The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

remember THE GOALIE GRAVEYARD days

shawn antoski

Many of the Luongo haters seem to think they're such great hockey minds. However, I don't see them strapping up skates to play goal or become GM of an NHL club. If anyone is going to handle Roberto Luongo then it's Mike Gillis and he's far from the one panicking like a little B! Just saying...

In their respective playoff runs, Richard Brodeur and Kirk McLean would have been the undisputed player to receive the Conn Smythe if they won in the SCF. Luongo? Not so much. Too inconsistent, and when he was bad, he was really bad. He never really kept a game alive for us when we were being dominated badly.\

Some people will argue, "Oh look at all those awesome saves in Game 7 OT against Chicago!". But freaking, if he didn't choke with 2 mins left on the power play, it wouldn't have been necessary. In the end, the team bailed him out. He didn't bail out the team. "But look, shutouts against Boston! The team only won by 1 goal, so that means Thomas was goaltending equally as well in those games. The difference? Thomas put up the same great performance in all 7 games. Luongo only showed up for 3 games. That is the difference between elite and average.

But another issue is that Luongo's ego is so huge. He won't sit even when he knows he should. Then he continues to let in more bad goals.

on your list you name "backup bob". he had a great run here and only left because Dan needed room for development. bob left as a winner and only was let go for age. Dan on the other hand, was protected from the critics by the same group that protects lou. if you have a comment on how lou can improve, you are flamed by an angry mob that will not stand for any discussion. so we bury our colective heads in the sand and hope it gets better.as for Dan he could have been a better goalie if he had controlled rebounds and learned how to play the puck. but we all cheered and hoped he would get there on his own. he did have a 10 game stint after being runover by st. louis,that got him player of the week for the nhl. then he was a hero, but forgot what got him there, and went back to kicking out rebounds the very next game. i wish this forum had a place for comment without the angry mob dictating what can and cant be talked about.

Many of the Luongo haters seem to think they're such great hockey minds. However, I don't see them strapping up skates to play goal or become GM of an NHL club. If anyone is going to handle Roberto Luongo then it's Mike Gillis and he's far from the one panicking like a little B! Just saying...

If I were to believe everything written by the myriad of Luongo critics, then a whole bunch of hockey experts have been getting it wrong for an awfully long time by voting Luongo as a Vezina finalist 3 times, twice selecting him to Canada's Olympic team and selecting him to team Canada for the World Cup.

The one question that I would pose to the critics, what would you do to that would make the Canucks a stronger team that is both feasible and plausable.

If I were to believe everything written by the myriad of Luongo critics, then a whole bunch of hockey experts have been getting it wrong for an awfully long time by voting Luongo as a Vezina finalist 3 times, twice selecting him to Canada's Olympic team and selecting him to team Canada for the World Cup.

The one question that I would pose to the critics, what would you do to that would make the Canucks a stronger team that is both feasible and plausable.

I really wouldn't include Noronen, Essensa, Whitmore or Hedberg in that list. Maybe Auld either. They were back-ups and really didn't get the same kind of attention or pressure that the number one goalie did.

Cloutier also had a great run as a Canuck. Sure it ended fairly badly, but he set several team records along the way.

I would say the goalie gaveyard era began after McLean left and ended with Cloutier's arrival.

*shudders* Anyone remember Martin Brochu? his stat line from 2001-02:

6 GP 0-3-0 4.17 GAA .856 sv.

We're very lucky to have Luongo. The whole team played like crap in the Final, its impossible to blame one person. Luongo did get 2 shutouts in 1-0 games. If the Canucks had been able to muster some offense in just one of the 4 games they lost that might have helped... hell, if they'd just been able to get the first goal in one of them, it changes the whole complexion of the game. I don't think anyone can say Luongo played great in the Final, but it would have been a 4-0 sweep if he wasn't in net.

Archived