won't have to use the ol' noddle in that head o' yours.

Ron Paul has said some quite racist things, so I would not say it is to much of a stretch to call him a racist.

He has also spoken in favour of things such as homophobia and conspiracy theories.

Edited by Humble Rodent, 04 January 2012 - 08:47 PM.

Posted Image

#283 VanJets

VanJets

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

Can Republicans not count? it is taking them 6 times longer to do what the democrats did 4 years ago.

It doesn't matter who wins their nomination this year cause they won't beat Obama in a general election. The party is too divided and none of their candidates stick out as someone who can beat Obama head to head.
Posted Image

#284 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

<br />It doesn't matter who wins their nomination this year cause they won't beat Obama in a general election. The party is too divided and none of their candidates stick out as someone who can beat Obama head to head.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Most polls show a toss up when it comes to a Obama vs. Romney contest. They show a less than 5% difference between the two.

Should the Republicans choose someone OTHER than Romney, they are virtually guaranteed to lose because no one else is even close to Obama.

The US election has always hinged on independent voters. Whoever wins the independents, win the election. That has been the case in recent decades. Obama won the independent vote in 2008. Similarly Bush won the independent vote in 2000 and 2004.

And why are independent votes are so important? Because die hard Democrats will vote for the Democrat candidate no matter who he is. Similarly Republican voters will vote for their candidate even they dislike him. In other words, they hate Obama more than their own candidate. So they will hold their nose and vote for Romney.

And the US have something called the Electoral College. It is possible to win the popular vote yet lose the Presidency if the winner has more Electoral College votes. Actually that is how George Bush won in 2000. George Bush had less popular votes than Al Gore but won the election with more Electoral College votes.

#285 Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

Ron Paul has said some quite racist things, so I would not say it is to much of a stretch to call him a racist.

He has also spoken in favour of things such as homophobia and conspiracy theories.

I myself will never vote for Ron Paul, but I am almost certain that Ron Paul of today doesn't a racist bone in his body.

Republicans often have a "race" problem because their politicians often cynically exploit "middle america's" fear of minorities (blacks on welfare/ mexicans here to steal our jobs/arab terrorist/gays and their secret agenda to destroy marriage) to get votes. Santorum did that recently with blacks in Iowa. Herman Cain did it with muslims. All republicans attacked the "WTC mosque" to score points. Sarah Palin was particularly awful in 2008. But as I recall, Ron Paul has never did any of such, and in fact, does the opposite, Ron Paul strongly and eloquently defended the WTC mosque. A very courageous thing to do for a republican seeking the nomination.

The problem with Paul is that while he himself is not racist, I don't think a Paul government can be counted on to defend racial equality (his son has had problems with the civil rights act) because of his minimal government idealogy. And his brand of libertarianism and his southern root may have drawn some "get those northern yankees off our back" racist supporters in the past. I very much doubt that is the case today.

Edited by Carpe Diem, 04 January 2012 - 11:39 PM.

#286 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

Can you show me where he spoke about any of that? The only thing people are getting bothered about are the news letters that he didn't author and has addressed (maybe not as much as some would like). If I'm not mistaken, even the former employee who claimed Paul is a conspiracy theorist said he is absolutely not a racist. And that guy worked for him for 14 years.

He did help a biracial couple in need though. And he is the only GOP candidate who isn't there because god told 'em to be, he's not pushing his beliefs left and right. And he happens to be deeply religious to boot, talk about keeping faith where it belongs and doing what's right for the country (in his mind). Not to mention his integrity makes me more suspect of the accusations than the accusations make me suspect of him.

Besides, if all of it was true, he's still squeaky clean compared to the rest of the line up.

Posted Image

#287 unbridled_id

unbridled_id

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

" In 2008 candidate Sen. Barack Obama famously said: "This is part of the whole theory of George Bush that he can make laws as he is going along. I disagree with that. I taught the Constitution for 10 years. I believe in the Constitution and I will obey the Constitution of the United States. We are not going to use signing statements as a way of doing and end run around Congress." Now, we find that not only was he kidding about signing statements – he recently used one to ignore about 20 provisions of the omnibus spending bill – but Obama also believes he can decide for himself that the Senate is in recess when it is not, overturn at least a hundred years of precedent, and bypass the Constitution's advice and consent requirement.

Moreover, the president now considers it a political virtue that he is doing precisely what he criticized George Bush for doing: "make laws as he is going along." Obama now says: "I refuse to take 'No' for an answer… when Congress refuses to act in a way that hurts our economy and puts people at risk, I have an obligation as president to do what I can without them."

If he were acting within the confines of the law and the Constitution, the argument might make sense.But Obama has now adopted a theory of executive power so expansive that a reporter at a recent press conference understandably asked whether the president believes we have a virtual monarchy, a president of unlimited powers subject only to periodic elections but not to the rule of law.

According to a 1993 brief from the Clinton Justice Department, Congress must remain adjourned for at least three days before the adjournment constitutes a "recess" for the purposes the recess appointment power.

The origin of this three day period is Article I, Section 5 of the Constitution, which states: "Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days."

In other words, the president can only recess appoint when the Senate has adjourned for more than three days, and the Senate cannot adjourn for more than three days without the consent of the House.

Speaker John Boehner has properly withheld that consent to prevent Obama from installing radical appointees into key positions.

There is recent precedent for this action and for its legitimacy.In fact, then-Obama Solicitor General Elena Kagan wrote to the Supreme Court on April 26, 2010:"Although a President may fill such vacancies through the use of his recess appointment power … the Senate may act to foreclose this option by declining to recess for more than two or three days at a time over a lengthy period. For example, the Senate did not recess intrasession for more than three days at a time for over a year beginning in late 2007."

Obama's attempt to "recess appoint" Richard Cordray while the Senate is in pro forma session is especially galling in light of the history of the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and the broad powers that Cordray – if Obama's sleight of hand is permitted by the courts – will wield over the United States economy.

The CFPB has the power to interfere with every consumer financial transaction in the economy. It is housed in the Federal Reserve and funded out of Fed operations, not congressional appropriations, avoiding effective congressional oversight.

All power is vested in one individual – now, presumably Cordray – with no board or commission.None of this was part of Elizabeth Warren's original design, which included a five-member commission that was funded and overseen by Congress.Senate Republicans have correctly called for reforms to make the new agency accountable before confirming a nominee and allowing it to begin writing rules that could have a major negative impact on the economy.

Obama doesn't care.He's making is up as he goes along.What a difference four years makes."

Edited by unbridled_id, 04 January 2012 - 11:45 PM.

"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

#288 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

" In 2008 candidate Sen. Barack Obama famously said: "This is part of the whole theory of George Bush that he can make laws as he is going along. I disagree with that. I taught the Constitution for 10 years. I believe in the Constitution and I will obey the Constitution of the United States. We are not going to use signing statements as a way of doing and end run around Congress." Now, we find that not only was he kidding about signing statements – he recently used one to ignore about 20 provisions of the omnibus spending bill – but Obama also believes he can decide for himself that the Senate is in recess when it is not, overturn at least a hundred years of precedent, and bypass the Constitution's advice and consent requirement.

Moreover, the president now considers it a political virtue that he is doing precisely what he criticized George Bush for doing: "make laws as he is going along." Obama now says: "I refuse to take 'No' for an answer… when Congress refuses to act in a way that hurts our economy and puts people at risk, I have an obligation as president to do what I can without them."

If he were acting within the confines of the law and the Constitution, the argument might make sense.But Obama has now adopted a theory of executive power so expansive that a reporter at a recent press conference understandably asked whether the president believes we have a virtual monarchy, a president of unlimited powers subject only to periodic elections but not to the rule of law.

According to a 1993 brief from the Clinton Justice Department, Congress must remain adjourned for at least three days before the adjournment constitutes a "recess" for the purposes the recess appointment power.

The origin of this three day period is Article I, Section 5 of the Constitution, which states: "Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days."

In other words, the president can only recess appoint when the Senate has adjourned for more than three days, and the Senate cannot adjourn for more than three days without the consent of the House.

Speaker John Boehner has properly withheld that consent to prevent Obama from installing radical appointees into key positions.

There is recent precedent for this action and for its legitimacy.In fact, then-Obama Solicitor General Elena Kagan wrote to the Supreme Court on April 26, 2010:"Although a President may fill such vacancies through the use of his recess appointment power … the Senate may act to foreclose this option by declining to recess for more than two or three days at a time over a lengthy period. For example, the Senate did not recess intrasession for more than three days at a time for over a year beginning in late 2007."

Obama's attempt to "recess appoint" Richard Cordray while the Senate is in pro forma session is especially galling in light of the history of the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and the broad powers that Cordray – if Obama's sleight of hand is permitted by the courts – will wield over the United States economy.

The CFPB has the power to interfere with every consumer financial transaction in the economy. It is housed in the Federal Reserve and funded out of Fed operations, not congressional appropriations, avoiding effective congressional oversight.

All power is vested in one individual – now, presumably Cordray – with no board or commission.None of this was part of Elizabeth Warren's original design, which included a five-member commission that was funded and overseen by Congress.Senate Republicans have correctly called for reforms to make the new agency accountable before confirming a nominee and allowing it to begin writing rules that could have a major negative impact on the economy.

Obama doesn't care.He's making is up as he goes along.What a difference four years makes."

Hey champ, this thread's about GOP candidates. :lol:

Posted Image

#289 Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

It doesn't matter who wins their nomination this year cause they won't beat Obama in a general election. The party is too divided and none of their candidates stick out as someone who can beat Obama head to head.

thats a silly thing to think. A year long, long time in politics. A lot of things could happen.

I remember seeing some 2006 poll of a potential Obama vs. McCain match-up. It predicted McCain winning 48/50 states lol.

#290 Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:52 PM

Typical copy and paste drivel.

You do know what a "pro forma" session is in the Senate right? 98 senators are in holiday, and two senators show up for 5 minutes once every three days and they pretend they are not in recess.

I would LOVE it if republicans challenge this in court and make a fool of themselves to the American people.

#291 fifafu

fifafu

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

From The Ron Paul Freedom ReportsGiven the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal."

"We are constantly told that it is evil to be afraid of black men, it is hardly irrational."

"Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks."

One referred to Martin Luther King Jr. as "the world-class philanderer who beat up his paramours" and who "seduced underage girls and boys."

Another referred to Barbara Jordan, a civil-rights activist and member of Congress as "Barbara Morondon," the "archetypical half-educated victimologist."

#292 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

From The Ron Paul Freedom ReportsGiven the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal."

"We are constantly told that it is evil to be afraid of black men, it is hardly irrational."

"Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks."

One referred to Martin Luther King Jr. as "the world-class philanderer who beat up his paramours" and who "seduced underage girls and boys."

Another referred to Barbara Jordan, a civil-rights activist and member of Congress as "Barbara Morondon," the "archetypical half-educated victimologist."

Start at 1:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKBlk1Vpeuw

Now shut up with this "he's a racist" nonsense.

Edited by Scorpio Ego, 05 January 2012 - 12:15 AM.

Posted Image

#293 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:18 AM

A new challenger appears.

Posted Image

#294 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

You do know what a "pro forma" session is in the Senate right? 98 senators are in holiday, and two senators show up for 5 minutes once every three days and they pretend they are not in recess.

I would LOVE it if republicans challenge this in court and make a fool of themselves to the American people.

Also, this,

Speaker Boehner Admits Real Reason GOP Blocked Consumer Protection Nominee

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) admits Senate Republicans have been blocking Richard Cordray's nomination as head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for reasons that have nothing to do with Cordray:

"This position had not been filled for one reason: the agency it heads is bad for jobs and bad for the economy."

So the GOP filibuster had nothing to do with the nominee. According to Boehner, Republicans would've filibustered any nominee, because they don't like the agency itself — which was, remember, created by an act of Congress. That's pretty much the definition of an illegitimate filibuster.

While Republicans have long made clear that they would oppose any nominee to head the agency, they at least pretended the opposition had something to do with the structure of the job. Boehner has dropped the pretense and admitted Republicans just don't like the agency, and will do anything they can to hamstring it.

Posted Image

#295 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

""I refuse to take 'No' for an answer… when Congress refuses to act in a way that hurts our economy and puts people at risk, I have an obligation as president to do what I can without them." "

So Barry refuses to let congress act in a way that doesn't hurt their economy? Say what? :)

#296 fifafu

fifafu

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

Barry wants another czar.

#297 fifafu

fifafu

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

If someone has to explain how they didn't write their own racist newsletters they are a moron at best. It's called the Ron Paul Freedom Report. No links, no other authors just editorials pinted under the single heading of The RON PAUL Freedom Report.

#298 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

Soldier in Trouble for Praising Ron Paul on National TV

Rep. Ron Paul likes to silence the GOP rivals who criticize his foreign policy as “dangerous” by reminding them that he receives more financial support from military personal than all the other candidates combined.

But the Army is now investigating whether a 28-year old reservist breached military protocol when he praised Paul’s foreign policy positions on national television during a Paul rally Tuesday night.

The soldier, Cpl. Jesse Thorsen, walked on stage and lobbed praise on the Texas congressman, calling his foreign policy “better than any candidate out there.”

At one point, Thorsen stopped, reached out his hand out to Paul and exclaimed, “I’m flabbergasted right now. This is an incredible moment for me. It’s like meeting a rock star.”

The Department of Defense policy does not prevent soldiers from advocating for a political candidate, but active duty troops wearing a uniform are expected to avoid activities that “imply official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement.” Thorsen is not active duty.

Thorsen has reportedly described himself as a 10-year veteran who has served two tours in Afghanistan and was due to head back for a third.

“I’ve been serving for 10 years now, and all 10 years of those have been during wartime,” Thorsen said. “I’d like to see a little peacetime Army, and I think [Paul] has the right idea.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/01/soldier-in-trouble-for-praising-ron-paul-on-national-tv/

Reserve Corporal Could Face Discipline After Paul Rally, but Candidate's Support Within Military Is Strong

Posted Image
Jan. 3, 2012: Cpl. Jesse Thorsen, an Army reservist, appeared in uniform to support Ron Paul at a post-Iowa caucuses rally, a no-no, according to Defense Department rules

Ron Paul boasts that he gets more fundraising dollars from military members than any other Republican presidential candidate, but the enthusiastic support of one enlisted man could get the supporter in trouble.

Cpl. Jesse Thorsen spoke at Paul's post-Iowa caucuses rally to give his support for the Texas congressman and his non-interventionist -- critics say isolationist -- policies calling for strict limits on the use of U.S. military power.

But Thorsen, 28, a reservist who preceded his appearance at the rally with an interview on CNN, was wearing his fatigues, and that is a violation of military code.

According to the Defense Department directive on political activities by military members, active duty forces are encouraged to vote and can sign petitions, serve as polling volunteers, contribute to campaigns and display political bumper stickers on their private vehicles.

However, they may not "participate in partisan political fundraising activities ... rallies, conventions (including making speeches in the course thereof), management of campaigns, or debates, either on one's own behalf or on that of another, without respect to uniform or inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement."

They also may not "speak before a partisan political gathering, including any gathering that promotes a partisan political party, candidate, or cause" or "participate in any radio, television or other program or group discussion as an advocate for or against a partisan political party, candidate or cause."

The directive also explains that non-active duty military members may participate in other political activities prohibited to active duty military members "provided the member is not in uniform and does not otherwise act in a manner that could reasonably give rise to the inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement."

Whether Thorsen, who reportedly has not been on active duty since October, will face disciplinary action remains to be seen. A Reserve spokeswoman was not immediately available to discuss his case.

But Thorsen's actions may be representative of a small but significant branch of military members, whose financial support gives Paul bragging rights.

Financial reporting through the end of the third quarter of 2011 shows Paul raised the third-most amount of money of Republican presidential candidates -- behind Mitt Romney and Rick Perry -- and well behind President Obama's massive take, but he has outperformed all his rivals in military donations.

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Paul collected $95,567 in campaign contributions through Sept. 30, 2011, from people who list their occupation as one of the branches of the U.S. military or Defense Department -- topping every other 2012 candidate, including Obama, who raised $72,616 through that reporting period.

Paul has been lambasted by his GOP competitors for what they say is a naive approach to Iran and for other policies that rivals like Newt Gingrich say are "stunningly dangerous for the survival of the United States."

But the conservative with a libertarian streak has refused to back down from his view that the Constitution never says anything about the U.S. being "the policemen of the world."

"We're not supposed to start pre-emptive war and go in and occupy countries," he told Fox News.

Paul noted that U.S. forces agree with him, as demonstrated in their contributions.

"Just think of the soldiers. I mean, why don't they have an opinion? They have to risk their lives. And they give me more money than the rest, twice as much as all the other candidates. Why is that ignored? Don't they have a say? Shouldn't they be able to reverse ... you know, give us an opinion?

"So if you ignore that, you do it at risk because this is endless and our country is bankrupt. We can't afford it," he continued. "We didn't beat the Soviets with a nuclear war. We beat the Soviets because they were ruined economically and that's what we're on the verge of doing to ourselves."

Former Air Force pilot Jim Forsythe, now a New Hampshire state senator, told Fox Business that Paul's policies would strengthen the military even while drawing down defense spending. He added that the biggest threat to the U.S. is debt.

"I served overseas and Dr. Paul understands what a lot of people don't -- there's a big distinction between military spending and defense spending," he said. "Spending money overseas makes us weaker economically. It also does nothing to strengthen our defense, whereas having our troops here at home does that," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/05/paul-earns-backing-from-troops-one-member-faces-possible-discipline/#ixzz1ibrvk7fs

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#299 unbridled_id

unbridled_id

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

Again you seem to be unable to weed out what was done and how it was done. You should stick to the legalization of heroin that is more your speed.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

#300 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

If someone has to explain how they didn't write their own racist newsletters they are a moron at best. It's called the Ron Paul Freedom Report. No links, no other authors just editorials pinted under the single heading of The RON PAUL Freedom Report.

I'd rather have a racist who wants to free all the minorities imprisoned due to the war on drugs, than a black president who is imprisoning them by the millions and using them as slave labor.

Action speaks louder than words... Unless you're a conservative. Then observable reality doesn't matter. :lol:

Again you seem to be unable to weed out what was done and how it was done. You should stick to the legalization of heroin that is more your speed.

Do you have anything to back up the bullsh!t you spew? Or is it all just shallow rhetoric? Tell us, what was done? How? Why is it bad? Why is legalization of heroin bad?

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.