The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Why would Anyone Want to play for Vancouver?**

carlweezer

fans treat the team like crap /

we are very passionate about hockey.

i have been watching the canucks since 1980 so what are you talking about.

i don't care if they win the cup. i enjoy watching them. talking about them and listening to the discussion on the radio.

in fact, i find it relaxing to listen to discussion of hockey while stuck in traffic...

lowsy fan ... Thats just stereotypical cause some stupid ass people rioted....they do not represent the majority of us.

fans of the canucks are a disperse group. but we are out their playing ball hockey or ice hockey. taking our kids to their practices and games. playing on ponds in winter...how bout all the hockey fans that volunteer in hockey....

i think we have some great fans.

its unfortunate that some idiots ruined our reputation..

whats a good fan then ?

fans treat the team like crap /

we are very passionate about hockey.

i have been watching the canucks since 1980 so what are you talking about.

i don't care if they win the cup. i enjoy watching them. talking about them and listening to the discussion on the radio.

in fact, i find it relaxing to listen to discussion of hockey while stuck in traffic...

lowsy fan ... Thats just stereotypical cause some stupid ass people rioted....they do not represent the majority of us.

fans of the canucks are a disperse group. but we are out their playing ball hockey or ice hockey. taking our kids to their practices and games. playing on ponds in winter...how bout all the hockey fans that volunteer in hockey....

i think we have some great fans.

its unfortunate that some idiots ruined our reputation..

whats a good fan then ?

Didn't read the whole thread but I agree to an extent; it's a difficult place to play with all the scrutiny, and the relationship between the fans and our team is a bit toxic unless they're constantly winning. It's a reason why the Sedins are my favourite players... They've been so, so loyal to our organization despite all the shortcomings and difficult times (and abuse from fans/media).

At the same time we have generous owners, a very competent GM, and excellent facilities and resources for our players, like skill coach and sleep doctor.

Vancouver the city is a tad expensive (can't imagine Ehrhoff building a house in Van like he's doing in Buffalo- that would take a zillion dollars to do here) but it's a nice place to live as well. Family friendly and bachelor friendly. It's also pretty but I don't know how relevant that is :D

Anyways this was a bit rambling but basically I agree that VAN isn't the most desirable place to play. But if I were an NHL player the reasons I'd come here is because of stable ownership, the players are well taken care of by the organization, there's a chance to win, and the style of play isn't incredibly boring like some teams... :P

Warm climate,a Canadian city close to a lot of NHL'ers hearts,ski,sun and fish,oh and the money,the money,the money.

One could always work at Safeway or aspire to become an electrician for 50k-75k a year or get paid like Luo and make that amount every single day of the year-before breakfast.

Time for a CDC reality check.

August 08,2012-I was just re reading this thread and thinking about my travels through Asia and how Vancouver has a diversity of people from all over and how that is one of the greatest aspects about west coast Canada.

I just love eating Chinese and sushi and Indian/Pakistani/Thai/Viet Nam food,etc..

Living in a diverse country,with great weather and natural beauty and the cleanliness,low crime rate,fairly tolerable, anti-violent ,rational people.Canada is a great land and Vancouver has to be one of the jewels.

Guest gumballthechewy

they dont count because of circumstances like already having a family here and they dont want to remove them from their lives, its espeically tough on children.

Losing in a market like this is probably the toughest mental hurdle a player has to overcome. We all know the media is ruthless and disrespectfully honest at some times. When you're down, there aren't many people who will help you get back up.

But winning in a market like this is an accomplishment like no other. I'm sure the Canucks were on such a high going into game 1 of the SCF and even into game 3. The entire province was electric for those 2 months this spring and it must have been such a rush to be in the heart of all the anticipation.

Winning in hockey crazed markets is all the more satisfying. That is why I would want to play on a team like Vancouver. We're capable of winning and achieving that glory.

• 9 months later...

1 year later, and as i predicted UFA's do not want to sign here! Canucks as a fanbase have a horrible reputatiion around other NHL players.

- pressure packed market that scrutinizes every little thing

- fans that always have a scapegoat every year including franchise players.

-top 5 if not top 3 quietest arena in the nhl,

I will be man enough to admit also that i was wrong about Schneider re-signing so quickly with the Nux. However, I did not know that management would allude to him that he is number 1 goalie and that hey will try and trade Luongo.

Its no mistake that Nash didnt put us on his short list to be traded to, blah blah he didnt want to play for a Canadian team, well the other Canadian teams suck and arent considered playoff contender but why not Vancouver?

I'll bump this next year too just in case you guys are holding your breath on Perry, Getzlaf, Iginla, Hartnell,Zajac, Roy etc!!!

Archived