The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Why would Anyone Want to play for Vancouver?**

carlweezer

Well I pretty much don't follow direction from 12 year olds on the net but just for you I'll respond in good faith to your original yipping:

If you are only interested in being glorified in sports and playing for thousands of people cheering you on you have no business being on the playing surface. Period.

Also, I'm not negotiating Parise's new contract in Van next year so I'm pretty sure my comments here will have no effect on negotiations.

Guest The Brown Burrows

If I were a player I really couldn't give a crap about the fans. I would care about playing the game and getting my paycheck. Fans are secondarys, they are good to get you going, etc. but at the end of the day , who cares? It's all about the stats and the money.

Unless you're a star NHL player posting here, your opinion of what it's like playing in Vancouver really doesn't matter and is only your opinion. It has no bearing on who would or would not sign here or what the star players think/feel about Vancouver.

If you are saying top players don't want to play here because of the Vancouver fan treatment, it is totally relevant to point out that numerous other hockey markets have fans that behave the same.

Then those markets have the same problem as vancouver, dont they?

Thats like a murderer saying "That guy murdered people to, it must be ok"

"Why does no one want to play in VANCOUVER"

"VANCOUVER sucks"

"But other CITIES suck too"

see what I mean?

Just cause other cities suck, doesnt change my reasonings for playing in vancouver

If you want to get into why I dont want to play in LA, Boston, Montreal, Tronto, New York, alright, they have the same problems as vancouver, the same reasons I dont want to play in VANCOUVER

Your reason for not wanting to play in vancouver is something that happens to alot of other teams so if thats the entire basis of your position then you might as well cross of bunch of other teams of the list as well. You didn't mention anything specific regarding team structure or coaching or strategy. You specifically said booing, which if you look around happens everywhere

I cant believe i have to spell it out for you.

Come to think of it why are you even here, I've never see a post from you in support of the canucks.

Maybe you should hit up Calgary Puck. You'd fit in better there.

Vancouver is an intense hockey market, the players understand that, and so do the fans and management. Some players thrive off it, some don't. If you look at the interviews after the Rangers game, Bieksa & Luongo acknowledged that its all part of the business of pro sports that there will be blame after a loss. I think a lot of fans on CDC are wayyyyyy to sensitive when their favorite players get booed.

Wow. You really don't get it, do you? OK, let me spell it out:

Your argument was that you wouldn't want to play in Vancouver because the fans boo our players occasionally. pinecone replyed saying other teams do the same thing. As in, your argument about the Canucks also applies to other teams' fanbases, so it isn't a good argument against the Canucks. Because OTHER TEAMS DO THE SAME THING. INCLUDING YOUR DEVILS. Get it?

For comparsson, imagine I said I didn't like ice cream store A solely because they don't serve vanilla, but I like store B. Store B doesn't serve vanilla either, but I like their chocolate. Does it make sense that I don't like store A? No, because the only reason I don't like store A also applies to store B.

Get it?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Call the waaaaamublance.

You don't think he'd get ripped in Chicago or Philly or Hockey Town USA?! That's asinine.

If someone can't handle the scrutiny I don't want him here anyway. That would mean he's a mental midget who can't handle difficult and adverse circumstances. I'd want no part of anyone who's like that.

You're either a troll, or an idiot

Im going with both

I never brought up the devils

Why dont you go make a thread asking for reasons why you wouldnt play for all 30 teams, then ill expand

But we are talking about Vancouver, and Vancouver only. You want to talk about New Jersey, go make a thread, or PM me

You dont like Ice Cream store A

I ask why

You say they dont serve vanilla

Where does Store B come into play? I didnt ask about them, I dont care if you dont like them. I wanted to know why you didnt like Store A, you shouldnt have to explain why you dont like Store B to justify not liking store B

Wether or not I dont want to play for New Jersey is irrelivent to why I dont want to play for vancouver

In order to support an argument you have supporting facts.

You state you dont want to play for vancouver because the fans boo.

I said it happens in alot of other places.

You say it doesn't matter im talking about vancouver only.

Im saying how can you base your entire position on that when its common with alot of other teams?

If you said something like Vancouver doesn't commit to free agents long term or the coaching staff plays favorites I'd be more inclined to believe your opinion holds some weight.

No matter what job a person does, they will always be under scrutiny from others and they will always have to prove themselves as being worthy of whatever position they have.

The only difference between hockey players and us regular folks is that hockey players get paid a helluva lot better than we do. They live lives of luxury, do what they love, and the organization protects them to the best of their ability. If a bit of public scrutiny is the price they have to pay for having a dream job I say deal with it. A lot of people would give everything to be where Luongo and Co. are right now

Where in my post did I ever say we don't need Ovie? What I did say is that I wouldn't want a player on this team, Ovie or anyone else, that can't mentally handle the hockey madness of Vancouver. That tells me all I need to know about the mental makeup of that player and I'd want no part of it.

I understand that they were payed very well, maybe overpaid, but I respect guys like Cammalleri and Gionta who go to that crazy market in Montreal and actually embrace it. It tells me they have the ability to block things out and just go play and that they want that pressure.

Those are mentally the types of players I want the Canucks to get.

Can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Archived