The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Why would Anyone Want to play for Vancouver?**

carlweezer

I think thats what he was saying.

The OP? That's not what I took out of it. His argument is that the city's tough on players, so why would they bother?

And my answer is: these aren't little boys, they're men. Sure, they're human beings but, as NHL caliber/professional athletes, they'd better be mentally stronger than buckling to the pressure of "they don't like me" if they plan on sticking around. I'm convinced that most of them are and sports psychology is available to those who aren't.

Seriously, to think the fans here have any impact on where players sign is reaching. It's likely very low on the checklist when players are considering what team to sign with...if anything, Vancouver's viewed as a hot ticket item/market and that's likely fairly attractive to most.

The OP? That's not what I took out of it. His argument is that the city's tough on players, so why would they bother?

And my answer is: these aren't lit

tle boys, they're men. Sure, they're human beings but, as NHL caliber/

professional athletes, they'd better be mentally stronger than buckling to the pressure of "they don't like me" if they plan on sticking around. I'm convinced that most of them are and sports psychology is available to those who aren't.

Seriously, to think the fans here have any impact on where players sign is reaching. It's likely very low on the checklist when players are considering what team to sign with...if anything, Vancouver's viewed as a hot ticket item/market and that's likely fairly attractive to most.

And my answer is: these aren't little boys, they're men. Sure, they're human beings but, as NHL caliber/professional athletes, they'd better be mentally stronger than buckling to the pressure of "they don't like me" if they plan on sticking around. I'm convinced that most of them are and sports psychology is available to those who aren't.

No I meant just what you had quoted. I assumed it was from another post and you accidentally misinterpreted it. To which I actually did :).

I completely agree with you. The fans have this preconcieved notion that they actually have a clue about what is going on with a organization when in reality, we have no idea. The media builds the hype around us being the most hated team and the most hated fans. Hated by who? The other teams fans? Really? Thats crazy talk. To the players this is a business. Sure there are some places a player would prefer not to play, but I would say it has little, if anything to do with the fans and the scrutiny. This is especially true for the leagues stars. Yes some depth guys might not want top play here because of that (being that the price just isnt high enough. See Torres) but they are generally hired guns going to where the money is, so that also has little to do with playing in this city.

The only reason that players might not want to play here is travel and cost of living. But that poll shows that very few players these days even care that much about that nowadays. They want a well run organization that takes care of its own, and that gives them the best chance to win, period.

In your words:

"why would any High Valued Free Agent, possibly the missing piece to our Stanley Cup puzzle, ever want to sign/waive NTC to play for the Canucks."

You then go onto give the reasons why you think they would not want to play here. Pretty straight forward.

lets see. beautiful city. great arena. great fans that love this team most of the time. a chance to win year after year. a strong front office dedicated to winning and bringing in good character guys.

of course this is all just my opinion but it really sounds like a good deal to me.

Ah yes but remember when it was the other way around. Toronto loves the Leafs, yes, but that used to be the market where players were more under the microscope than any other. Perhaps that just comes with some measure of success. This team has been really close for some time now. The biggest difference is that we are two organizations that have gone in opposite directions and have taken each others former identities.

OH MY GOD! We have become Leafs fans! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm sure it's been said, I just skipped to the last page without reading the thread. If no big name free agent wants to sign here I'm perfectly fine with that. I don't want any big name UFA because that means were over paying big time for the most part.

Also if it sucks to play here... Why did the Sedins resign? OT even Kesler? All three were heavily criticized early in their career here in Vancouver.

OP you are bang on.

Its cup or fail for so many stupid Vancouver fans. Did you see the TSN bit the other night on all the Canucks coming to the defence of Lu and admitting that a lot of their fans are boneheads? The players must really hate the fans here. Makes it hard to go to work each day. Must really wear down morale. As if the players need more distraction when the pressure of playoffs come.

What is blatantly obvious is that it is easier for insecure, entitled fans to lay blame and rip into players than to support them in their struggles. Some are easier targets than others (Lu).

Too many people would rather lose and blame someone than take a chance on losing despite giving their full support.

In your words:

"why would any High Valued Free Agent, possibly the missing piece to our Stanley Cup puzzle, ever want to sign/waive NTC to play for the Canucks."

You then go onto give the reasons why you think they would not want to play here. Pretty straight forward.

Archived