The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Why would Anyone Want to play for Vancouver?**

carlweezer

I know my opion doesn't matter much all I have to say is I agree the fan support is very low expectations are high wow this year I got to see my 1st live game in about 15 years the atmospher to me was no where close to how it was back in the old Coliseum days when the games, the food, and the players were affordable. one this I agree with is yes promote with in. look at the Yankees for example what did they do? spend of $200 million dollars did that guarentee them a World series every year. I have played sports fan appreciation goes a very long way to win. sorry guys going way off topic

Okay wait a minute...

Dan Hamhuis was the most sought after free agent of 2010. His rights were traded to both Pitt and Philly - which happen to be top caliber organizations...

But Hamhuis waited till July 1st, took LESS money and signed with the Canucks.

Just saying.

Agreed 100 % man I've been feeling this way for a long time, more so recently.

Here's a scenario, lets say 3 years from now Alexander Ovechkin is a ufa, and the Capitals are still trying to get him signed the morning of July 1st.

His agent recieves 5 Offers each worth 120M over 10 years.

The teams which made these identical offers are:

Chicago

Pittsburgh

Washington

Detroit

Vancouver

Where does OV chose to sign? If you think Vancouver is at the top of his list you have your head up your ass. And what? Are you going to tell me we dont need him then?

The moment he puts up less than 30 goals he would be crucified here. And with him having no ties to Vancouver UNLIKE HAMHUIS why would he sign here?

The ownership has committed to making this a place where players want to play. From the way the organization treats them to the facility upgrades and the fact that they are committed to the on ice product. Also, we haven't tageted a big name UFA since Sundin ... do you follow Canucks hockey at all cause this stuff is pretty basic.

Here's a scenario, lets say 3 years from now Alexander Ovechkin is a ufa, and the Capitals are still trying to get him signed the morning of July 1st.

Chicago

Pittsburgh

Washington

Detroit

Vancouver

Where does OV chose to sign? If you think Vancouver is at the top of his list you have your head up your ass. And what? Are you going to tell me we dont need him then?

The moment he puts up less than 30 goals he would be crucified here. And with him having no ties to Vancouver UNLIKE HAMHUIS why would he sign here?

Hardcore Canuck fan here to ask some questions, ..please dont troll I would like to have an honest conversation. Can you please answer me this question, why would any High Valued Free Agent, possibly the missing piece to our Stanley Cup puzzle, ever want to sign/waive NTC to play for the Canucks.

So keep going Vancouver fans, the jeering and the negativity will surely end our 40+ years of misery!

hows that just my perception?? Canuck fans treat their players like crap? I'm not proud of it but to say this is just My perception is a little naive...

Remeber the "sedin sisters"....bieksa was traded before the season even started last year...Naslund isnt Captain material...etc etc I can go on! The whole league sees this! they watched us humilate ourselves by jeering Luongo on National Television on Tuesday....this is not just my perception...

Hardcore Canuck fan here to ask some questions, ..please dont troll I would like to have an honest conversation. Can you please answer me this question, why would any High Valued Free Agent, possibly the missing piece to our Stanley Cup puzzle, ever want to sign/waive NTC to play for the Canucks.

The "fans" treat the team like crap, there is always a scapregoat! ALWAYS!, last year it was Bieksa this year its Luongo. We jeer the guy who took us to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, a guy who won the Jennings Award last year and had a CAREER YEAR? a guys who got 2 SHUTOUTS in the Finals. Exhausted from the Months of playoff battle wearing the Canuck uniform proudly only to have a short summer, 2 pre season games and now we crucify him for not playing up to our standards. Is he playing like crap, yep, does he deserve this disrespect? hell no.

Back to the point tho, Who was the last big big free agent player the Canucks grabbed, and im talking about non previous Canuck players so the Sedins, Bieksa etc dont count. Highly Ranked UFA's...hmmm Hamhuis? Samuelsson? Malhotra?...Messier??? No superstar will ever sign here, why should they???

Do you not think that the whole league doesn't see how Vancouver fans treat the team like garbage? and put them in such scrutiny and judgement. They're "professionals" you say, well I say they are humans...NOBODY wants to play in this environment, its an environement where players are set up to fail instead of succeed. Vancouver has been filled with nothing but negativity.

Let's say we make everyones wish come true and we trade Luongo! GREAT! its Schneider Time! Cory Scneider has 1 year left of RFA status then he can choose not to re-sign a contract and walk away from the Canucks!! Do you really think Schneider will want to sign here after seeing what just happened to Luongo??

Shea Webber to Vancouver next year!!??? why? so he can be humiliated in front of his family and friends day in and day out if he so happens to hit a rut like most players do? And if you think this is a Luongo thing its not, like I said we treat our stars like garbage, Bieksa last year, Sedins in previous years, Naslund in his twilight years, even the great Captain Kirk Maclean in the mid 90's was treated like crap. Even Bure asked for a trade (management issues supposodely)...

So back to the question, why would any player want to sign/waive NTC to come to Vancouver?? to win a cup?? theres 8 other teams they can do that for and not have to go thru this.

If you're a pending Unrestricted Free Agent lets say the likes of; Doan, Semin, Webber, Parise etc etc...what do you see? A fan base known for rioting, a fanbase that constantly treat their own players like crap and puts an immense amount of pressure, a building soooo quiet, a travel schedule incomparable to any and a scrutiny from fanbase and media that can abolish a career.

So people can talk all they want about nice dressing rooms and sleep doctors and a province full of "fans" but that is not how the rest of league perceives the Canucks.

So keep going Vancouver fans, the jeering and the negativity will surely end our 40+ years of misery!

Chicago

Pittsburgh

Washington

Detroit

Vancouver

To answer the original question (and without reading through 6 pages of the OP's drivel), there are several reasons why players want to play in Vancouver.

1) The chance to compete for the Stanley Cup. There are 30 teams in the league, 16 make the playoffs, and really only 5 or 6 of those teams have a legitimate shot of winning the grand prize, and even then, it's still a monumental task. So the best approach is to sign with the team that provides the best shot of achieving that goal. It's a team game, and no player can win it by himself. The fact that the Canucks haven't brought in many big name free agents is a combination of spending close to the cap, and needing more role players rather than big names who will inevitably end up with 3rd line minutes.

2) The chance to play in a passionate city. You have 30 teams to choose from. Do you want to play in Florida where your chance of being in the playoffs is remote at best, collect your paycheque, and enjoy the sun? Or do you want to really get the most out of your playing career? Some players enjoy the pressure. Yes, we are hard on players, but how many of us are criticizing players that are doing well in their roles? When was the last time you heard us call out the Sedins, Kesler, Malhotra, Hamhuis, Edler, Burrows, Salo, Tanev, Schneider, Higgins. It's been a long time. They're effective for the most part. Yes they make mistakes, but their contributions have outweighed those mistakes. Personally, as a musician, I would prefer to play to a full house criticizing every note rather than a relatively empty room where the few people that are there are drunk and not even listening (yes, I'm making an analogy).

3) Lifestyle. Have you seen any of those lists that rank cities as most or least (insert quality here)? Vancouver is consistently among the most livable places, cleanest, beautiful, etc. In fact it is consistently the top North American city in these lists. Yes it is among the least affordable in the world (like that matters to millionaires), and we are among the least fashionable (oh noes), but there is something to be said about where you live.

4) Management. As others have mentioned - sleep doctors, the dressing room, and probably other things that I have skipped over. They are done with the intention of getting the most out of the players, and treating them well. You said it yourself - players are human. We all want to be treated with respect. The Canucks are an organization whose management treats its players well.

5) The fans. Yes, you read that right. The fans treat players well... provided the player is playing up to par. Even at the decline of Linden's career, scoring 3 or 4 goals all year, he was still treated as a legend by the fans. Nobody turned on him like we have with Luongo, Raymond and Bieksa. All the players are heroes when it comes to Canuck Place, other charities and public appearances. Compare it to places like Phoenix and Carolina where a player would be lucky to be recognized. Yes, some players would like to have that anonymity, but as human beings, we have an innate desire to be recognized for being good at what we do in any walk of life. We feed off praise. And playing well in a market like Vancouver's will provide a player with that praise.

so the reason we havent signed a highly touted UFA over the last 10 years is because WE DONT NEED THEM?? isnt that a little arrogant considering the Canucks have never won the cup? we dont need them? why not?? Players dont sign in Vancouver because of these main things; travel and media and Fan pressure/treatment.

I would be gratful to play for ANY NHL team, except vancouver, and maybe the leafs

The reason being, is that over a career, I would mess up alot, and recent events prove that canuck fans turn on their own players. Why would I want to play for a group of people who dont even want their own players? I get off on the crowd chearing for me, this is nothing new, but getting boo'ed by your own fans really takes a toll on your willpower. I could do the classic "frack the fans, i'm gonna prove those bastards wrong" and hate them, but Im a fan favourite whenever I play, I dont want to ruin that forever

Another thing is, Canuck fans are the most hated fans in the sport, I wouldnt want to play for that. If youre not winning, then youre playing for the fans, I dont want to play for ass holes and douchebags, If I was was gonna go out in a losing cause, the fans better be in it

I would be gratful to play for ANY NHL team, except vancouver, and maybe the leafs

The reason being, is that over a career, I would mess up alot, and recent events prove that canuck fans turn on their own players. Why would I want to play for a group of people who dont even want their own players? I get off on the crowd chearing for me, this is nothing new, but getting boo'ed by your own fans really takes a toll on your willpower. I could do the classic "frack the fans, i'm gonna prove those bastards wrong" and hate them, but Im a fan favourite whenever I play, I dont want to ruin that forever

Another thing is, Canuck fans are the most hated fans in the sport, I wouldnt want to play for that. If youre not winning, then youre playing for the fans, I dont want to play for ass holes and douchebags, If I was was gonna go out in a losing cause, the fans better be in it

Archived