The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Occupy Wall Street

Navyblue

I didn't think this would turn in to anything, but with the new support of some major unions I decided to start a thread.

Will this do any good? Will more credible groups support this cause?

Most recent article.

Reuters

By Ray Sanchez

NEW YORK | Sat Oct 1, 2011 2:59pm EDT

(Reuters) - Protesters who have camped out near Wall Street for two weeks marched on Friday on police headquarters in Manhattan over what they viewed as a heavy-handed police response to a previous demonstration.

The Occupy Wall Street movement, whose members have vowed to stay through the winter, are protesting issues including the 2008 bank bailouts, foreclosures and high unemployment.

More than 1,000 people marched past City Hall and arrived at a plaza outside police headquarters in the late afternoon. Some held banners criticizing police, while others chanted: "We are the 99 percent" and "The banks got bailed out, we got sold out."

Workers from the financial district on their way home watched as the marchers passed, with some saying it was not obvious what outcome organizers of the Occupy Wall Street movement wanted.

Police observed the march and kept protesters on the sidewalk, but no clashes were reported. Police said no arrests were made before the protest dispersed peaceably by 8 p.m. after the march.

"No to the NYPD crackdown on Wall St. protesters," organizers had said on their website, promoting the march. Other online flyers for the march read: "No to Stop-and-Frisk in Black & Latino neighborhoods" and "No to Spying and Harassment of Muslim Communities."

The protest came less than a week after police arrested 80 people during a march to the bustling Union Square shopping district, the most arrests by New York police at a demonstration since hundreds were detained outside the Republican National Convention in 2004.

A police commander used pepper spray on four women at last weekend's march and a video of the incident went viral on the Internet, angering many protesters who vowed to continue their protests indefinitely.

Police have said pepper spray was a better alternative than night sticks to subdue those blocking traffic.

RIGHT TO PROTEST

Friday's crowd appeared to have been boosted by an announcement that the rock band Radiohead would perform at 4 p.m. Later, organizers said on their website, "Radiohead will not being playing. This was a hoax. Please accept our apologies."

"We heard about Radiohead coming here on Facebook," said Alegra Felter, a 34-year-old teacher from Brooklyn who was among the disappointed rock fans.

The protest encampment in Zuccotti Park in downtown Manhattan is festooned with placards and anti-Wall Street slogans. There is a makeshift kitchen and library, and celebrities from filmmaker Michael Moore to actress Susan Sarandon have stopped by to show solidarity.

Asked on his weekly radio show on Friday whether the protesters could stay indefinitely at the private park they call their base, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said, "We'll see."

Bloomberg added: "People have a right to protest. But we also have to make sure that people who don't want to protest can go down the street unmolested."

While the protest has been made up mostly of young people, it also has recently attracted the support of a loose coalition of labor and community organizations.

Marty Goodman, a unionized subway worker, said, "Last year we had 900 of our members laid off ... These are our issues too: Wall Street, the banks, layoffs, the struggle that these young people are spearheading is our struggle too."

Among those pledging solidarity were the United Federation of Teachers and the Transport Workers Union Local 100, which has 38,000 members. The unions could provide important organizational and financial support for the largely leaderless movement.

Similar but smaller protests have also sprouted in other cities in recent days, including Boston, Chicago and San Francisco.

(Editing by Ellen Wulfhorst, Mark Egan and Cynthia Johnston)

Thought this was kinda interesting.

JP Morgan donates 4.6 million to NYPD

img_NY09.gif

New York City Police Foundation — New York

JPMorgan Chase recently donated an unprecedented $4.6 million to the New York City Police Foundation. The gift was the largest in the history of the foundation and will enable the New York City Police Department to strengthen security in the Big Apple. The money will pay for 1,000 new patrol car laptops, as well as security monitoring software in the NYPD's main data center.

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly sent CEO and Chairman Jamie Dimon a note expressing "profound gratitude" for the company's donation.

"These officers put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe," Dimon said. "We're incredibly proud to help them build this program and let them know how much we value their hard work."

Its being dubbed, Occupy Wall Street.

https://occupywallst.org/

Its been going on since September 17, 2011

Michael Moore has jumped in and tried to take a spotlight but generally there is no leader to this protest.

Live Stream of Wallstreet NY

http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution

The police brutality incident has helped shed media light on this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJa4MpsenU4

500 arrested at protest on NYC's Brooklyn Bridge

OCTOBER 1, 2011

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP116c5bb2085d406fb55bf816279084c4.html

every single one of them is a hero...

as a person who lost a good job in the last recession, and will probably lose my current job in case of another inevitable recession, its time to say:

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH....

How much humiliation can human beings take before doing something about it???

Corporations like goldman sachs are making countless billions off the misery of soo many, while obama and other world leaders are sitting in their palaces twiddling with their thumbs....

mark cuban hit the nail on the head, the stock market is no longer a place to raise revenue for businesses. Its a tool used by the rich and well connected to manipulate markets and add to their billions, while millions of normal hard working people see their life savings/retirements get decimated.

I can honestly now empathize with russians of 1920s, and the way they became radicalized and turned to communism...

Capitalistic western society has now become 5% kings, 95% Slaves.......

Enough is enough...

These "hippies" are being joined by every day people. Wall Street continues to make money, while unemployment goes up. The NYC mayor predicted their will be riots with in weeks if they don't do something about unemployment now. All the major news outlets in the USA (who have all made money off of Wall Street) are still barley covering this news story. A six person Republican tea party got more air time, than thousands of people marching on New York City, and hundreds marching on LA's city hall.

I read a tweet on the subject talking about US Marines (ex marines?) " serviceman Ward Reilly posted the following on Facebook: “I'm heading up there tonight in my dress blues. So far, 15 of my fellow marine buddies are meeting me there, also in Uniform.

Cue the military police. I don't think it is legal to wear those in that situation....

If the tweet is legitimate, it is very good to hear never the less. It's no secret that many enlisted men and women do not support wall street, highlighted by their large amounts of donations to Ron Paul.

This isn't just hipsters and anarchists. Look at the pictures...a lot are every day people who know that this is not a fair world.

From Veterans For Peace member, and Viet Nam combat veteran Billy Perry...live report from Wall St.::

High, Folks,

Just spent 8 hours, with 700 of my closest friends, being detained, while Occupying the Brooklyn Bridge.

At 3pm, We started marching around OUR city, when Bloomberg's NYPD entrapped us into using the Brooklyn Bridge roadway, rather than the raised deck of the Pedestrian Walkway. 9, or 10,000 Thousand folks, (like VFP's George Macanamy), were able to use the raised walkway, but those 700 of us on the actual Roadway got tired at the Mid-span of the Bridge, near the famous Neo-Gothic stone Suspension Cable Towers, and we plopped down to study the beautiful Archways built into the Towers, and the lovely geometric designs of the graceful steel suspension cables.

Mayor Bloomies NYPD didn't play that crap.

From 4pm to 7pm, we were absolutely saturated with rain, while the Police were realizing THEY, too, are part of the 99%, as big hits to their Pension Plans are being discussed. Police finally got about 10 big ass MTA busses, because their meat wagons were woefully inadequate, for all 700 of us. They backed the buses up from both the Brooklyn side, and the Manhattan side, and by 7pm, we were all on board the 2nd & 3rd waves of busses, and by 8pm, we were processed and locked into 1 person cells, crammed with 7 or 8 peeps each.

Note to Nate: The Communal "Mic Check" thingy really isn't Maoist brainwashing. We were able to communicate messages to all 20 cells, on opposite sides of the wing of the jail, for Legal Aid ph #'s, messages from the last to get out, to the 1st to get out to spread, and even the cops on the transport busses were using "Mic Check" to communicate to us which of the 3 processing Precincts we were going to, and all the niceties that kids who've never been detained should know.

We sang, laughed, joked, and grooved, until we were released, around 2am, and most of us got back to LIBERTY PLAZA by 3am, a mere 12 hours after our March left LIBERTY PLAZA.

I was honored to be jailed with all the young-uns (y'all wouldn't believe the age demographics of the kids), and it was my SECOND favorite DETENTION since Hosni Mubarak detained 600 of us, in Tahrir Square, on Dec 31, 2009 (13 months BEFORE the Revolution)

As for the JP Morgan chase thing, that happened three months ago..or at least that is the earliest I can find any mention of it. Late June.

Now while this is before the protest, that doesn't necessarily mean it is simply a coincidence. This occupy wall street movement has been planned for a while longer than three months, and I am sure many people know that these bankers are in the business of speculation.

We can only hope our brothers and sisters in the armed forces and police realize who the true enemy is. I don't think it's too much of a leap of faith to believe this can happen, and is happening.

Archived