Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

remember THE GOALIE GRAVEYARD days

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
182 replies to this topic

#91 kacvan

kacvan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

Most of the fans who post here arn't old enough to remember some of those goaltenders, I only know of 5 on that list. Vancouver is no longer a goalie graveyard there are other far worse teams out there now.

Edited by kacvan, 19 October 2011 - 06:25 PM.

Posted Image

Keep The Faith The Canucks Will Win!!

#92 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

kirk mclean was loved by canucks fan and always will be because he is not a head case like luongo.
Heres why we loved kirk:
kirk never gave up on the puck and let people just score 3 or 4 consecutive goals in a period.
kirk never asked for a salary contract that front loaded him with 10 million dollars per year (overpayment).
kirk never expected other goalies to "pump his tires".
kirk didn't have problems with breakaways.

Cory schneider is a lot like Kirk and will be even better in today's NHL.

You obviously didn't watch Kirk in his final 2 seasons he was worse than Cloutier.

#93 kacvan

kacvan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

Haha Corey Hirsch's photo has Trevor Linden in it! Oddly enough I have a Trevor Linden hockey card that says Habs on it but he is in an Iles jersey...
Posted Image

Keep The Faith The Canucks Will Win!!

#94 surfer53

surfer53

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

At this time, I would suggest that we all direct our frustration where it belongs - at the NHL brass, who, in case anyone has been paying attention, has been horribly incapable of managing a decidedly inconsistent group of on-ice officials. Let's face it, the reason Boston defeated Vancouver last year was due to their physicality. But year to year, we see that, depending on the teams involved, that standard changes. The team that bangs up the other isn't always the one who wins, individual and collective talent notwithstanding. Some teams win series on the shoulders of their physical play, while others are golfing after the first round because of it. No wonder we're having a problem with headshots if players don't know the rules.

Forget a conspiracy, ladies and gentleman. Let's start with the possibility of sheer incompetence. When you put a man with a background in basketball and expect him to run an entirely different sport with a different culture and different fans on business and legal knowledge alone, you have the current state of professional hockey. Colin Campbell and Brendan Shanahan appear to be doing their best, but as long as the mandate and the people at the top remain the same, you have the state with which we are in and what is driving these discussions.

#95 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,027 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

Kirk McLean wasn't THAT good. Good playoff goaltender who was pretty clutch and had one amazing run but it's not like he was a superstar goalie. Luongo is a much better goaltender. And if you want to talk about what McLean did for this team versus what Luongo did, what game did Kirk lose in again? And I'm a huge McLean fan ps.

Luongo has brought more to this team than any goaltender in the past ever has. Guys like Richard Brodeur and Kirk McLean gave this team a lot of great memories...but Luongo has made this team into an regular season force. He's had some bad playoff series, some really bad ones but he's also had some excellent series (Anaheim for example). Everyone needs to stop freaking out. Who actually wasn't expecting this kind of start, honestly? Pull your head outta yer arse

#96 thirtyfive35

thirtyfive35

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

I have always been a Luongo supporter.

But I think that the Canucks organization and fans have held Luongo to such a high standard and put him up on pedestal. He has been told his whole career that he is the best goalie in the world. He has always been assured by everyone that he is amazing and many have called him "a God".

The problem with that is that he has developed into a cocky, arrogant guy that thinks he is more deserving of things like any start he wants, ridiculous contracts, and even expects other goalies to "pump his tires".

I was always a fan until last year's playoff run when he was mediocre at best for the majority of the run, yet still had the balls to take stabs at Tim Thomas' game and style of goaltending, and then follow up his comments with a 5-2 and 4-0 game. The team did not score nearly enough goals to make a difference, but those games were lost in the first half of the game when Luongo crap the bed.

To many times have we had to deal with his weaknesses costing the team.

The first couple years that he played in a Canuck uniform, he was no doubt, one of the best in the league. But for some reason, he has developed into a lazy goalie that gives up on a play, and has developed a habit of falling to his chest, leaving 90% of the net wide open. Something is definitely wrong with him and his game, and I think the only fix for it is a move from the team and city. He is the kind of goalie that thrives better in small market cities, like Florida.

#97 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

How would you know?

. A collapse happens 98% of the time with goalies who are just making the jump to a starter in the nhl. Cory has never even seen a full playoff series come on.

Edited by naslund.is.king, 19 October 2011 - 09:45 PM.

#98 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

more like 4-6 years form now

No Cory is a great goalie thats why vancouver will not trade him in the division to edmonton (they already made a good offer for him) and if they can control it they wouldnt even trade him within the western confrence they do not wanna face him in his prime on a regular basis . Imo when cory gets the #1 job here or somewhere else it will be 2- 4 seasons and he will be a top 4 goalie in the NHL

#99 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

I'm gunna hunt down the next poster who gives Loungo a pass for having poor Octobers and minus every friggin' post they make.Posted Image
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#100 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:50 PM

Cory will be dealt at the deadline we have a new great goalie in town Lack , who like cory is known as the AHL's best goaltender diffrence between Lack and Cory right now is trade value, If we can get a Parise or so Cory is gone without even thinking.

#101 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

At least Schneider and Lack are less likely to pull a choke job against Chicago, and Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

schneider let in 3 goals on 20 shots in game 6 against chicago, Luongo came in and allowed 1 goal on 13 losing in overtime.

Luongo then stopped 31 of 32 in game 7, u mad?

Edited by Tm085, 19 October 2011 - 10:53 PM.

#102 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:00 PM

I'm gunna hunt down the next poster who gives Loungo a pass for having poor Octobers and minus every friggin' post they make.Posted Image

yea well are pp right now is **** and also we give up the penatly minutes at the worst times or for half a period. Luongo needs some god damn momentum.He also kinda seems to suck when he faces under 20 shots which makes no sence?

#103 BobHo

BobHo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

Guys-Luongo is a great goalie. Why hasn't he been doing so well lately? Is it because of a mental breakdown? If so, we as Canucks fans should SUPPORT him, not insult him. Don't you want Lou to get better? We as the Canucks fans can greatly impact our team. Canucks fans should stick with their team from beginning to end. And right now, Luongo needs a good confidence boost.

#104 Renelsisc

Renelsisc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

I agree, that fans are partly to be blamed for this. But he's a goalie, he KNOWS that he's always going to be in the spotlight. If he didn't like it, maybe he should've chosen a different position.

He cracked under the pressure, and now became a headcase. It's about mental toughness. Successful teams, successful people, will need this in life. It's not just one person. Our whole TEAM lacks mental toughness. But the goalie should be the strongest in this aspect of the game because he's the last line of defense. He's the general. Your general falls, your unit crumbles with it.

It's just sad that we are even comparing him with the likes of said list....this shouldn't even have come up in discussions, and yet, here we are.

#105 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

Guys-Luongo is a great goalie. Why hasn't he been doing so well lately? Is it because of a mental breakdown? If so, we as Canucks fans should SUPPORT him, not insult him. Don't you want Lou to get better? We as the Canucks fans can greatly impact our team. Canucks fans should stick with their team from beginning to end. And right now, Luongo needs a good confidence boost.

agreed its not like the team infront of him is giving wins either.Av should be losing sleep by now.

#106 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

I agree, that fans are partly to be blamed for this. But he's a goalie, he KNOWS that he's always going to be in the spotlight. If he didn't like it, maybe he should've chosen a different position.

He cracked under the pressure, and now became a headcase. It's about mental toughness. Successful teams, successful people, will need this in life. It's not just one person. Our whole TEAM lacks mental toughness. But the goalie should be the strongest in this aspect of the game because he's the last line of defense. He's the general. Your general falls, your unit crumbles with it.

It's just sad that we are even comparing him with the likes of said list....this shouldn't even have come up in discussions, and yet, here we are.

Its sad that he is the most scrutinized goalie in the nhl that is whats sad...

#107 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

yea well are pp right now is **** and also we give up the penatly minutes at the worst times or for half a period. Luongo needs some god damn momentum.He also kinda seems to suck when he faces under 20 shots which makes no sence?

I don't blame Luongo for losses (or anyone else for that matter), just poor play.

#108 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:18 PM

hey luongo haters remember these guys
Dan Cloutier
Félix Potvin
Kevin Weekes
Sean Burke
Alex Auld
Bob Essensa
Johan Hedberg
Corey Hirsch
Arturs Irbe
Mika Noronen
Maxime Ouellet
Garth Snow
Kay Whitmore

bunch on ungrateful fans are dumping on luongo
hes is the elite goaltender that we were crying about for so many years
nonis made the biggest trade in canucks history
LUONGO IS A GOD ...... VANCOUVER went from a GOALIE GRAVE YARD to a GOALIE HEAVEN

and those fans at the game, only time they made any kind of noise at all was to hate on luuuu
HOW BOUT CHEERING DURING THE GAME WHEN UR DOWN AND GETTING BEHIND UR TEAM, instead of eating sushi in ur company seats

and to all the people saying trade luuuu .....ok fine lets say it happens
schnieder and lack combo means the canucks will still lack a cup at the end of the year

Irbe doesn't belong on this list. He was an elite goalie that we wrongly let go.

#109 Vigneault's Stache

Vigneault's Stache

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:26 PM

and each and every one of those goalies got treated better then luongo??? does that make sence :picard: :sadno:

its pathetic

i still get mad when luo has a bad game , but i dont call for his head

its a game , and as much as fans can bitch about how much he's paid , cmon , hes an elite goalie and half of these guys act like the cash is coming directly out of there pocket
Posted Image

#110 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

hey...cloutier and essensa were pretty good.

cloutier was loved by all until lidstrom blasted one from center ice. people forget cloutier had 3 30 win season and held some shutout record before luongo...playing on a not so strong defensive canuck team.

cloutier only got the reputation of a bad goalie after that one goal...luongo gets his bad rep after blowing it against chicago twice (almost 3) and boston.
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#111 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:30 PM

its a game , and as much as fans can bitch about how much he's paid , cmon , hes an elite goalie and half of these guys act like the cash is coming directly out of there pocket

so we shouldn't expect better play from a 4 million dollar defence man than we do a 2 million dollar one?

#112 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

its pathetic

i still get mad when luo has a bad game , but i dont call for his head

99.9%chance we will be with luongo for a few more years,Why because Cory is not ready maybe2- 3 years but we need an elite d-man or top 6 forward now .So what good is bashing luongo? none what so ever how can you be mentally tough when you are the most scrutinized goalie in the Nhl , Pathetic is a Great word.

#113 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:04 PM

Kirk McLean wasn't THAT good. Good playoff goaltender who was pretty clutch and had one amazing run but it's not like he was a superstar goalie. Luongo is a much better goaltender. And if you want to talk about what McLean did for this team versus what Luongo did, what game did Kirk lose in again? And I'm a huge McLean fan ps.

Luongo has brought more to this team than any goaltender in the past ever has. Guys like Richard Brodeur and Kirk McLean gave this team a lot of great memories...but Luongo has made this team into an regular season force. He's had some bad playoff series, some really bad ones but he's also had some excellent series (Anaheim for example). Everyone needs to stop freaking out. Who actually wasn't expecting this kind of start, honestly? Pull your head outta yer arse

In their respective playoff runs, Richard Brodeur and Kirk McLean would have been the undisputed player to receive the Conn Smythe if they won in the SCF. Luongo? Not so much. Too inconsistent, and when he was bad, he was really bad. He never really kept a game alive for us when we were being dominated badly.\

Some people will argue, "Oh look at all those awesome saves in Game 7 OT against Chicago!". But freaking, if he didn't choke with 2 mins left on the power play, it wouldn't have been necessary. In the end, the team bailed him out. He didn't bail out the team. "But look, shutouts against Boston! The team only won by 1 goal, so that means Thomas was goaltending equally as well in those games. The difference? Thomas put up the same great performance in all 7 games. Luongo only showed up for 3 games. That is the difference between elite and average.

But another issue is that Luongo's ego is so huge. He won't sit even when he knows he should. Then he continues to let in more bad goals.

#114 TrevL16

TrevL16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:57 AM

<br />Guys-Luongo is a great goalie. Why hasn't he been doing so well lately? Is it because of a mental breakdown? If so, we as Canucks fans should SUPPORT him, not insult him. Don't you want Lou to get better? We as the Canucks fans can greatly impact our team. Canucks fans should stick with their team from beginning to end. And right now, Luongo needs a good confidence boost.<br />

I couldn't agree with you more. Jeering and criticizing our own goalie will get us nowhere. As fans, we should want him to perform his best every game and this can't happen unless we support him and the team. The true fans should support the team no matter what - even if they are not playing so well.

#115 dragon

dragon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:33 AM

Wtf is up with these threads?
Why can't the mods combine them?

Ok, maybe there wouldn't be so many hate threads on luongo if luongo lovers didn't continue posting their love notes online.....and vice versa

#116 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:04 AM

The true fans should support the team no matter what - even if they are not playing so well.

Stop with this nonsense.

True fans cannot be limited to just the blind cheerleaders.

I've been watching hockey longer than most of you have been alive and any player/team that plays poorly (esp on a consistent bases) will hear it from their fans. It doesn't matter whether it's the Canucks or the Yankees. Always been that way and always will be.

You should've heard what Dennis Kearns was called back in the day.Posted Image

#117 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,165 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:47 AM

hey luongo haters remember these guys
bunch on ungrateful fans are dumping on luongo

The simple solution is for Lou to play better than he has. So far he's doing his "best of Cloutier" immitation.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#118 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,165 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:53 AM

I couldn't agree with you more. Jeering and criticizing our own goalie will get us nowhere. As fans, we should want him to perform his best every game and this can't happen unless we support him and the team. The true fans should support the team no matter what - even if they are not playing so well.

As fans we do want him to perform his best. But I can tell you, when I don't do a good job I hear about it. So when Lou performs like an AHL call-up he deserves criticism.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#119 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:04 AM

I for one, support Luongo, & I hope I am not the only one!! I critique his play watching him play, the whole flopping thing & staying down after flopping needs to be changed, & maybe there should be specific practices where he only focuses on breakaway/shootouts. the list could go on but I still support this guy. No way do I want to trade him, not after he had a career year here last year, not after he won the Jennings trophy, or took us to game 7 of the freaking Stanley Cup Finals. It's only October & we supposedly know that, (or people just plain forget), he has rough Octobers. It's only October!! I believe the Canucks when they say they listen only to each other & the organization, & not the armchair critics. I have faith in our team. Our team.

#120 B_a_M

B_a_M

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

schneider let in 3 goals on 20 shots in game 6 against chicago, Luongo came in and allowed 1 goal on 13 losing in overtime.

Luongo then stopped 31 of 32 in game 7, u mad?

Av put Schneider into a bad situation. You don't give a rookie his first playoff game in game 6 situation on the road no less which Chicago is a tough play to play, considering what happen during game 4 and 5. AV throw Luongo under the bus big time. Schneider was understandable nervous that was poor coaching.

To the person who said that we miss Ehrhoff in a huge way I have to disagree again. I blame AV for that, the reason is because AV still doesn't have faith in Ballard which he should be on the power play instead of Samuelsson who has looked awful. Also look at the pairings that AV use in the last game put together Bieska with Ballard too offensive guys yea that should work good. Edler with Hamhuis again two players that play a similar style. Then Salo with Alberts again this pairing doesn't make much sense. I don't really understand why AV would mess around with the D pairing to much since they had a lot of success in the playoffs and last season with Bieska with Hamhuis, Edler with Salo and Tanev with Ballard.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.