1668 replies to this topic

#1 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

Seemed logical to open up a Calgary Flames thread for this season considering that the Flames' season opener will be this evening. As before, the rules against trolling fans from all teams is prohibited. (I give it 7 posts until it is violated though...Posted Image)

The projected lines for the opener are as follows (as per flames.nhl.com):

PROJECTED FLAMES LINES & PAIRINGS

Alex Tanguay - David Moss - Jarome Iginla
Curtis Glencross - Olli Jokinen - Lee Stempniak
Niklas Hagman - Roman Horak - Rene Bourque
Tom Kostopoulos - Matt Stajan - Tim Jackman

Mark Giordano - Scott Hannan
Chris Butler - Jay Bouwmeester
Anton Babchuk - Cory Sarich

Miikka Kiprusoff

PROJECTED PENGUINS LINES & PAIRINGS

Steve Sullivan - Evgeni Malkin - James Neal
Chris Kunitz - Jordan Staal - Tyler Kennedy
Matt Cooke - Mark Letestu - Pascal Dupuis
Craig Adams - Joe Vitale - Arron Asham

Kris Letang - Deryk Engelland
Paul Martin - Zbynek Michalek
Matt Niskanen - Ben Lovejoy

Marc-Andre Fleury

It'll be interesting to see how the D pairings are going to work for Calgary. Hannan helps make up for the loss of Regehr and I think he will help Giordano balance out the top pairing but will Butler be able to anchor the 2nd pairing and provide the stability needed to allow Bouwmeester to jump into the play and play the offensive style that is required of him?

And how will Stajan fair on the 4th line? Will he create space for TKo and Jackman to crash the net and create havoc or will the puck constantly be turned over at the Pens' blueline?

After a LOOOOONG summer, so happy that hockey's back!

Edited by GototheFlamestotheGo, 08 October 2011 - 09:58 AM.

#2 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

Good on ya for creating this topic

Didn't realize Stajan is down to 4th line.

Good luck to the Flames - they will need it :P
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#3 Zach Parise

Zach Parise

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

LOL at the Flames lineup, Sutter is drinking early ...

#4 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:06 AM

Yeah, he is definitely in Sutter's doghouse. And I don't really blame him. He had a very mediocre pre-season and got out played by Horak, even though Horak didn't get any points.

I didn't get the watch the Canucks-Pens game. How were the Pens playing? Who should we be watching for?

#5 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:07 AM

LOL at the Flames lineup, Sutter is drinking early ...

Care to explain

Are you referring to combos?

#6 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,607 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

I'm going to predict Flames will make the playoffs and finish 8th.

Round 1 - Flames vs Canucks.

IT'S REVENGE TIME BABY FROM '04!
Posted Image

#7 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

Yeah, he is definitely in Sutter's doghouse. And I don't really blame him. He had a very mediocre pre-season and got out played by Horak, even though Horak didn't get any points.

I didn't get the watch the Canucks-Pens game. How were the Pens playing? Who should we be watching for?

General intensity was good from the Pens. No one really stood out to me except for maybe Letang

#8 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

I'm going to predict Flames will make the playoffs and finish 8th.

Round 1 - Flames vs Canucks.

IT'S REVENGE TIME BABY FROM '04!

Not gonna lie, that would be awesome! Though...I would wish the Flames and Canucks met in the West finals. That would guarantee atleast 1 Canadian team in the Cup finals. (Calgary, OBVIOUSLY! Posted Image)

#9 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

I hope for Stajan's sake he can come out of the gate and play well. Otherwise he will be the odd man out once BMo and Backlund come back.

Horak did all the little things right in pre-season even though he had no points. He's looking like a solid 2-way pivot. If he gets 20-30 points I will be very happy.

It's too bad Backlund is hurt for such a long time. He was looking pretty good.

I'm excited for Butler as well. I think him and JBo will make a very good pairing. Both are very mobile and should complement each other well.

Bring on the Pens!

1zf4oy1.jpg

#10 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:32 AM

oh dear, with that lineup the Flames'll burn brightly indeed :lol: frankly, Kipper needs to stand on his head for the Pens to not bury them early, b/c I don't see anyone from the Flames' centers who are capable of shutting down Geno; as well, OP is it really a smart move for your team's coach to start Moss on 1st when he has Olli on the 2nd? and why is Hagman still on the 3rd line? I would rather have Jackman get bumped up and play somewhat of a power forward type's role

frankly as evidenced in the Canucks' game vs. Pitt I believe that the Pens' wingers and DEPTH (esp. Dupuis, Cooke, Sullivan, Letestu, Vitale) will be all over the Flames, and adding that to gamebreakers like Malkin and Neal the Flames could be in tough unless Miikka holds down the fort, otherwise it could be a blowout

Posted Image

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#11 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:44 AM

oh dear, with that lineup the Flames'll burn brightly indeed :lol: frankly, Kipper needs to stand on his head for the Pens to not bury them early, b/c I don't see anyone from the Flames' centers who are capable of shutting down Geno; as well, OP is it really a smart move for your team's coach to start Moss on 1st when he has Olli on the 2nd? and why is Hagman still on the 3rd line? I would rather have Jackman get bumped up and play somewhat of a power forward type's role

frankly as evidenced in the Canucks' game vs. Pitt I believe that the Pens' wingers and DEPTH (esp. Dupuis, Cooke, Sullivan, Letestu, Vitale) will be all over the Flames, and adding that to gamebreakers like Malkin and Neal the Flames could be in tough unless Miikka holds down the fort, otherwise it could be a blowout

Jokinen is on the 2nd line because he does not play well with Iggy and Tanguay, simple as that. I agree with you on the Moss part. He's a winger converted to center, but Sutter said he likes Moss at center so it is what it is. With Backlund out the 1st line center role will be a revolving door anyways. Hagman's on the 3rd line because he has yet to prove himself with the Flames.

We're pretty deep in the wing position if they can get their acts together. Unfortunately our center position is pretty weak.

Around 10 mil comes off the books this summer. A lot of cap flexibility. Hopefully Feaster doesn't make the same mistake like Sutter and waste all that cap.

Lots of interesting RFA's next year

Edited by Ronk, 08 October 2011 - 10:45 AM.

1zf4oy1.jpg

#12 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

You are in trouble as an organization if any one of those centres, including B-Mo, are your #1 guy. At least there is some youth starting to sneak into Sutter's line-up.

It looks like another year of early tee times for the Flames, to me.

Posted ImagePosted Image

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#13 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 64,607 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

http://twitter.com/#!/PensInsideScoop - #Pens Staal is on the ice for the team's morning skate in Calgary -SK
Posted Image

#14 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,966 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

They have no depth at center eh? Like if Jokinen were to go down they're really left with no one good.

Gonna be an interesting season for them. I heard they're gonna lighten Kiprusoff's load this year. About time.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#15 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

http://twitter.com/#!/PensInsideScoop - #Pens Staal is on the ice for the team's morning skate in Calgary -SK

Why wouldn't he be?

#16 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,538 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

Getting exposed by one of the better teams in the league, not a surprise. Have fun flames fans....again
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#17 Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

Slow and old again this year... it really is just the Blackhawks for us, nowadays.
EMBRACE THE HATE

#18 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,874 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

Atta way Kippzay!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Upshall18

Upshall18

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

Am I looking at the box score right? The Flames only have 9 shots all game and it's the third period?

#20 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,608 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

When the Flames realize a rebuild is necesarry then I will respect them.

f54xok.jpg

Vintage Canuck

#21 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

Can they comeback?
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#22 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

Another horrendous start to the season. From the Flames perspective, excellent first 10 mins, followed by some of the laziest 40 mins of hockey I've seen in a long time, topped off with 10 mins of trying to cover their ass.

Offensively, the lack of center depth was extremely apparent. No anchor on any of the lines, except Olli's, to help out the wingers. Tanguay had some impressive moments, culminating in the slap-pass goal but other than that, it was nothing special.

Defensively, I thought Giordano and Hannan were pretty good. Gio especially was solid with the blocked shots and the nice dangle on the first goal. Definitely our best player tonight. That said, Butler and Bouwmeester helped balance the top pairing out by playing extremely lazy hockey in the middle 40 mins.

Goaltending, what's to say? 4 goals against, the 1st one being one that Kipper would like to have back for sure. Not much support for Kipper and there were lots of odd-man rushes but he still should have been a tad bit deeper in his net on the 1st goal.

One can only hope that it's all better from here on out.

#23 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,966 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:36 PM

Same old story as last year eh? Flames seem to only play the first and last 10 minutes of the game.

Their D is awful. What happened to Jay Bouwmeester? His cap hit is brutal ($6,680,000) and he's not the team's #1 dman. Not even close. He seems to screw up and trip over himself on every shift. And a NTC as well. Brutal contract if I ever saw one.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#24 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

Calgary Tower not looking good today

#25 JoeyBats

JoeyBats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

Going to be a long season in Calgary, they should seriously consider tanking and drafting Yakupov

View PostR.Luongo.1, on 10 October 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

Your stupid
Your dum

#26 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,274 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

Going to be a long season in Calgary, they should seriously consider tanking and drafting Yakupov

Fail for Nail.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#27 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

I feel sorry for Igina(sp?) that he will never win the cup.....he doesnt derserve this...he should be asking to be traded...flames will never be good unless they get a young talented player

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 10 October 2011 - 02:05 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#28 hockeyislife4

hockeyislife4

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

Calgary is well on its way to a 0-82 season.

Scratching Babchuk for an unproven rookie? pfft.

Edited by hockeyislife4, 10 October 2011 - 02:16 PM.

Posted Image

View PostRoyalFlush2233, on 10 November 2010 - 03:24 PM, said:

Hockey IS life. Well, you must take the game very seriously.. a dedicated work ethic and a never-ending commitment to the game:

I think that Steve Yzerman would be a good fit for you.

#29 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

Another rough game this afternoon. The commitment to team defense has been non-existent and everybody's trying to be a freakin' dangler. Too many players are trying to force plays that don't exist and then stop skating when it doesn't work. Not good. Very reminiscent of Mike Keenan era hockey and that was one of the worst displays of team defense since the lockout in the entire NHL.

3 positives:

1.) Jarome got his 1st goal and that should hopefully help him gain some confidence and get back to playing the way we know him to play.

2.) Karl getting the start shows that the coaching staff wants to rest Kipper and want to give him the quality practice time and rest time that he needs to be fresh and ready to go whenever he starts. That's a nice change.

3.) Horak has a good game once again and played relatively responsible. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a shot on the top line with Tangs and Iggy considering Moss' inability as a makeshift top line center and Stajan's doghouse situation.

This team in both games had the opportunity to do things right and play as a committed unit. They just aren't playing on the same page. Hopefully the next 2 days will help iron out those issues and we'll see Kipper setting the franchise mark in wins in Montreal.

Edited by GototheFlamestotheGo, 10 October 2011 - 04:12 PM.

#30 Slick McGiggits

Slick McGiggits

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

0-2-0 :emot-parrot:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.