The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Occupy Wall Street

Navyblue

Full disclosure is required here. I am what many would refer to as a hardcore leftist (even that ugly term Marxist). I look at it from the standpoint that capitalism is full of internal contradictions bursting at the seams. The labour "crisis" in the late 70's and early 80's resulted in the current credit crisis of the '10s; to me, they're all connected. One proceeds the other as a correlation. Consequently, a man like Paul, who is a Libertarian, will merely magnify the these contradictions. That is, if it wasn't for big government looking out for the elite,our economic foundation would have had a major hiccup already. Massive banks - too big to fail - would have, under Paul, brought light to the crisis that our system is currently under.

I am all for market libertarians. I'll be honest, from an intellectual standpoint I think they're morons, but as an end game - anything that speeds up the process is a plus.

The thing is, America is under the illusion that they have a purely democratic system. They do not. It is more accurately described as a CAPITALIST system. Sure, they have democracy, much like a double double has milk, but the main ingredient in the US Political and Economic engine (which cannot really be seperated) is CAPITALISM.

The concept of regulation and taxation of the 'money-makers' (ie - the rich) is a foreign concept and contrary to capitalist ideals.

Right or wrong, this is the system they created. What they are protesting is not the rich breaking the rules or diverting from 'the plan', what they are protesting is the plan itself, which is their entire system of governance, business, and 'the American Dream'.

IMHO

Americans Prefer Occupy Wall Streeters to Congress

10/5/11 at 3:18 PM

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/10/americans_prefer_occupy_wall_s.html

A new Rasmussen poll shows that 33 percent of Americans have a favorable view of the Wall Street protesters, compared with the 14 percent or so who said the same about the legislative branch. A whopping 79 percent also agreed with what Rasmussen characterized as the movement's main statement: "The big banks got bailed but the middle class got left behind." [PolitickerNY]

There's nothing wrong with the American system per se, but it can't remain viable in the face of the morally tainted economic and social locust horde of a generation known as the Baby Boomers.

Nothing's truly getting fixed until these decadent entitlement junkies fade away.

Interesting strategy.

I think free-market libertarianism is flawed, for traditional economic reasons, as well as the fact that it I think it would lead to a contradictory result: deregulation and increased "free" market (whatever that means) control would lead to increased power for the wealthy elite and corporations, and utimately less freedom (read: libertarian ideals) for the majority of people in the world.

On the other hand, that would probably cause me to not vote for Ron Paul...

But I've definitely heard the end-game argument. Since free-market capitalism became an economic reality (ironically legislated into existence), "left-wingers" have been preventing the collapse of such a ridiculously destructive economic system by introducing legislation to protect people from its destructiveness.

I think I'd have to be in a community that I thought could remain relatively self-sufficient for a long time before I would start voting or working towards the end game, instead of voting to try to prevent excesses of the "free" market ideology.

Thousands of Americans have non-violently occupied Wall St -- an epicentre of global financial power and corruption. They are the latest ray of light in a new movement for social justice that is spreading like wildfire from Madrid to Jerusalem to 146 other cities and counting, but they need our help to succeed.

As working families pay the bill for a financial crisis caused by corrupt elites, the protesters are calling for real democracy, social justice and anti-corruption. But they are under severe pressure from authorities, and some media are dismissing them as fringe groups. If millions of us from across the world stand with them, we'll boost their resolve and show the media and leaders that the protests are part of a massive mainstream movement for change.

This year could be our century's 1968, but to succeed it must be a movement of all citizens, from every walk of life. Click to join the call for real democracy -- a giant live counter of every one of us who signs the petition will be erected in the centre of the occupation in New York, and live webcasted on the petition page:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/the_world_vs_wall_st/?vl

Aaha, nope. That is so wrong its not even funny. I could go into specifics, but the summary of it is average person created the crash.

I want to see these people get their way just so they can all eat crow when they're living in real poverty. Want to know what would have happened if the "evil big banks" defaulted? Complete economic collapse, worse than post WW1 Germany.

This protest is idiotic. It has no focus at all (Everything from "People who make money are evil" to "I want pot to be legal."), most people are laughing at them because of their appearance and they understand absolutely nothing about economics.

This wont do anything, the people making money aren't the reason you don't have a job. The economy was in an unsustainable frenzy in the early 2000s. This is not a recession, this is the norm and what we were in before was an anomaly.

Aaha, nope. That is so wrong its not even funny. I could go into specifics, but the summary of it is average person created the crash.

I want to see these people get their way just so they can all eat crow when they're living in real poverty. Want to know what would have happened if the "evil big banks" defaulted? Complete economic collapse, worse than post WW1 Germany.

This protest is idiotic. It has no focus at all (Everything from "People who make money are evil" to "I want pot to be legal."), most people are laughing at them because of their appearance and they understand absolutely nothing about economics.

This wont do anything, the people making money aren't the reason you don't have a job. The economy was in an unsustainable frenzy in the early 2000s. This is not a recession, this is the norm and what we were in before was an anomaly.

Archived