The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Henrik Sedin the best player to ever wear a Canuck Uniform / How many points will he finish with?

babych

Best Canuck Ever?  

373 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pavel Bure. For the youngins' around here, you have to look at some videos. You talk about how silent Rogers Arena is? Back in the day, the arena was electrified whenever he got the puck. His end to end rushes were incredible (and more than often ended with a goal). In todays game, he would be one of the top 3 elite forwards.

Such an exciting, talented player. There's never been anyone like him since and I doubt there ever will be.

I'm not getting the Mark Messier or Sundin votes. Those player were fantastic on their former teams, but hardly elite players for the Nucks.

Pavel Bure. For the youngins' around here, you have to look at some videos. You talk about how silent Rogers Arena is? Back in the day, the arena was electrified whenever he got the puck. His end to end rushes were incredible (and more than often ended with a goal). In todays game, he would be one of the top 3 elite forwards.

Such an exciting, talented player. There's never been anyone like him since and I doubt there ever will be.

I'm not getting the Mark Messier or Sundin votes. Those player were fantastic on their former teams, but hardly elite players for the Nucks.

Talent-wise is very hard to disagree with this. But when you talk about the entire tenure as a Canuck it gets more muddled.

Plus, Henrik will be the franchise leader in points fairly shortly into this season. And, he will very likely play his entire career here.

One last thing - I think we can all agree that Henrik will have his jersey retired by the Canucks. Does it make sense to call Bure the best Canuck ever when we haven't even retired his jersey?

Talent-wise is very hard to disagree with this. But when you talk about the entire tenure as a Canuck it gets more muddled.

Plus, Henrik will be the franchise leader in points fairly shortly into this season. And, he will very likely play his entire career here.

One last thing - I think we can all agree that Henrik will have his jersey retired by the Canucks. Does it make sense to call Bure the best Canuck ever when we haven't even retired his jersey?

Politics. Where else is there an HOF player who doesn't have his jersey raised in his home team rafters? This is a travesty.

Back to back Rocket Richard Trophies and lead the '93 season in goals before RR trophy was established. Think of what he could have done with a twin brother...

I'm not devaluing Henrik...he is an elite player as well. I just think Pavel was better.

Can you guess by my sig which way I voted? Daniel and Henrik Sedin deserve more credit than they get sometimes. They are a joy to watch. Just wait until they take us to Lord Stanley's promised land.

Most Talented: Bure

Best: Naslund

Ultimate "Canuck": Trevor Linden

Soon to be Greatest: Daniel and Henrik Sedin

Bless you Sweden, we are not worthy of all the gifts you give us. Seriously, next time the world championships or something are here, people should go out and loudly support Sweden if they aren't playing Canada.

The poll is too vague to even vote in it... the best at what? Not at scoring goals surely, Daniel, Naslund and Bure were far better at that. The best playmaker we've had? Definitely. I think Linden was the best 'overall' if you take into account all the intangibles and leadership.

Henrik isn't the franchise best IMO right now. However, barring any injury or unforeseen circumstances, he and his brother will go down as the most decorated Canucks in franchise history.

-Henrik and Daniel have lead the most dominant Canucks team the NHL has ever seen, including two consecutive 1st place finishes, with a reasonable chance to earn a third one.

-Both are responsible for helping the Canucks reach the Finals for only the 3rd time ever, something that only a very select few Canuck captains have done (the other two are hanging in the rafters)

-Both have won major trophies including league scoring titles and MVP awards, and again, their careers aren't even close to ending.

-Something also should be said about helping one time ECHL'er Alex Burrows become a 35 goal scorer with a 70 pt. season.

I would put Henrik and Daniel together rather than just Henrik, but when all is said and done, they will both be in the rafters, and probably in the HHOF also.

I know a lot of people love the skills Naslund had and Bure's explosiveness, but the Sedins are to me the best combo of skill and smarts I have ever seen in a Canuck uniform.

I have watched this clip two dozen times, and it still amazes me what these guys can do.

The poll is too vague to even vote in it... the best at what? Not at scoring goals surely, Daniel, Naslund and Bure were far better at that. The best playmaker we've had? Definitely. I think Linden was the best 'overall' if you take into account all the intangibles and leadership.

The poll is for the entire body of work. Yes Linden was arguably the leader and Daniel, Naslund and Bure were by far better goal scorers. But when you take into account games played, points scored, etc who is/was the best overall Canuck?

It's a tough question. I agree with you and higgyfan that Bure was the most talented player ever to be drafted and wear the jersey. But at some point does longevity take over? This season Henrik will be the all time points leader and will have played double the number of games that Bure did.

A good case can be (and is) made for Linden, Bure, Daniel and Henrik. But you're totally right on the vagueness. Maybe it's not a fair question in that sense.

I appreciate the input and conversation though.

Henrik beat out Ovechkin and Crosby to win the first Hart and Art Ross in franchise history. He and Daniel have dominated this league over the last 4 or 5 seasons with their consistency, collected more hardware than any other Canuck and got us as close to a Cup as anyone else in the franchise's history has.

They are simply the best Canucks, and the face of this franchise. Say what you want about Bure's skill level being much higher than the twins (goal scoring that is, not passing, defence or powerplays), the twins combined their skill with pure consistency, toughness and durability.

For those who think Linden was a better Canuck, he simply had a different leadership style to Henrik but both leaders got us just as close to a Cup, and Linden did so without the biggest, most physical monster to play in the NHL in his face as well as a goalie who had to put up record numbers to stop us.

The twins are the best players to put on a Canuck uniform in every sense of the game, everything from leadership to community work to skill level to point production to consistency to awards and achievements. Simply the best and we're lucky to be hockey fans during the Sedin era.

what makes a 'best' player? A best player has to have a combination of skill, heart, love of the game, great character, commitment, great off-ice (community) guy, etc. The Sedins have all of this. Every year they work hard on and off the ice to improve, they have done loads for the community (1.5m to children's hospital), they love the game. When some said they wouldn't cut it in the NHL they worked harder and proved them wrong, some even said they aren't worthy on the top line. The Sedins have everything that you could want from a NHL player, they are like Linden but maybe with a bit more skill - Not at all saying they are better, but as off-ice guys go both Linden and the Sedins are tied with that.

As long as both are healthy even a mediocre season will have them take the no. 1 and 2 spots in all-time scoring by a Canuck. My guess is that Henrik will take no. 1 within about 10-15 games. Daniel should overcome Naslund by around the all-star game (barring injuries). By seasons end both Henrik (53 points down) and Daniel (82 points down) should be the first Canucks players to ever reach the 800 point plateau.

Interestingly, Henrik (+181), Daniel (+160), and Burrows (+116) are the only three players in Canuck history to have a +/- higher than 100. Salo is next on the list with +78.

• 5 months later...

Archived