The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Why would Anyone Want to play for Vancouver?**

carlweezer

Money talks, plain and simple. And most FA's knows that Canucks are the cheapest organization and try to pinch every penny when signing players.

The salary cap is a big issue, but the Canucks would have had plenty of salary cap if Luongo wasn't signed to that untouchable contract that everyone stays away from.

1 year later, and as i predicted UFA's do not want to sign here! Canucks as a fanbase have a horrible reputatiion around other NHL players.

- pressure packed market that scrutinizes every little thing

- fans that always have a scapegoat every year including franchise players.

-top 5 if not top 3 quietest arena in the nhl,

I will be man enough to admit also that i was wrong about Schneider re-signing so quickly with the Nux. However, I did not know that management would allude to him that he is number 1 goalie and that hey will try and trade Luongo.

Its no mistake that Nash didnt put us on his short list to be traded to, blah blah he didnt want to play for a Canadian team, well the other Canadian teams suck and arent considered playoff contender but why not Vancouver?

I'll bump this next year too just in case you guys are holding your breath on Perry, Getzlaf, Iginla, Hartnell,Zajac, Roy etc!!!

Hardcore Canuck fan here to ask some questions, ..please dont troll I would like to have an honest conversation. Can you please answer me this question, why would any High Valued Free Agent, possibly the missing piece to our Stanley Cup puzzle, ever want to sign/waive NTC to play for the Canucks.

The "fans" treat the team like crap, there is always a scapregoat! ALWAYS!, last year it was Bieksa this year its Luongo. We jeer the guy who took us to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, a guy who won the Jennings Award last year and had a CAREER YEAR? a guys who got 2 SHUTOUTS in the Finals. Exhausted from the Months of playoff battle wearing the Canuck uniform proudly only to have a short summer, 2 pre season games and now we crucify him for not playing up to our standards. Is he playing like crap, yep, does he deserve this disrespect? hell no.

Back to the point tho, Who was the last big big free agent player the Canucks grabbed, and im talking about non previous Canuck players so the Sedins, Bieksa etc dont count. Highly Ranked UFA's...hmmm Hamhuis? Samuelsson? Malhotra?...Messier??? No superstar will ever sign here, why should they???

Do you not think that the whole league doesn't see how Vancouver fans treat the team like garbage? and put them in such scrutiny and judgement. They're "professionals" you say, well I say they are humans...NOBODY wants to play in this environment, its an environement where players are set up to fail instead of succeed. Vancouver has been filled with nothing but negativity.

Let's say we make everyones wish come true and we trade Luongo! GREAT! its Schneider Time! Cory Scneider has 1 year left of RFA status then he can choose not to re-sign a contract and walk away from the Canucks!! Do you really think Schneider will want to sign here after seeing what just happened to Luongo??

"for a guy who has done more for this franchise than any other goalie probably in the history of the team you'd think he'd get a bit more slack or some leeway before the fans get on him" -Cory Schneider

Shea Webber to Vancouver next year!!??? why? so he can be humiliated in front of his family and friends day in and day out if he so happens to hit a rut like most players do? And if you think this is a Luongo thing its not, like I said we treat our stars like garbage, Bieksa last year, Sedins in previous years, Naslund in his twilight years, even the great Captain Kirk Maclean in the mid 90's was treated like crap. Even Bure asked for a trade (management issues supposodely)...

So back to the question, why would any player want to sign/waive NTC to come to Vancouver?? to win a cup?? theres 8 other teams they can do that for and not have to go thru this.

If you're a pending Unrestricted Free Agent lets say the likes of; Doan, Semin, Webber, Parise etc etc...what do you see? A fan base known for rioting, a fanbase that constantly treat their own players like crap and puts an immense amount of pressure, a building soooo quiet, a travel schedule incomparable to any and a scrutiny from fanbase and media that can abolish a career.

So people can talk all they want about nice dressing rooms and sleep doctors and a province full of "fans" but that is not how the rest of league perceives the Canucks.

So keep going Vancouver fans, the jeering and the negativity will surely end our 40+ years of misery!

Maybe because Vancouver is one of the nicest places in the world?

Everybody saying the fans are "quiet" don't realize that DJ Dave drowns out the crowd with music in-case most of you don't know. I go to 2-3 Games every year and its super loud.

Archived