The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Why would Anyone Want to play for Vancouver?**

carlweezer

Your an idiot... We haven't had the oppertunity to land a "BIG" free agent because we have no cap space due to the fact we were able to sign "BIG" name players within our organization... y dont u name a time we had a legitimate opportunity to sign a UFA... Kovy? Brad Richards? can we afford a 7 million dollars big name free agent? u idiot... and you say bieksa got heat one year, and sedins another year... ya with a loss thats gonna happen anywhere... u dont think ovechkin, joe thornton, kovalchuk and all these guys get scrutinized when they have bad years or playoffs... yeah luongo is gettin the blame but thats because for 3 straight years we have lost our playoff series because hes given up 4, 5, 6, 7 goals... do any other top goalies consistantly give up that many goals?

Carlweezer, it's obvious from your responses that you are not looking for answers to your questions. You are only looking for like minded people to agree with you.

Next time, instead of asking questions, just write an opinion piece if you are not interested in a debate

I would be gratful to play for ANY NHL team, except vancouver, and maybe the leafs

The reason being, is that over a career, I would mess up alot, and recent events prove that canuck fans turn on their own players. Why would I want to play for a group of people who dont even want their own players? I get off on the crowd chearing for me, this is nothing new, but getting boo'ed by your own fans really takes a toll on your willpower. I could do the classic "frack the fans, i'm gonna prove those bastards wrong" and hate them, but Im a fan favourite whenever I play, I dont want to ruin that forever

Another thing is, Canuck fans are the most hated fans in the sport, I wouldnt want to play for that. If youre not winning, then youre playing for the fans, I dont want to play for ass holes and douchebags, If I was was gonna go out in a losing cause, the fans better be in it

then why no big Signings since Messier?

fans are passionate?? I'm a season ticket holder for the last 3 years and Rogers Arena is one of the MOST quietest buildings and arenas ive ever been to! even during the playoffs! its ridiculous how loud and positive an arena like Nashville or Chicago is compared to Rogers arena. So wheres this passion you speak of? We throw our players under the bus the moment they arent reaching our expectations, thats not passsion.

You dont think the signings of Hamhuis, Malhotra, Ehrhoff, and LaPierre were big? In case you hadnt noticed these are the players that helped give us the best year in Canucks history, and were also crucial in getting us to the finals. Its called depth, and its much bigger than any one player.

You talk as if the players actually come on the CDC boards and listen to the drivel that so many spout off, or for that matter, that they would even care.

These guys understand what it means to play in a hockey market and the pressure that comes along with that. That what they get paid for.

They also want to win, and this team is provides them with an opportunity that few teams have at the moment.

Another question I have for you? Why, if this city and its fans are sooooo bad, do a all of our biggest players, play for a discount.

We dont throw our players under the bus. Its called having expectations. Its what you garner when expectations have been high for years without the results.

Considering how much time and energy (I, you, us) put into following, cheering for, and paying for (heavily) I think this allows me some rights to speaking my mind.

You know what I hate more than fans who are never happy no matter how well the team does? Fans who follow the team blindly and have no real opinion about anything, other than 'Yay" or 'Its okay we'll do better next time'. You know what? Its not ok. We want more. We deserve more. We think our best players , should be the best players. Is that really so much to ask?

well we are pretty close to pulling what Montreal did to Patrick Roy to what we are doing to Luongo.

and I've been to games at the old Montreal Forum or the new Bell Centre, those are some loud loud fans! its an atmosphere every hockey fan should experience.

And I dont really care what other cities are worse, I'm talking about Vancouver.

Agreed 100 % man I've been feeling this way for a long time, more so recently.

Here's a scenario, lets say 3 years from now Alexander Ovechkin is a ufa, and the Capitals are still trying to get him signed the morning of July 1st.

His agent recieves 5 Offers each worth 120M over 10 years.

The teams which made these identical offers are:

Chicago

Pittsburgh

Washington

Detroit

Vancouver

Where does OV chose to sign? If you think Vancouver is at the top of his list you have your head up your ass. And what? Are you going to tell me we dont need him then?

The moment he puts up less than 30 goals he would be crucified here. And with him having no ties to Vancouver UNLIKE HAMHUIS why would he sign here?

Gillis has shown that his plan is too keep core guys salary's down so he can afford to fill out the rest of the team with players that can play and be effective,(the Detroit model).Big free agent signings don't happen here because other teams who's GM's are not as disciplined, are willing to pay more for them than Gillis. Not to mention the fact that there is really no reason to do this yet. Gillis has some trade bait to work with ,but it would be way smarter to wait till the trade deadline. 3/4 of the season is gone and you've had time to assess the team, your trade bait is worth more and free agents are more likely to take a pay cut if they think we are headed for another cup run.

I would be gratful to play for ANY NHL team, except vancouver, and maybe the leafs

The reason being, is that over a career, I would mess up alot, and recent events prove that canuck fans turn on their own players. Why would I want to play for a group of people who dont even want their own players? I get off on the crowd chearing for me, this is nothing new, but getting boo'ed by your own fans really takes a toll on your willpower. I could do the classic "frack the fans, i'm gonna prove those bastards wrong" and hate them, but Im a fan favourite whenever I play, I dont want to ruin that forever

Another thing is, Canuck fans are the most hated fans in the sport, I wouldnt want to play for that. If youre not winning, then youre playing for the fans, I dont want to play for ass holes and douchebags, If I was was gonna go out in a losing cause, the fans better be in it

hows that just my perception?? Canuck fans treat their players like crap? I'm not proud of it but to say this is just My perception is a little naive...

Remeber the "sedin sisters"....bieksa was traded before the season even started last year...Naslund isnt Captain material...etc etc I can go on! The whole league sees this! they watched us humilate ourselves by jeering Luongo on National Television on Tuesday....this is not just my perception...

Archived