The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Why would Anyone Want to play for Vancouver?**

carlweezer

Well carl .. after 40 minutes of reading, I can only come to one conclusion .. the problem must be YOU, carl .. your effect at dampening the enthusiasm of the Canucks fanbase is contagious and has spread to the Rogers crowd .. When you are a player and you sign in a Canadian city, know the devotion/intensity of the fan base and are paid more money than you can ever spend by folks who work hard to earn money to buy the tickets, you had best exhibit a solid work ethic, and that you care .. if not, don't sign here or else accept the judgement of those who pay your wages .. Lui accepts he is not playing well and the paying fan have the right to jeer him .. cheer failure and reap the result .. I cheer effort and success, but firstly effort .. I refuse to cheer for someone being paid huge dollars who is not putting out 100% ,,

Well carl .. after 40 minutes of reading, I can only come to one conclusion .. the problem must be YOU, carl .. your effect at dampening the enthusiasm of the Canucks fanbase is contagious and has spread to the Rogers crowd .. When you are a player and you sign in a Canadian city, know the devotion/intensity of the fan base and are paid more money than you can ever spend by folks who work hard to earn money to buy the tickets, you had best exhibit a solid work ethic, and that you care .. if not, don't sign here or else accept the judgement of those who pay your wages .. Lui accepts he is not playing well and the paying fan have the right to jeer him .. cheer failure and reap the result .. I cheer effort and success, but firstly effort .. I refuse to cheer for someone being paid huge dollars who is not putting out 100% ,,

Im not saying If Im a UFA I dont want to play in Vancouver because the fans booo....

Im SAYING....If I'm a UFA I dont want to play for Vancouver because

1. Travel Schedule

2. Fan/Media scrutiny and ridiculous pressure from a city who has never won the cup

3. Fan/Media treatment on star players eg: Sedin Sisters, trade Bieksa, Hodgson is a bust, Trade Luongo etc.

4. One of the most quietest buildings in Hockey

So those are my points, the booing the other night was embarrassing and even more it was on National Television. Players see this and players talk. Theres a reason why Vancouver is one of the most hated teams in the league according to a vote by players.

Well you probably don't which is probably why you're not in a high paying job situation. Almost all 6 and 7 figure jobs come with a lot of pressure and required skillsets. The aim is not to provide you with a good time in compensation for you receiving millions of dollars per yerar. In fact the better the job the more stress you usually have. You usually don't hold out on 1 million dollar a year jobs becasue they are not easy, fun, and geared to your wants. :lol:

<br />6 <br />4<br />7<br />5<br />4<br />4<br />5<br />7<br />5<br />7<br />5<br />4<br />4<br />8<br />4<br />5<br />4<br /><br />Last 3 years of playoffs he let in 4 or more goals 17 times!!! What has he done lately is that. All I ask is be consistant with your play. Cory schneider would be our starter had we not signed him to that contract dont kid yourself.<br /><br />If gillis could take it back he would.<br />

Not all teams have the same perk, just like not all stores have the same icecream

Store A may have Bubble Gum ice cream, but im gonna go with Rocky Road from Store B instead, even tho they both dont have vanilla

But again, we are only talking about Store A, the OP asked about Store A, I answered about Store A

Store B might have the same problems as Store A, and it may or not have perks that Store A doesnt, but why do I have to talk about Store B when I was asked about Store A and why I dont like Store A? You can bring up Store B all you want, but I didnt say anything about it, nor does it change the fact that I dont like Store A

I dont want to play for vancouver because the fans are harsh, because I dont like the fans, and the travel would be a bitch

I dont want to play for Toronto because the fans are harsh, and Toronto is a horrible city

I dont want to play for montreal because the fans are harsh. But I am willing to play for them because Montreal has huge history and fan base outside of montreal

I dont want to play for New York because I hate the rangers, but I might be willing to because the rangers are an origional 6 team, but I hate the rangers

I dont want to play for Boston because the fans are ficle, but Origional 6 with history,and a recent stanley cup winner

I dont want to play for Calgary because of the fans, but they have an excellent Rivarly with Vancouver and Edmonton, 2 teams I dont like

I dont want to play for New Jersey because the fans are idiots, but they are my favourite team, so id be willing to play for them, no matter what, and little fan base means no pressure if I do suck

I dont want to play for LA, because I would much rather play for Anaheim, but LA is a really nice place, I have alot of friends down there

Now that this is a general thread for every team, why dont we discuss why players dont want to play for LA, NJ, Calgary, Boston, New York, Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver

But this is a thread about vancouver

<br /><br /><br />

... And what makes you think Cory will take no time to sign a long-term contract this off season to stay here, if we drove Louongo out of town in this manner? Cory isn't blind. He has seen exactly what kind of scrutiny, fair or not, from the local fan & media Luongo had to go through all these years. My bet is that if Cory wants #1 goalie job (which he very much deserves BTW), it won't be in Vancouver where he'll be dissected alive for each goal he allowed for every game.

I won't comment on us missing on the big-name FA sigings OP suggested, because like many other posters have already pointed out there are simply too many factors at play. But I think it just might as well be the case as far as playing as the goalie in this market. Apparently for some fanbase in this city the hockey club only exists to serve one purpose - winning the cup - and they will only crucify the goalie when it doesn't happen.

I honestly doubt if any NHL goalie with a right mind would want to put up with that year after year.

Not all teams have the same perk, just like not all stores have the same icecream

Store A may have Bubble Gum ice cream, but im gonna go with Rocky Road from Store B instead, even tho they both dont have vanilla

But again, we are only talking about Store A, the OP asked about Store A, I answered about Store A

Store B might have the same problems as Store A, and it may or not have perks that Store A doesnt, but why do I have to talk about Store B when I was asked about Store A and why I dont like Store A? You can bring up Store B all you want, but I didnt say anything about it, nor does it change the fact that I dont like Store A

Mmkay, everyone has a reason but really elaborate on these, if you can.

You're just saying you don't like fans in general. the seasons you stated above are all "The fans are mean, stupid, fickle" then what's the point? If fans are going to have that much of an impact on your game, you don't belong in the league. The travel thing, I'll give to you but if you are out of shape and not conditioned then avoid Vancouver

I'll give you the Toronto bit because their ownership, management, coaching, everything is horrible

Again with the fans. Don't forget their TMZ-like media. And Montreal isn't the only team with a fan base outside of their city

That's not a good enough reason not to play for a team. You don't like a team on personal bias so you won't play for them. Okay

Boston fans are fickle. So, they have 'harsh' fans. Nice change-up. You'd just blindly follow teams that have a 'history' or recent Cup wins?

So, again, you'd play on a team because of a personal bias. A team with no structure, a team that places a band-aid on a wound and expect to go anywhere?

Favourite team, okay personal bias. I like the "little fan base means no pressure if I do suck." Nice attitude. You, as a player, have no say in where you end up. No one cares what your reasons are for not wanting to play for a team. If you get traded to Vancouver, TO, Montreal, NYR and your personal bias gets in the way, it says a lot about your character then no team will want you if you aren't going to do your job

Archived