Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

Calgary Flames 2011/2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1668 replies to this topic

#1621 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,519 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

GotoFlames, hate to break it to you, but the Young Stars tournament has been cancelled.

Edited by gmen81, 24 June 2012 - 09:18 AM.

Posted Image

#1622 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

Why would Calgary want to rebuild? The other teams in their division are getting better. Their star players are getting older. The cupboards are bare of top prospects.

Here's why Calgary doesn't need to rebuild. Their fans are dumb enough to keep paying to watch this sad sack team, left empty buy Sutter and directionless by Fiester. Calgary is filled with stupid money and ownership will gladly keep raking it in.

No change is needed. lol, If any Calgary fan thinks it was a good draft day, good for you. It must feel good and that's about it. Quite simply Calgary did nothing to improve. They're just a year older, filled with hope, leaving them hopeless. Just like Toronto.

I love it.

Bandwagoner. Are you telling me that when the Canucks start to falter and their cup window closes (and it will happen as it does to all teams), you will abandon them and not support them? And if you do support them during the tough times, are you an idiot for doing so?

GotoFlames, hate to break it to you, but the Young Stars tournament has been cancelled.

Oh really?! That sucks! How come?

#1623 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

Starting to love the Jankowski pick the more I read on him.

Will reserve my judgement until he finishes the season with Dubuque next year, a program that produced Girgensons and Matheson this year, our very own Johnny Gaudreau last year.

Edited by Sven Baertschi, 24 June 2012 - 11:00 AM.

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#1624 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Bandwagoner? I've never liked Calgary and been a Canucks fan since their conception .

#1625 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

Bandwagoner? I've never liked Calgary and been a Canucks fan since their conception .

I'm not saying that you're a Calgary fan. I'm saying that you have a fairweather attitude about being a fan of a team you love (be it the Canucks or the Flames or anyone) and statements like "Their fans are dumb enough to keep paying to watch this sad sack team" prove that.

This is also why I asked whether you will abandon the Canucks once they start to decline. A question that you conveniently ignored.

#1626 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Alot of flames fans hate the Jankowski pick, he should be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, cant believe they passed on Olli Maata. Feaster is in huge trouble.
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#1627 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

I'm not saying that you're a Calgary fan. I'm saying that you have a fairweather attitude about being a fan of a team you love (be it the Canucks or the Flames or anyone) and statements like "Their fans are dumb enough to keep paying to watch this sad sack team" prove that.

This is also why I asked whether you will abandon the Canucks once they start to decline. A question that you conveniently ignored.

There's a difference between turning on your team and blindly accepting mediocrity with a smile. I think the Flames team and management have really let their fans down the last three seasons, and to say otherwise is to be delusional.

When i hear the latest Flames' spin tactics (i.e.

"One of the teams in the Stanley Cup finals, the L.A. Kings, just finished five points ahead of the Calgary Flames," Hartley said during his introductory press conference. "It's just to show you the difference between being a Stanley Cup winner and a non-playoff team is very, very slim."

The point difference might be slim, but that's where it ends. LA recovered just in time thanks to a mid-season coaching change, but it's clear that the LA Kings of 2012 were head and shoulders above all of their competition.

Add the comments of John Weisbrod passed along through the mouth of Jay Feaster during the Entry Draft concerning first round draft pick Mark Jankowski, it just shows how willing the Flames are to attempt to dazzle their audience with worthless words and opinions rather than action. Time will tell, John Weisbrod may very well be correct in his assessment of Jankowski,(or more likely not) but that doesn't mean Jay Feaster has to repeat it on television as if it's an established fact.

A lot of promises and talk, but the moves haven't lived up to the hype.

It's been the same old song and dance the last two offseasons for Calgary, and when a team doesn't improve itself, it will make it harder to attract free agents who are serious about anything other than a payday.

If Calgary can make some real moves and try to improve their team during the offseason, then this may be a thing of the past. It seems to me that there are people in positions of power with the Flames who are more afraid to make a move than to do nothing at all.

Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#1628 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,085 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

There's a difference between turning on your team and blindly accepting mediocrity with a smile. I think the Flames team and management have really let their fans down the last three seasons, and to say otherwise is to be delusional.

When i hear the latest Flames' spin tactics (i.e.

"One of the teams in the Stanley Cup finals, the L.A. Kings, just finished five points ahead of the Calgary Flames," Hartley said during his introductory press conference. "It's just to show you the difference between being a Stanley Cup winner and a non-playoff team is very, very slim."

The point difference might be slim, but that's where it ends. LA recovered just in time thanks to a mid-season coaching change, but it's clear that the LA Kings of 2012 were head and shoulders above all of their competition.

Add the comments of John Weisbrod passed along through the mouth of Jay Feaster during the Entry Draft concerning first round draft pick Mark Jankowski, it just shows how willing the Flames are to attempt to dazzle their audience with worthless words and opinions rather than action. Time will tell, John Weisbrod may very well be correct in his assessment of Jankowski,(or more likely not) but that doesn't mean Jay Feaster has to repeat it on television as if it's an established fact.

A lot of promises and talk, but the moves haven't lived up to the hype.

It's been the same old song and dance the last two offseasons for Calgary, and when a team doesn't improve itself, it will make it harder to attract free agents who are serious about anything other than a payday.

If Calgary can make some real moves and try to improve their team during the offseason, then this may be a thing of the past. It seems to me that there are people in positions of power with the Flames who are more afraid to make a move than to do nothing at all.

I agree - trying to suggest that the Flames are close is beyond unconvincing - it unbelievable that they are still trying to sell that unrealistic line. They are much closer to Columbus than they are the 8th seed in the West....and Feaster just seems like he is a step or two behind everyone else... Jankowski may turn out to be a very good player, but everyone I talked to got a hell of a laugh out of the impression they got from Feaster at the draft - like the player, he came accross as a boy among men.

#1629 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

Alot of flames fans hate the Jankowski pick, he should be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, cant believe they passed on Olli Maata. Feaster is in huge trouble.

Not really? Sure there's a lot of confusion at first, but after reading more and more on him I think a lot of fans are excited about this pick.

As for being a 2nd/3rd rounder, no. Weisbrod came out and said he knew at least 2 teams that would've taken him with their 1st pick. I'd trust him.

Maatta is the "safe" pick for sure, but I like how we're swinging for the fences here. Could have the #1 center that this team desperately needs for the last 2 years.

Joe Nieuwendyk v2

3499h5x.jpg

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

#1630 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

I agree - trying to suggest that the Flames are close is beyond unconvincing - it unbelievable that they are still trying to sell that unrealistic line. They are much closer to Columbus than they are the 8th seed in the West....and Feaster just seems like he is a step or two behind everyone else... Jankowski may turn out to be a very good player, but everyone I talked to got a hell of a laugh out of the impression they got from Feaster at the draft - like the player, he came accross as a boy among men.

Because he is? If he was born 2 days later he would've been a '13 draftee.

3499h5x.jpg

#1631 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,085 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Because he is? If he was born 2 days later he would've been a '13 draftee.

I meant Feaster (like the player he was drafting). His story was a bit much - we were going to trade our pick, but then my scout told me no, here's the kid that is going to be the best player in the draft (based upon watching him compete against high schoolers..) The 'best' part gives the impression these guys aren't that realistic.
Just kinda made me sad for Flames fans, but couldn't help but laugh my ass off with a few friends. Whether it turns out to be true or not, you gotta admit, it came across as kinda...weak.

Edited by oldnews, 26 June 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#1632 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

Not really? Sure there's a lot of confusion at first, but after reading more and more on him I think a lot of fans are excited about this pick.

Of course. Everyone connected to the Flames seems to be crazy about him. Whether Jankowski will live up to the hype in the future remains to be seen. The one thing I found hilarious is how TSN repeated over and over again how Craig Button had Jankowski at 15th, while most other 'experts' had him in the late first or early to mid second round. Of course no one bothers to mention that Craig's brother Tod is the scouting director for the Flames. Gee Craig, I wonder where you got your info from?

As for being a 2nd/3rd rounder, no. Weisbrod came out and said he knew at least 2 teams that would've taken him with their 1st pick. I'd trust him.

Yeah, that's an easy thing to say after the 1st round has ended. Did Weisbrod mention these 'two or three teams' by name? I bet if he did the validity of his claim would be found out quickly one way or another. All the more reason not to mention them.

Maatta is the "safe" pick for sure, but I like how we're swinging for the fences here. Could have the #1 center that this team desperately needs for the last 2 years.

Joe Nieuwendyk v2

Honestly it sounds to me like you're just buying into the Flames' sell job to their fans. Comparing Jankowski to Nieuwendyk is so pre-emptive, you might as pick a random baby on the street and say he's the next Wayne Gretzky. I don't see any reason to trust Feaster or Weisbrod implicitly. I would be very afraid that they may re-sign Jokinen and some of the other old guard that only show up every other game.

There were lots of great centres available in the draft, the one Buffalo selected with Calgary's pick, Girgensons already has 2 seasons with Dubuque under his belt, and he's skilled, fast and tough. Unless Jankowski dominates American junior the way he dominated prep school hockey, Girgensons will be NHL ready much sooner.

Calgary might be able to cobble together a decent team ala the Coyotes if the coaching is up to snuff, but I still think there's an attitude in that locker room the last 3 years that coaches haven't been able to overcome.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#1633 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

Of course. Everyone connected to the Flames seems to be crazy about him. Whether Jankowski will live up to the hype in the future remains to be seen. The one thing I found hilarious is how TSN repeated over and over again how Craig Button had Jankowski at 15th, while most other 'experts' had him in the late first or early to mid second round. Of course no one bothers to mention that Craig's brother Tod is the scouting director for the Flames. Gee Craig, I wonder where you got your info from?

Yeah, that's an easy thing to say after the 1st round has ended. Did Weisbrod mention these 'two or three teams' by name? I bet if he did the validity of his claim would be found out quickly one way or another. All the more reason not to mention them.

Honestly it sounds to me like you're just buying into the Flames' sell job to their fans. Comparing Jankowski to Nieuwendyk is so pre-emptive, you might as pick a random baby on the street and say he's the next Wayne Gretzky. I don't see any reason to trust Feaster or Weisbrod implicitly. I would be very afraid that they may re-sign Jokinen and some of the other old guard that only show up every other game.

There were lots of great centres available in the draft, the one Buffalo selected with Calgary's pick, Girgensons already has 2 seasons with Dubuque under his belt, and he's skilled, fast and tough. Unless Jankowski dominates American junior the way he dominated prep school hockey, Girgensons will be NHL ready much sooner.

Calgary might be able to cobble together a decent team ala the Coyotes if the coaching is up to snuff, but I still think there's an attitude in that locker room the last 3 years that coaches haven't been able to overcome.

Bravo btw. Not your typical "hahah Flames suck the Canucks are the best!" arguments for once. I like it. :)

I saw this article the Flames website staff wrote themselves about Jankowski. I think pretty much sums up the argument.

At this point, there's nothing people can say until these prospects play.

Here's the article: http://flames.nhl.co...st.htm?id=10284

My favorite quote:

There is also argument that there were better players available at 21 but really, I take that notion with a grain of salt. The draft turns a lot of people into armchair GM's and scouts when in reality they haven't seen any of these kids play live. And you need to have seen a prospect play live to truly evaluate their strengths and weaknesses. Sitting on your couch and watching the World Juniors or the Memorial Cup doesn't make you a scout.

3499h5x.jpg

#1634 Xx Malcolm

Xx Malcolm

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

Do most flames fans realize that their team is going to be horrendous for a decade+?

#1635 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,608 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

Congrats on Wideman, he's dope.

iM9vOuM.jpg

#1636 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

Sven going to be the calder winner that's my bold prediction.
GO Canucks GO

#1637 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,611 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

Sven going to be the calder winner that's my bold prediction.

Sven pigs fly....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1638 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Legitimate guess :emot-parrot:

3499h5x.jpg

#1639 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,519 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

#1640 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

Wow, I can't believe July 1 is almost over and Calgary hasn't signed Jokinen yet.

Maybe there is hope after all.
Posted Image

#1641 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,611 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

Wow, I can't believe July 1 is almost over and Calgary hasn't signed Jokinen yet.

Maybe there is hope after all.

Apparently, the winters in Cowtown weren't quite cold enough for Joker....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1642 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

Sooo interestingly a second cowtown media guy has stated that the Canucks have bypassed the Oilers as the Flames biggest rival. Andrew Walker of FAN 960 was on TEAM 1040 this morning and he says it isn't even close and that the hate level for the Canucks is soaring....music to the ears.....eh Banned? :)

Edited by pimpcurtly, 03 August 2012 - 04:55 PM.

Posted Image

#1643 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

Sooo interestingly a second cowtown media guy has stated that the Canucks have bypassed the Oilers as the Flames biggest rival. Andrew Walker of FAN 960 was on TEAM 1040 this morning and he says it isn't even close and that the hate level for the Canucks is soaring....music to the ears.....eh Banned? : :)

Much easier to hate a team that is actually good
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#1644 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

Much easier to hate a team that is actually good

And apparently Flames fans really hate that we are good. :)
Posted Image

#1645 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

And apparently Flames fans really hate that we are good. :)

Believe me...............I know all about it :lol:
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#1646 Clonedanielsedin

Clonedanielsedin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:14 AM

Jiri Hudler is a sneaky little bugger... pulls off goals that just piss you off, I don't know if its the timing or the expression on his face after he scores. A player I never liked joining the Flames. Perfect.

Edited by NoSpeakaEnglesh, 04 August 2012 - 02:19 AM.

#1647 Oilers9977

Oilers9977

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

It's nice to be a playoff bubble team, but I have no idea what Calgary is doing. I know Flames fans always point to how much younger their team has gotten, but quality is more important that quantity when you count on younger players.

Besides this Bearchi fella, what is there to look forward to? Right now the Flames are a good/average team. Not a bad team and not a great team. They don't look like they will be a great team anytime in the near future unless some youngsters turn into a bunch of Eberle's, etc out of nowhere.

Iginla already looked like he slopwed down last year. Kiprusoff is the glue that holds it together. It's like they keep patching a sinking ship with duct tape.

#1648 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

So terrible to sell out

gawd

3499h5x.jpg

#1649 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Prospects update:

2011 draft:
1 - LW Sven Baertschi (Abbotsford Heat): 19GP 6G 11A 17Pts
2 - W Markus Granlund (HIFK): 29GP 5G 9A 14Pts
2 - D Tyler Wotherspoon (Portland Winterhawks): 29GP 3G 20A 23Pts
4 - LW Johnny Gaudreau (Boston College): 14GP 11G 12A 23Pts
6 - G Laurent Brossoit (Edmonton Oil Kings): 22GP 2.65GAA .903sv%

2012 draft:
1 - C Mark Jankowski (Providence College): 14GP 4G 4A 8Pts
2 - D Pat Sieloff (Windsor Spitfires): 34GP 3G 6A 9Pts
3 - G Jon Gilles (Providence College): 15GP 1.95GAA .928sv%
4 - D Brett Kulak (Vancouver Giants): 24GP 4G 10A 14Pts
5 - D Ryan Culkin (Quebec Ramparts): 33GP 3G 24A 27Pts
6 - LW Coda Gordon (Swift Current Broncos): 32GP 8G 18A 26Pts
7 - C Matt DeBlouw (Michigan State): 17GP 4G 9A 13Pts

:towel:

Say what you want but Feaster and Weisbrod have completely turned Flames' drafting around

Edited by Sven Baertschi, 20 December 2012 - 05:58 PM.

3499h5x.jpg

#1650 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

It's a positive sign indeed. A lot of these guys look like they have top 6/top 4 potential, which has been a rarity for the Flames. More than that, it looks like for the first time in a long time, the Flames management seems to care about icing a strong AHL team, which is so crucial in building a culture of success.

We're far from contending for the cup but these are all optimistic signs.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.