The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Why would Anyone Want to play for Vancouver?**

carlweezer

Canucks fans are known as one of the best fans in the league, but they are also one of the worst. Canuck fans were once loyal and avid fans who despite the mediocre teams of the early days, fans still supported their teams. But once they achieved success, the fans became so called experts and drove out some of the very best players we've ever had out of town. Pavel Bure comes to mind. There are reasons why players wouldn't sign with the Canucks and in the most part, very little had to do with having to be under the fan's microscope. A lot had to do with economics, lifestyle and cost of living. Like it or not, it's very expensive to live in Vancouver. Real estate prices are one of the highest in North America. Not to mention the once wide difference in currency exchange between the CAD and USD. It didn't help matters much when Pat Quinn tried to use CAD in contract talks. Brian Burke was another who is difficult to deal with so not many agents came calling first. Also, at one time, Canucks were perennial losers so not many players wanted to come this way because they wanted to play with winners. If players had a chance to live in constant sunshine or constant rain, which would you choose? Family lifestyle played an important role too. Craig Janney didn't report to the Canucks because his wife didn't want to live here.

So to Carl, while you're argument seems compelling, it's further from the truth these days. Bure felt the sting from fans calling for his head, but players like Dan Cloutier never let the boo-birds affect him. Paul Kariya choose not to play here simply because his family all agreed the extra scrutiny would all be detrimental to his career. But I tell you, most players would agree Vancouver is one city they would love the opportunity to play for in the right conditions. Sundin was the biggest name during that years free agency and he choose Vancouver. Hamhuis was also one of the premier free agents for that year and he already had his mind made up long before June 1st on where he wanted to be. Pavol Demitra was also one of the top 10 free agents that year and he too choose Vancouver. Gaborik had Vancouver pencilled in as one of the teams he was willing to play for but at the end of the day, bigger money was the final consolation. Many players are aware of the huge Vancouver fan base and this so called "lynch-mob" mentality, but players also welcome that challenge too. These past two years, the Sedin's have seen it all and were bigger targets of the boo-birds than Cloutier himself and they rose to the occasion.

But this has not just been a personal opinion you attempt to say (poorly at that) why any professional player would not want to play in Vancouver.

And since you have no idea how this organization is viewed by players, other organizations, or even agents for that matter, your argument is nothing more than personal (and unsubstantiated) bias.

I dunno, I am sure that the harshness of this market is a deterrant for some players. Everyone struggles from time to time, I don't care what your profession is. Somedays just arn't as good as other days. I, personally, wouldn't want all the negative attention that goes along with struggling in this market. But that's just me.......and probably a good reason as to why I never made the NHL.

I think it differs for every type of player:

- draft

generally, the player is simply excited to being drafted and having an opportunity to maybe play in the NHL. I don't think players don't want to come to Vancouver or any other city for that matter (except maybe Lindros and Erixon)

- low level players

they are excited having the opportunity to play for a contender. cuz that's what Vancouver is right now

- top free agents

now these players are hard to lure in. mostly, they either want lots of money or lots of other things. our GM doesn't want that. that's why he didn't target these kind of players (kovy, bryz, richards etc). the ones he did target btw...guess what...they signed here (sundin, . so yes, I think they want to sign here. amazing city, passionate fans, good food/education/benefits. the only negatives IMO is the travel schedule. and no, I don't think Rogers Arena is too silent.

- goalies

to be honest, I think if I were a goalie, I'd never sign here...if one responds to fan criticism there's always 50% people who complain that you should shut it and play through it. if one doesn't speak 50% think the player doesn't care. you know.

and btw...if you don't like Luongo then maybe you should hate his agent or our GM. cuz they gave him the job and the money. Lu only brought the stats that justified this contract in their eyes. ..but that's a different topic

I dunno, I am sure that the harshness of this market is a deterrant for some players. Everyone struggles from time to time, I don't care what your profession is. Somedays just arn't as good as other days. I, personally, wouldn't want all the negative attention that goes along with struggling in this market. But that's just me.......and probably a good reason as to why I never made the NHL.

.No you were very clear in stating "Why would anyone star player want to play for Vancouver". That is not a personal opinion, because you have no idea how or why these players would make this decision. We have some of the leagues top talent playing for the Canucks. How are they any different? And drafting someone is not a reason. Many players dont play for the teams that drafted them. You are just trying to make excuses to try to suit your argument, which as I mentioned, has no basis other than personal bias, which lacks any substance. Having a argument requires forethought, facts, and substance. Yours have nothing more than: "The Canucks are stupid cause I say so".

And you wonder why you are getting flamed?

You are definitly the dumbest person I have ever met

Modus Ponens says if I dont like A for not having Vanilla, I dont like Ice Cream stores that dont have vanilla. B doesnt have Vanilla. I hate B

Ask me about A

Ill say "I dont like A, it doesnt have vanilla"

Why would It matter if I dont like B or not, its not relevent to the conversation

I never said I like B, I never said I like B, all Is said is I dont like A

And you're DEFINITLY the dumbest person I have ever met, after the second part

Im listing things I dont like about teams because it seems that I have to defend my argument against vancouver because you say I have to because if I hate vancouver, I must hate all those other teams, but I listed reasons why I would play for the teams that have the same problems as the canucks

Would you please stop wasting my time, and just go die in a hole you ignorant troglodyte?

then why no big Signings since Messier?

fans are passionate?? I'm a season ticket holder for the last 3 years and Rogers Arena is one of the MOST quietest buildings and arenas ive ever been to! even during the playoffs! its ridiculous how loud and positive an arena like Nashville or Chicago is compared to Rogers arena. So wheres this passion you speak of? We throw our players under the bus the moment they arent reaching our expectations, thats not passsion.

Archived