The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Why would Anyone Want to play for Vancouver?**

carlweezer

If you're a pending Unrestricted Free Agent lets say the likes of; Doan, Semin, Webber, Parise etc etc...what do you see? A fan base known for rioting, a fanbase that constantly treat their own players like crap and puts an immense amount of pressure, a building soooo quiet, a travel schedule incomparable to any and a scrutiny from fanbase and media that can abolish a career.

So people can talk all they want about nice dressing rooms and sleep doctors and a province full of "fans" but that is not how the rest of league perceives the Canucks.

Your an idiot... We haven't had the oppertunity to land a "BIG" free agent because we have no cap space due to the fact we were able to sign "BIG" name players within our organization... y dont u name a time we had a legitimate opportunity to sign a UFA... Kovy? Brad Richards? can we afford a 7 million dollars big name free agent? u idiot... and you say bieksa got heat one year, and sedins another year... ya with a loss thats gonna happen anywhere... u dont think ovechkin, joe thornton, kovalchuk and all these guys get scrutinized when they have bad years or playoffs... yeah luongo is gettin the blame but thats because for 3 straight years we have lost our playoff series because hes given up 4, 5, 6, 7 goals... do any other top goalies consistantly give up that many goals?

Your an idiot... We haven't had the oppertunity to land a "BIG" free agent because we have no cap space due to the fact we were able to sign "BIG" name players within our organization... y dont u name a time we had a legitimate opportunity to sign a UFA... Kovy? Brad Richards? can we afford a 7 million dollars big name free agent? u idiot... and you say bieksa got heat one year, and sedins another year... ya with a loss thats gonna happen anywhere... u dont think ovechkin, joe thornton, kovalchuk and all these guys get scrutinized when they have bad years or playoffs... yeah luongo is gettin the blame but thats because for 3 straight years we have lost our playoff series because hes given up 4, 5, 6, 7 goals... do any other top goalies consistantly give up that many goals?

The team, not talking about the dumb fan, give an A treatment to every single of our players, maybe it's seem ridiculous for some of you but in other NHL teams, their AHL players received used equipement or stock they have in over in their NHL team. Those NHL look cheap, but when you are in a team like the Canucks you know if there is something wrong they would spend all the money it need to fix the problem.

D Sedin, H Sedin, Kesler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Ballard and Luongo(like him or not, but with our 1,14 goal for average in the Stanley Cup Fianl we would be out in 4 if it wasn't of him) are all under contract for the next 2 season, excluding this year. You can add players like Alex Burrows who I'm pretty sure will stay with us receiving less money than he deserve because we gave him a chance to succeed in the world of professional hockey and I'm pretty sure he like to play with the Sedin and they like to play with him. So with all of them we always have a chance to win the Cup.

Never went to Vancouver, but I'm pretty sure it's a better place to live than other NHL city.

That's enough good reason, but not overpaying a free agent during the free agent's frenzy, it's something else. It's an hard thing to do in a few hours to convince a free agent to take less money for a group of people he don't know.

What it isn't helping us, it's what all the fans who are on Luongo are doing, do you think a free agent really want to have his home crowd against him?

Vancouver is an intense hockey market, the players understand that, and so do the fans and management. Some players thrive off it, some don't. If you look at the interviews after the Rangers game, Bieksa & Luongo acknowledged that its all part of the business of pro sports that there will be blame after a loss. I think a lot of fans on CDC are wayyyyyy to sensitive when their favorite players get booed.

A FA would sign here in a heartbeat if he thought that Vancouver would win the Cup. Do you seriously think that the players top priority is what you or I think? Just as Henrik said the other day, we don't worry about what anyone thinks or says, we play for the team.

Your post is mostly inspired by people putting the heat on Luongo for a whack of poor performances. Why don't you just reduce your post to one line....I love Luongo and will follow him blindly no matter what.

Ask yourself this, how many FA's would want to sign in Vancouver if they knew that the Luongo situation was not going to win a Cup? I am not saying that Luongo can't win a Cup either but he has to play better than he has showed so far.

Hardcore Canuck fan here to ask some questions, ..please dont troll I would like to have an honest conversation. Can you please answer me this question, why would any High Valued Free Agent, possibly the missing piece to our Stanley Cup puzzle, ever want to sign/waive NTC to play for the Canucks.

The "fans" treat the team like crap, there is always a scapregoat! ALWAYS!, last year it was Bieksa this year its Luongo. We jeer the guy who took us to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, a guy who won the Jennings Award last year and had a CAREER YEAR? a guys who got 2 SHUTOUTS in the Finals. Exhausted from the Months of playoff battle wearing the Canuck uniform proudly only to have a short summer, 2 pre season games and now we crucify him for not playing up to our standards. Is he playing like crap, yep, does he deserve this disrespect? hell no.

Back to the point tho, Who was the last big big free agent player the Canucks grabbed, and im talking about non previous Canuck players so the Sedins, Bieksa etc dont count. Highly Ranked UFA's...hmmm Hamhuis? Samuelsson? Malhotra?...Messier??? No superstar will ever sign here, why should they???

Do you not think that the whole league doesn't see how Vancouver fans treat the team like garbage? and put them in such scrutiny and judgement. They're "professionals" you say, well I say they are humans...NOBODY wants to play in this environment, its an environement where players are set up to fail instead of succeed. Vancouver has been filled with nothing but negativity.

Let's say we make everyones wish come true and we trade Luongo! GREAT! its Schneider Time! Cory Scneider has 1 year left of RFA status then he can choose not to re-sign a contract and walk away from the Canucks!! Do you really think Schneider will want to sign here after seeing what just happened to Luongo??

Shea Webber to Vancouver next year!!??? why? so he can be humiliated in front of his family and friends day in and day out if he so happens to hit a rut like most players do? And if you think this is a Luongo thing its not, like I said we treat our stars like garbage, Bieksa last year, Sedins in previous years, Naslund in his twilight years, even the great Captain Kirk Maclean in the mid 90's was treated like crap. Even Bure asked for a trade (management issues supposodely)...

So back to the question, why would any player want to sign/waive NTC to come to Vancouver?? to win a cup?? theres 8 other teams they can do that for and not have to go thru this.

If you're a pending Unrestricted Free Agent lets say the likes of; Doan, Semin, Webber, Parise etc etc...what do you see? A fan base known for rioting, a fanbase that constantly treat their own players like crap and puts an immense amount of pressure, a building soooo quiet, a travel schedule incomparable to any and a scrutiny from fanbase and media that can abolish a career.

So people can talk all they want about nice dressing rooms and sleep doctors and a province full of "fans" but that is not how the rest of league perceives the Canucks.

So keep going Vancouver fans, the jeering and the negativity will surely end our 40+ years of misery!

then why no big Signings since Messier?

fans are passionate?? I'm a season ticket holder for the last 3 years and Rogers Arena is one of the MOST quietest buildings and arenas ive ever been to! even during the playoffs! its ridiculous how loud and positive an arena like Nashville or Chicago is compared to Rogers arena. So wheres this passion you speak of? We throw our players under the bus the moment they arent reaching our expectations, thats not passsion.

What I don t get is every year the team starts slow, and every year they pick it up and finnish on or near the top. Yet every year fans panic and scream for a trade or for the GMs head. Lou becomes a target of scrutiny and the stars become instant targets for the fickle fans anger.

The Nucks will be fine again this year and MG knows it. He has nt made a trade cause he does nt have to. He s the best GM the Canucks have ever had (in my opinion) and has a nose for sniffing out players that fit on this team. If the team does nt pick it up, trust MG to pull the trigger. I wouldn t expect the blockbuster everyone keeps talkin about, but a wake up deal to kickstart them into the win column on a more regular basis, however as I previously stated, I don t think it will be necessary.

Injuries have also played a factor in the sluggish start. Kesler s just returning and has nt had a chance to get into game shape. He looked good in Tuesdays game but the rust was obvious. He had a great chance in front of the net and 9 times out of ten would have burried it. It s gonna take him a few games to get used to the new faces on the team as well. Mason Raymonds out and may not play at all.

Our young rookie (Cody Hodgeson) appears to have started a new position on the wing and needs time to adjust. But once the adjustments are made, look for him and Kesler to be a dynamite duo. The signs were there in the last game, they just could nt put it past a hot goaltender.

I guess all I m tryin to say is be patient. they ll come around. Embrace the hate, enjoy the team and support them through a rough spell. They play their hearts out and don t deserve to be thrown under the bus everytime they hit a dry spell

I'd say for the forwards and defence, the fans treat them alright. If fans aren't happy with a guy, its usually because he isn't preforming nearly up to where he should. When it comes to the goalie, its a whole different story. People would take Schneider as our starter in a second, but he'd end up in the same boat as Luongo in less then a year.

Any goalie that does not win a cup with Vancouver, will never ever get any credit, and the blame will fall on them. And you know why? A lack of understanding of the game. The goalie is the easiest one to blame, especially if you don't understand how the game is played. Any one with a good knowledge of how the game is played, not just rules, understands that last game was not Luongo's fault. Defensive breakdowns, turnovers, and missed coverage were the issues. That and we didn't score one freakin goal.

My point is, (the majority of) the fans in Vancouver must not be very smart. They can't be if they think Luongo is the reason we're not winning.

12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and yet its all one mans fault?

Hardcore Canuck fan here to ask some questions, ..please dont troll I would like to have an honest conversation. Can you please answer me this question, why would any High Valued Free Agent, possibly the missing piece to our Stanley Cup puzzle, ever want to sign/waive NTC to play for the Canucks.

The "fans" treat the team like crap, there is always a scapregoat! ALWAYS!, last year it was Bieksa this year its Luongo. We jeer the guy who took us to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, a guy who won the Jennings Award last year and had a CAREER YEAR? a guys who got 2 SHUTOUTS in the Finals. Exhausted from the Months of playoff battle wearing the Canuck uniform proudly only to have a short summer, 2 pre season games and now we crucify him for not playing up to our standards. Is he playing like crap, yep, does he deserve this disrespect? hell no.

Back to the point tho, Who was the last big big free agent player the Canucks grabbed, and im talking about non previous Canuck players so the Sedins, Bieksa etc dont count. Highly Ranked UFA's...hmmm Hamhuis? Samuelsson? Malhotra?...Messier??? No superstar will ever sign here, why should they???

Do you not think that the whole league doesn't see how Vancouver fans treat the team like garbage? and put them in such scrutiny and judgement. They're "professionals" you say, well I say they are humans...NOBODY wants to play in this environment, its an environement where players are set up to fail instead of succeed. Vancouver has been filled with nothing but negativity.

Let's say we make everyones wish come true and we trade Luongo! GREAT! its Schneider Time! Cory Scneider has 1 year left of RFA status then he can choose not to re-sign a contract and walk away from the Canucks!! Do you really think Schneider will want to sign here after seeing what just happened to Luongo??

Shea Webber to Vancouver next year!!??? why? so he can be humiliated in front of his family and friends day in and day out if he so happens to hit a rut like most players do? And if you think this is a Luongo thing its not, like I said we treat our stars like garbage, Bieksa last year, Sedins in previous years, Naslund in his twilight years, even the great Captain Kirk Maclean in the mid 90's was treated like crap. Even Bure asked for a trade (management issues supposodely)...

So back to the question, why would any player want to sign/waive NTC to come to Vancouver?? to win a cup?? theres 8 other teams they can do that for and not have to go thru this.

So keep going Vancouver fans, the jeering and the negativity will surely end our 40+ years of misery!

then why no big Signings since Messier?

fans are passionate?? I'm a season ticket holder for the last 3 years and Rogers Arena is one of the MOST quietest buildings and arenas ive ever been to! even during the playoffs! its ridiculous how loud and positive an arena like Nashville or Chicago is compared to Rogers arena. So wheres this passion you speak of? We throw our players under the bus the moment they arent reaching our expectations, thats not passsion.

Only one year ago Dan Hamhuis was a hot commodity on the UFA market and MG signed him, I think that counts especially in the past few years of Free Agency. There are less and less "superstars" available now than there were before the lockout and most teams that don't have a whack of money invested in a core nucleus of players are going to target the shrinking talent pool. With that being said, there are still millions of reasons why UFA's would want to come here. Don't kid yourself OP. You make it sound like Vancouver is the ONLY hockey city out there that get on their players when they're struggling. It comes with the territory of being a high paid athlete/ public figure.

Archived