The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Why would Anyone Want to play for Vancouver?**

carlweezer

Hardcore Canuck fan here to ask some questions, ..please dont troll I would like to have an honest conversation. Can you please answer me this question, why would any High Valued Free Agent, possibly the missing piece to our Stanley Cup puzzle, ever want to sign/waive NTC to play for the Canucks.

The "fans" treat the team like crap, there is always a scapregoat! ALWAYS!, last year it was Bieksa this year its Luongo. We jeer the guy who took us to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, a guy who won the Jennings Award last year and had a CAREER YEAR? a guys who got 2 SHUTOUTS in the Finals. Exhausted from the Months of playoff battle wearing the Canuck uniform proudly only to have a short summer, 2 pre season games and now we crucify him for not playing up to our standards. Is he playing like crap, yep, does he deserve this disrespect? hell no.

Back to the point tho, Who was the last big big free agent player the Canucks grabbed, and im talking about non previous Canuck players so the Sedins, Bieksa etc dont count. Highly Ranked UFA's...hmmm Hamhuis? Samuelsson? Malhotra?...Messier??? No superstar will ever sign here, why should they???

Do you not think that the whole league doesn't see how Vancouver fans treat the team like garbage? and put them in such scrutiny and judgement. They're "professionals" you say, well I say they are humans...NOBODY wants to play in this environment, its an environement where players are set up to fail instead of succeed. Vancouver has been filled with nothing but negativity.

Let's say we make everyones wish come true and we trade Luongo! GREAT! its Schneider Time! Cory Scneider has 1 year left of RFA status then he can choose not to re-sign a contract and walk away from the Canucks!! Do you really think Schneider will want to sign here after seeing what just happened to Luongo??

"for a guy who has done more for this franchise than any other goalie probably in the history of the team you'd think he'd get a bit more slack or some leeway before the fans get on him" -Cory Schneider

Shea Webber to Vancouver next year!!??? why? so he can be humiliated in front of his family and friends day in and day out if he so happens to hit a rut like most players do? And if you think this is a Luongo thing its not, like I said we treat our stars like garbage, Bieksa last year, Sedins in previous years, Naslund in his twilight years, even the great Captain Kirk Maclean in the mid 90's was treated like crap. Even Bure asked for a trade (management issues supposodely)...

So back to the question, why would any player want to sign/waive NTC to come to Vancouver?? to win a cup?? theres 8 other teams they can do that for and not have to go thru this.

If you're a pending Unrestricted Free Agent lets say the likes of; Doan, Semin, Webber, Parise etc etc...what do you see? A fan base known for rioting, a fanbase that constantly treat their own players like crap and puts an immense amount of pressure, a building soooo quiet, a travel schedule incomparable to any and a scrutiny from fanbase and media that can abolish a career.

So people can talk all they want about nice dressing rooms and sleep doctors and a province full of "fans" but that is not how the rest of league perceives the Canucks.

So keep going Vancouver fans, the jeering and the negativity will surely end our 40+ years of misery!

Because the management is logical and understanding, players are treated incredibly well, the fans are passionate (the real ones, not the bandwagoners and rioters), we have a very good team full of skilled players and great dressing room guys... The list goes on bud.

Because the management is logical and understanding, players are treated incredibly well, the fans are passionate (the real ones, not the bandwagoners and rioters), we have a very good team full of skilled players and great dressing room guys... The list goes on bud.

then why no big Signings since Messier?

fans are passionate?? I'm a season ticket holder for the last 3 years and Rogers Arena is one of the MOST quietest buildings and arenas ive ever been to! even during the playoffs! its ridiculous how loud and positive an arena like Nashville or Chicago is compared to Rogers arena. So wheres this passion you speak of? We throw our players under the bus the moment they arent reaching our expectations, thats not passsion.

Supporting the team only when they are doing well and winning is not passion.

Is it me, or is the era of The Big Free Agent Signing coming to an end (or at least slowing down)? Feels like even a few years ago there were a lot more payoffs from blockbuster trades or big money signings, but the last couple years they seem to go bust more than boom. Seems like as the game gets more clinical the value of a homegrown talent that came up through your system will win you championships.

edited to add- also chemistry!

Wow, you both got minus already for posting an interesting debate. So, I gave you +1 back.I agree with the above posters ahead of the quality of treatment from the upper management. (ie. dressing rooms, sleep doctor, etc) all contributing factors for players to signing here.

The downside is, we play in a competitive hockey market, we accept nothing less than a cup. And that has put a lot of pressure on players to perform. I could be a deteriorating factor for high profile players choosing not to sign in Vancouver, unless they can cope with the constant media coverage.

Why dont our pending ufa's count? They all had options to sign somewhere else. They all knew what they were getting into so if they dont like playing infront of soldout arena's and playing infront of fans who actually care for the team then leave.

Ya we may be a little rough around the edges but can you blame us? We have gone through 40 years of frustration yet we still shell out top dollar to watch the games.

Almost every canuck took a paycut because they want to play here.

Why dont our pending ufa's count? They all had options to sign somewhere else. They all knew what they were getting into so if they dont like playing infront of soldout arena's and playing infront of fans who actually care for the team then leave.

Ya we may be a little rough around the edges but can you blame us? We have gone through 40 years of frustration yet we still shell out top dollar to watch the games.

Almost every canuck took a paycut because they want to play here.

Maybe no "big name" players have signed here recently because we don't need them. Our team is already good enough, minus a proven 2nd line winger to play with Kes, although Hodgson is proving that he is our 2nd line guy. We have no need for the "Messiers" on our team because all of our high profile positions are filled. Don't fix something that isn't broken. When we are in need of a big name FA in the future, we'll get him.

fans are passionate?? I'm a season ticket holder for the last 3 years and Rogers Arena is one of the MOST quietest buildings and arenas ive ever been to! even during the playoffs! its ridiculous how loud and positive an arena like Nashville or Chicago is compared to Rogers arena. So wheres this passion you speak of? We throw our players under the bus the moment they arent reaching our expectations, thats not passsion.

Wow, you both got minus already for posting an interesting debate. So, I gave you +1 back.I agree with the above posters ahead of the quality of treatment from the upper management. (ie. dressing rooms, sleep doctor, etc) all contributing factors for players to signing here.

The downside is, we play in a competitive hockey market, we accept nothing less than a cup. And that has put a lot of pressure on players to perform. I could be a deteriorating factor for high profile players choosing not to sign in Vancouver, unless they can cope with the constant media coverage.

Maybe no "big name" players have signed here recently because we don't need them. Our team is already good enough, minus a proven 2nd line winger to play with Kes, although Hodgson is proving that he is our 2nd line guy. We have no need for the "Messiers" on our team because all of our high profile positions are filled. Don't fix something that isn't broken. When we are in need of a big name FA in the future, we'll get him.

Can't get big name mega stars with the salary cap era without overpaying them and that's something management won't do. There was the Sundin debacle however. If we do get some named stars, it's mostly because they have family here, love the city and want to be on a winning team. They're professionals. For the most part, ignore the fans and do their job. If Schneider does end up leaving it'll be so he can land a #1 gig elsewhere and doesn't want to be a back up

Shea Webber to Vancouver next year!!??? why? so he can be humiliated in front of his family and friends day in and day out

Your an idiot... We haven't had the oppertunity to land a "BIG" free agent because we have no cap space due to the fact we were able to sign "BIG" name players within our organization... y dont u name a time we had a legitimate opportunity to sign a UFA... Kovy? Brad Richards? can we afford a 7 million dollars big name free agent? u idiot... and you say bieksa got heat one year, and sedins another year... ya with a loss thats gonna happen anywhere... u dont think ovechkin, joe thornton, kovalchuk and all these guys get scrutinized when they have bad years or playoffs... yeah luongo is gettin the blame but thats because for 3 straight years we have lost our playoff series because hes given up 4, 5, 6, 7 goals... do any other top goalies consistantly give up that many goals?

Most of the players you would consider "big signings" re-sign with their original/long time clubs. It's a combination of that club offering what they have to and that player liking where they are and wanting to stay. We also spend to the cap and often wouldn't be able to afford such contracts. Gaborik? Richards? Yeah, they would have been huge signings, but are they worth blowing up our team for? Not a chance. Don't forget that the Sedins, Luongo, and Kesler are all stars in the league and have re-signed. We don't need to make huge FA splashes, because what this team needs to add is depth and role players. Also, Mats Sundin was a pretty big signing, even though he only played half the season.

The only game I've ever been able to attend was a pre-season game this season, and I cheered my heart out. The fan base is province wide; not all the most passionate fans can come to the games. They're the ones that don't have the $100 for nosebleed tickets, or live too far from the city to just go and see a game. A lot of the fans you're talking about are the younger, more impatient ones that are internet savvy (due to their youth...) and panic at the smallest imperfections (due to lack of patience and maturity). That's my theory anyway. No team is perfect, and no fanbase is perfect, especially when the team is something they really take a connection to.

If the Phoenix Coyotes lost the Stanley Cup Final, would "fans" be rioting? No. If they won the SCF, would tens of thousands of people celebrate their teams victory? I'd like to think so, but no. Having a large fan base magnifies the negativity, as well as the positivity during the team's success. The Canucks have a very large number of fans, so what do you expect? It's the exact same with any Canadian team, as well as a few American teams (Bruins, Rangers, Red Wings...)

Archived