The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

remember THE GOALIE GRAVEYARD days

shawn antoski

I suspect when the D tightens up Luo's game and confidence will follow.

Luo is a good goalie and can be great when on a roll.

It is clear that the D has to shine for Luo to have a chance to excel.

The days when he carried the team are long over at this point in time.

The reason vancouver is considered a goalie graveyard is because we get reasonably to immensly talented goalies, expect them to win the jennings, vezina, and stanley cup in the first 2 years they are here, and as soon as that doesnt happen, the fans/media belittle them and show absolutely no confidence therefore turning them into head cases and inevitably ruining their game. Luongo is not the cure to the goalie graveyard, but he will be the greatest goalie destroyed by fans that expect way too much. Since luongo has gotten here he has won the jennings, been nominated for the vezina twice, and been to the stanley cup finals, and yet he gets the most disrespect.

There is no one else to blame but the fans/media.

schneider and lack are not taking you to the stanley cup finals..... just saying

And Luongo is???????? He has lost his confidence and my opinion he wont get it back . I have seen it happen

to lots of players and as hard as they try to get it back - it doesnt seem to happen. He also has had 3 chances to get us

a cup and hasn't maybe its time to give Schneider and whoever a chance.

Cloutier was the same person, essentially. He was an excellent goalie, until he got spooked in the playoffs. Luongo, same thing. Luongo isn't mentally there, when the chips are down. With the team we have now, and a tandem of Cloutier (in his prime) and Schneider, we might have made it as far as with Luongo. When Cloutier was around we were much more a one line team. The Sedins hadn't found their third twin yet, and the lower end of our defense was suspect.

I don't think Luongo is playing worth the money we've been giving him. He's been playing at about a Cloutier level, with a better team keeping his wins up. That said, a Cloutier-level is good enough, provided you realise what you're working with. Remember, most of the records Luongo has been breaking for season wins etc, were Cloutier's. We have a better back-up now, a potential starter on any other team. We are blessed in having Luongo in that you can TELL when he's going to have an off night, (except in instances like last night where he barely faces anything till the third) within 10 minutes of play. Putting Schneider in for those games would be a solution any coach would love to have. Putting Auld in when Cloutier was rattled (not just when injured)would have prolonged a series or two as well.

Unfortunately, our coaching refuses to believe what any fan can see clear as day, and doesn't use this goalie tandem with any effectiveness. When Luongo is obviously playing poorly, or has had a particularly bad blowout, put Schneider in the next game, playoffs or not. Make it an expectation, so that Luongo doesn't assume the start the next game is his, and so can't get mad/feel embarassed by a game-day coaching decision. If the expectation is there ahead of time, it can't be said to reflect a lack of faith in Luongo, but rather is a normal occurrence. Make it an expectation that if Luongo is pulled from a game, Schneider gets the next start, unless he plays poorly too. If the expectation is set ahead of time, you take ammunition away from the fans, and the media. The speculation about whether Luongo is playing or not, whether the coach has faith in Luongo, becomes less prevalent. The catch phrase can be "This isn't about a lack of faith in Luongo, but rather an abundance of faith in our back-up." Repeat that often enough, and the media will get bored with it.

The only downside to this argument is that opposing teams may have more warning than usual about who they might be facing. So be it. When a well rested and undaunted duo of goalies are presented in Vancouver, there will be less bad games, and more stymied opponents.

Now there's a bizarre argument.

After Roy said he was done, he was traded to another team. How many Stanley Cups have the Canadiens won since then? I'll give you a hint. It's not as many as Roy did.

Are you advocating that Luongo get traded elsewhere so that he can win a Cup there?

lol GENIUS . all the goalies on my list played here after richard brodeur and kirk mclean

LAST TIME I CHECKED SCHEINDER HAS ONLY STARTED 32 NHL GAMES IN HIS WHOLE LIFE and his record is 19-10-3

LUONGO is an elite goaltender just like LUNDQUIST KIPPER MILLER THOMAS BRYZGOLOV FLEURY AND WARD

SCHNEIDER is still the same LEVEL as VARMALOV or RASK

<br />Is crap posts like this defending Lou that makes things worse. Saying stuff that is full of crap to defend someone who clearly sucking is pathetic. <br />Ward won a cup in his rookie season of which he had a 14-8 regular season.<br />Fleury and Ward were both in their early 20s when they won.<br />Lou will be 33 freaken years old when playoffs roll around. If Lou needs to learn at this point the team is screwed.<br />If he cant handle his home fans booing how is he to get mentally tough enough to win in places like Boston and Chicago?<br />Goalie graveyard my ass,,,King Richard, Maclean are still our heros to Canuck fans. <br />It is Lou that has brought this upon himself with his arrogance and indifference in recent times. <br />I see nothing in Cory Schneider that leads me to believe he couldnt handle being our #1 goalie.<br />Every single team has had moments where they had a &quot;goalie graveyard&quot; for stretches.<br />There is 50 goalies that could give us a chance to win almost every night, something Lou and his 5.33 million doesnt.<br />

its funny how all the Luo hating started right after he got his 5.33 million a year contract! that would keep him here and safe from being traded.. most the hate comes from the fact that a lot of people didn't think he had earned that pay check yet, and a lot of people don't think hes earned it sense! given the last seasons play offs and how the ended there are alot of fans out there with broken harts that are looking for someone to blame and hes an easy target!

Let's cut the crap here with all this smooshy, weak and whiny West Coast attitude of "Ohhh poooor such and such"

Luongo's regular season stats vs. Cloutiers are not nearly worth what he is being paid.

Luongo has proven he is not able to close the deal in the playoffs, just like Cloutier.

Luongo deserves the flak he is taking.

End Thread.

Archived