* * * * - 5 votes

remember THE GOALIE GRAVEYARD days

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#151 Guest_The Brown Burrows_*

Guest_The Brown Burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

Some of those goalies were decent but not on our team.

You can back-up Luongo all you want but not everybody is going to be a fan of his so STFU.

#152 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

LUONGO!!

#153 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

Cloutier played fine in the regular season, his numbers were good. So the Canucks should have dominated in the regular season back then like they did last season, right? Don't kid yourself, they were a one-line team.

The truth is that Naslund and Bertuzzi couldn't hold a candle to the great players of the early 2000's and even with Roy, Brodeur and Hasek on the Canucks, they still wouldn't have been Cup Favourites, they weren't deep enough. Compare the Canucks of that era to Dallas, Detroit or Colorado and it becomes apparent quickly.

Couldn't hold a candle to the great players of the early 2000's?

Those very same great players of the early 2000's voted Markus Naslund the league MVP.

If I recall, they were also both first team all-stars. MAYBE one of them only got 2nd team - I can't recall for sure. But a post-season All Star berth probably qualifies as 'holding a candle'...
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#154 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Cloutier played fine in the regular season, his numbers were good. So the Canucks should have dominated in the regular season back then like they did last season, right? Don't kid yourself, they were a one-line team.

The truth is that Naslund and Bertuzzi couldn't hold a candle to the great players of the early 2000's and even with Roy, Brodeur and Hasek on the Canucks, they still wouldn't have been Cup Favourites, they weren't deep enough. Compare the Canucks of that era to Dallas, Detroit or Colorado and it becomes apparent quickly.

Anyway, I will give you that Cloutier played fine during the regular season.

However, all experts seemed to unanimously agree that he was not an elite goaltender by his constant absence from all-star lineups, Vezina voting and so on.

In the regular season, he was fine. But I wouldn't go much further than that. Philadelphia's goalie graveyard includes men who were better than Cloutier in both the regular season and in the playoffs.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

#155 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

to whoever compared naslund and bertuzzi to the sedins.....sorry but they weren't even close to the sedins

Edited by Tm085, 22 October 2011 - 03:57 PM.

#156 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

to whoever compared naslund and bertuzzi to the sedins.....sorry but they weren't even close to the sedins

That was me and yes, at their peak, they really were close.

2nd and 3rd in league scoring I believe, with a Pearson / Lindsay Trophy.

Are the Sedins on such a pedestal now that we would consider a 2nd and 3rd place finish in the scoring race a massively disappointing season for them?

Edited by Kevin Biestra, 22 October 2011 - 04:05 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#157 joecanada777

joecanada777

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

The difference is the sedins do it year after year and a lindsay doesnt compare to an art ross

Dont get me wrong wce was fun but their +/- was unacceptable and could never lead to a cup

Edited by joecanada777, 22 October 2011 - 04:21 PM.

QUOTE(queen_canuck_fan)
cuz when I saw you outside in the bushes, by length I would have guessed 11...

QUOTE(Whiskey7 @ Apr 19 2007, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is done in almost every sport, in every league, for a great player who has an "oooooo" sound in his name. I'm always a bit surprised when people don't pick up on it, and announcers on TV have to clarify for those at home.

#158 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

The difference is the sedins do it year after year and a lindsay doesnt compare to an art ross

Dont get me wrong wce was fun but their +/- was unacceptable and could never lead to a cup

The Sedins have now done it twice, not 'year after year.'

And a Pearson / Lindsay doesn't compare to an Art Ross? Really? I would be interested in how the NHL players feel about that. On top of which, Forsberg beat Naslund for the Art Ross by 1 or 2 points that year, maybe 3.

Anyway, I guess we agree to disagree.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#159 Burrows/Kesler

Burrows/Kesler

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

We're lucky to even have luongo.

And using the Cory Schnieder argument doesn't make sense because he hasn't had the pressure of being the #1 in Vancouver.
Nobody can claim he is the answer because he hasn't had that shot yet. Sure he plays great as a backup but we still need to see if he can handle the pressure of
being THE guy.

here's a idea: they're both awesome and we should be thankful to have them.

Finally someone that knows hockey both are great goalies so cheer them both on

#160 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

The Sedins have now done it twice, not 'year after year.'

And a Pearson / Lindsay doesn't compare to an Art Ross? Really? I would be interested in how the NHL players feel about that. On top of which, Forsberg beat Naslund for the Art Ross by 1 or 2 points that year, maybe 3.

Anyway, I guess we agree to disagree.

NHL players would tell you that they respect players who perform in big games. The Sedins already have more hardware than Naslund and have helped the Canucks win more regular season AND playoff hardware than Naslund, and their careers aren't even close to over yet.

Sedins EACH have an Art Ross and there's no SCF, no President's Trophy or any of the glory that comes along with it without them.

Considering the Canucks already raised Naslund's number to the rafters, they will have to find a much more glorious retirement for the twins when the time comes, perhaps they can name the arena after them.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#161 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:48 PM

Couldn't hold a candle to the great players of the early 2000's?

Those very same great players of the early 2000's voted Markus Naslund the league MVP.

If I recall, they were also both first team all-stars. MAYBE one of them only got 2nd team - I can't recall for sure. But a post-season All Star berth probably qualifies as 'holding a candle'...

Would you put Naslund or Bertuzzi with the likes of Sakic? or Yzerman? How about Iginla? I don't even think Naslund measures up to the likes of Alfredsson, Brad Richards, Marian Hossa or Lecavalier, and they weren't even the greatest players of the 2000s. All of these guys have contributed to championships or at least deep playoff runs, Naslund was the best Canuck at the time, but he wasn't a real NHL hero. You need to do something in the playoffs to accomplish that. Sorry.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#162 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

At least Schneider and Lack are less likely to pull a choke job against Chicago, and Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

wow, i didn't know the hawks were in the eastern conference

Posted Image

#163 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

Would you put Naslund or Bertuzzi with the likes of Sakic? or Yzerman? How about Iginla? I don't even think Naslund measures up to the likes of Alfredsson, Brad Richards, Marian Hossa or Lecavalier, and they weren't even the greatest players of the 2000s. All of these guys have contributed to championships or at least deep playoff runs, Naslund was the best Canuck at the time, but he wasn't a real NHL hero. You need to do something in the playoffs to accomplish that. Sorry.

During that three year stretch, yes I absolutely would. During Naslund's Pearson year, he was better than all the players you named (in that year).

When it's all said and done, has his career measured up to Sakic, Yzerman or Iginla? Of course not, but I never suggested anything of the sort.

However, he may well be on par with Hossa and Lecavalier.

Edited by Kevin Biestra, 22 October 2011 - 10:55 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#164 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

Also, your logic at the end basically dismisses the careers of Marcel Dionne, Dale Hawerchuk, Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#165 toyotafan

toyotafan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:22 PM

It is easy to say it wasnn't the goalies fault if the team loses 1-0 but what fans don't understand is how momentum works. If only that save was made maybe the team gets pumped up and pops a couple. Every action has an equal reaction. If you play hockey you know this.

#166 toyotafan

toyotafan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:47 PM

Didn' "red Light Racicoe" have a brief stint with the Canucks? too Bad that nickname is taken.

#167 Otherside

Otherside

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:34 PM

well said.
naslund was a choke artist just like luongo.
the team has been much better without naslund and could be so much better without luongo.

#168 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:49 PM

well said.
the team has been much better without naslund and could be so much better without luongo.

Naslund is up there with linden for a reason
:sick: Naslund had half the team we have now and he still managed to get over 100 points
Your a idiot, Naslund did nothing but amazing things for this team. You obviously have only been a fan for short time :picard: You should find a new team to make dumb comment's for.
end of discussion.

#169 EvoX

EvoX

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

well said.

You are setting yourself up for this one... not that I didn't warn you
Posted Image

#170 Vigneault's Stache

Vigneault's Stache

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

well said.

wait what
Posted Image

#171 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

Freedum of speak, or here type.If you don't like what others say you should just not reply.Luo deserves whatever he gets as he makes more then anyone on the team,yet has player poor, so yes if people want to call him out and say bad things it is there right and I agree with some of it.
Posted Image

#172 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

Naslund is up there with linden for a reason
:sick: Naslund had half the team we have now and he still managed to get over 100 points
Your a idiot, Naslund did nothing but amazing things for this team. You obviously have only been a fan for short time :picard: You should find a new team to make dumb comment's for.
end of discussion.

I have to say at the time Naslund had the best line in hockey, a decent goalie, good D, so you are wrong, he just couldnt play in the playoff's and was not a good leader.If it was up to me his number wouldnt be in the rafters.I have watched the canucks for over 30 years and naslund yes was good, but wasnt great by any means at all.How many playoff's did we win with him as captain???Regular season he was good, anything more he FAILED big time!!!
Posted Image

#173 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

Freedum of speak, or here type.If you don't like what others say you should just not reply.Luo deserves whatever he gets as he makes more then anyone on the team,yet has player poor, so yes if people want to call him out and say bad things it is there right and I agree with some of it.

Freedom of Speak?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#174 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

hey luongo haters remember these guys
Dan Cloutier
Félix Potvin
Kevin Weekes
Sean Burke
Alex Auld
Bob Essensa
Johan Hedberg
Corey Hirsch
Arturs Irbe
Mika Noronen
Maxime Ouellet
Garth Snow
Kay Whitmore

bunch on ungrateful fans are dumping on luongo
hes is the elite goaltender that we were crying about for so many years
nonis made the biggest trade in canucks history
LUONGO IS A GOD ...... VANCOUVER went from a GOALIE GRAVE YARD to a GOALIE HEAVEN

and those fans at the game, only time they made any kind of noise at all was to hate on luuuu
HOW BOUT CHEERING DURING THE GAME WHEN UR DOWN AND GETTING BEHIND UR TEAM, instead of eating sushi in ur company seats

and to all the people saying trade luuuu .....ok fine lets say it happens
schnieder and lack combo means the canucks will still lack a cup at the end of the year

Excellent post. It is unfortunate that posts like the above are so few and far between. Beautifully said and sadly..accurate as all hell.
QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

#175 The Coach

The Coach

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Let's cut the crap here with all this smooshy, weak and whiny West Coast attitude of "Ohhh poooor such and such"

Luongo's regular season stats vs. Cloutiers are not nearly worth what he is being paid.

Luongo has proven he is not able to close the deal in the playoffs, just like Cloutier.

Luongo deserves the flak he is taking.

End Thread.

correct, again.

#176 puckluv

puckluv

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

hey luongo haters remember these guys
Dan Cloutier
Félix Potvin
Kevin Weekes
Sean Burke
Alex Auld
Bob Essensa
Johan Hedberg
Corey Hirsch
Arturs Irbe
Mika Noronen
Maxime Ouellet
Garth Snow
Kay Whitmore

bunch on ungrateful fans are dumping on luongo
hes is the elite goaltender that we were crying about for so many years
nonis made the biggest trade in canucks history
LUONGO IS A GOD ...... VANCOUVER went from a GOALIE GRAVE YARD to a GOALIE HEAVEN

and those fans at the game, only time they made any kind of noise at all was to hate on luuuu
HOW BOUT CHEERING DURING THE GAME WHEN UR DOWN AND GETTING BEHIND UR TEAM, instead of eating sushi in ur company seats

and to all the people saying trade luuuu .....ok fine lets say it happens
schnieder and lack combo means the canucks will still lack a cup at the end of the year

we remind ourselves of this list every day... but johnny come lately fans just don't get it :(

Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation. Michael Jordon

#177 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

we remind ourselves of this list every day... but johnny come lately fans just don't get it :(

The dummies will have to learn the hard way.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#178 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

GUYS!!! STOP HATEING ON NÄSLUND!!! He was one of te best, if not THE best player the first five years of the 21th century. Look at his goal production: 36, 27, 41, 40, 48, 35 and 32.

Don't come here and say he didn't do it season after season.

#179 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

We hung on to Cloutier far too long to avoid that Graveyard Stigma.

Seriously, on that list, it just shows that we were bad at picking up goalies, not fans driving anyone out. That's a pretty horrible list of horribleness.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

“That guys an idiot. It’s his own fault if he can’t tell the difference between an all star center and a plug defenceman”

"It's not the location. We just can't beat the Canucks. Thank god they're in the West."

#180 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

We hung on to Cloutier far too long to avoid that Graveyard Stigma.

5 years? He had a winning record for 4 of those years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.