The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Blazers thread [WHL]

pwnstar

Stop living in the past, man. Live in the now!

Have either fo you guys been to games in PG? I have not, and I am wondering where the best place to sit is, I know they don't get many people out to the games, but have heard that is because they are bad. When they do well the arena becomes quite full.

never been to PG lol, sorry can't help you

Have either fo you guys been to games in PG? I have not, and I am wondering where the best place to sit is, I know they don't get many people out to the games, but have heard that is because they are bad. When they do well the arena becomes quite full.

It seats approximately 100-200 more than the ISC in Kamloops, I'm assuming as in any arena sitting in the middle of the bowl between either of the blue lines is where you'll get the best views. Although, sitting directly behind the opponents' bench is always a load of fun :P

Anyone else miss the Iginla days.....man.... those were good

Unfortunately, I too was not old enough to enjoy the dynasty of the '90s...but my grandparents and both of my uncles were (still are) season ticket holders back then, and I've heard it was unbelievable.

I have a Legends t-shirt autographed by Iginla, Sydor, Niedermayer, Doan, Tucker, Huska, Reaugh and Nash...unbelievable players, hard to believe they ALL played on the team. As well as all of the other Recchi's, Hawgood's, Brown's etc..

Unfortunately, I too was not old enough to enjoy the dynasty of the '90s...but my grandparents and both of my uncles were (still are) season ticket holders back then, and I've heard it was unbelievable.

I have a Legends t-shirt autographed by Iginla, Sydor, Niedermayer, Doan, Tucker, Huska, Reaugh and Nash...unbelievable players, hard to believe they ALL played on the team. As well as all of the other Recchi's, Hawgood's, Brown's etc..

So much good paraphernalia from around this era. I have a stick signed by the 94' - 95 team!

I was there. I went to school with some of these guys as well at KSS and NorKam.

They were top notch people too.

The thing people never talk about with the Blazers was how tough they were. They were amoung the toughest teams, laiden with heart and character. Growing up with this, and the old Canucks teams, has created this mean old bastard I am known as today on CDC.

The Sedin era Canucks as well as the modern smurfish Blazers both make me shake my head in reference. It is what it is.

The old Blazers were too powefull and scary to stop. Not so much anymore, but they have a ton of puck luck. Its hard not to cheer for the underdog that has been the Blazers for the past decade or more. Last year was entertaining, but you just knew they were too damn small, like the Canucks, to do any damage in the playoffs. Still, you cheer until you lose your voice.

Great city, great hockey town, but the storied Blazers are no closer this year than say, the last 10, in standing a chance at the final dance. They lack the muscle to push through the wall. Please Bonner, please learn this. Then tell Gillis.

I was there. I went to school with some of these guys as well at KSS and NorKam.

They were top notch people too.

The thing people never talk about with the Blazers was how tough they were. They were amoung the toughest teams, laiden with heart and character. Growing up with this, and the old Canucks teams, has created this mean old bastard I am known as today on CDC.

The Sedin era Canucks as well as the modern smurfish Blazers both make me shake my head in reference. It is what it is.

The old Blazers were too powefull and scary to stop. Not so much anymore, but they have a ton of puck luck. Its hard not to cheer for the underdog that has been the Blazers for the past decade or more. Last year was entertaining, but you just knew they were too damn small, like the Canucks, to do any damage in the playoffs. Still, you cheer until you lose your voice.

Great city, great hockey town, but the storied Blazers are no closer this year than say, the last 10, in standing a chance at the final dance. They lack the muscle to push through the wall. Please Bonner, please learn this. Then tell Gillis.

The Blazers of old were something really special. It was a type of domination that is never going to be repeated again, probably not at any level of hockey. The type of players we iced back in the day were of a special breed, and I think it all had to do with our scouting. Sure, we had unbelievable coaches, but it all came down to the players we drafted. I think Guy Charron is the "guy" who can lead this team back to junior hockey supremacy, coach wise (although not on the same level as the 90's), but I think it'll be another year or two - let the young guys develop and grow, I think we're almost there.

574670_10151026093871272_662232262_n.jpg

BLAZERS HOST GIANTS IN PRESEASON GAME TONIGHT

5-Sep-12

The Kamloops Blazers renew acquaintances with the division rival Vancouver Giants tonight in a WHL preseason game. The Blazers are 2-0-0-0 in the preseason coming off a home-and-home series win over the Victoria Royals in the first week of the WHL preseason. The Giants are 1-1-0-0 splitting a home-and-home affair with the Kelowna Rockets.

Courtesy of: blazerhockey.com

Blazers top Giants in hard fought, physical battle

After a sloppy, scoreless opening period between the Kamloops Blazers (3-0) and Vancouver Giants (1-2), the match-up had all the signs of being a typical pre-season matchup. Low tempo, lots of neutral zone play, not a lot of shots, and fewer goals. Well, both teams came out flying in the second period and by the time all was said and done, 11 goals had been scored.

The uneventful first period watched the teams trade chances, but neither team could beat their opposing goaltenders, as both Tyler Fuhr and Taran Kozun stopped 10 of 10 heading into the intermission. The teams were also even in penalties, with two apiece.

The game became interesting, and very physical, in the second period. Under two minutes into the period, Anthony Ast received a five minute major and was ejected from the game after a cheap shot elbow to the head of third year Blazer forward Chase Souto. Ast was originally sent to the penalty box, which drew the ire of the 925 fans in the ISC seats. After a slight review, referee Jeff Ingram determined it was a misconduct, and Ast skated to the showers, head down. The Blazers recorded three goals in the period. Two on breakaways, as Cole Ully skated in alone and fired a wrister into the top corner past Fuhr's glove. At about the midway mark, Dylan Willick was sent in alone by Brendan Ranford and buried his first of two on the night. Seconds later, Rob Trzonkowski banged home a rebound and put the Blazers up by three. The Giants got two back, from Ales Kilnar and Cain Franson, but Brendan Ranford scored his first of two on a bang home rebound play. Early in the period, third year defenceman Tyler Hansen caught Marek Tvrdon with his head down and absoloutely clocked him, which brought fans to their feet and had both benches standing. Later in the period, Hansen caught Ales Kilnar, also with his head down, and caught him in the trolley tracks. John Niebrandt tried to engage Hansen, who refused to fight, and instead of defending Niebrandt watched as the Blazers took the puck up ice and put it in the net.

The Giants came within a goal, twice in the third period, but the Blazers kept the pedal to the metal and Brendan Ranford sealed the deal with just under two minutes to go, picking up a loose puck in the slot and snapping it low on Jackson Whistle. Jordan DePape added an empty netter to seal the 7-4 victory, and send the 925 diehard fans home happy.

These two teams will hook up again in Ladner, BC on Friday September 7. Game time is 7pm.

BLAZERS WIN 5-4 OVER GIANTS

7-Sep-12

The Kamloops Blazers improved their WHL preseason record to 4-0-0-0 as the beat the Vancouver Giants 5-4 in overtime on Friday night in Ladner. The Giants held the lead for most of the game and opened the scoring in the first period. John Neibrandt opened the scoring for the Giants at 11:39 of the first period. The Giants built on that lead as Nathan Burns was sent in alone and beat goaltender Cole Cheveldave to make it 2-0. The Blazers cut the lead to 2-1 as Mitch Friesen snapped a shot in on the power play with 20 seconds left in the period. It was the 16-year-old’s first goal of the WHL preseason.

The Blazers seemed to have a bit more jump in the second period but Giants starter Liam Liston was solid in goal. He stopped 18 of 19 shots as 16-year-old Payton Lee replaced him half way through the second period. Lee was sharp early stopping Matt Needham on a breakaway. The Giants turned it up a notch in the last few minutes of the second period. They extended their lead when Riley Kieser banged home a rebound to make it 3-1 Giants going into the third period.

In the third period, the Giants extended their lead as Taylor Makin tipped home a shot from Wes Vannieuwenhuizen to make it 4-1. It looked as though the game was over, but the Blazers chipped away. Cole Ully responded with a goal less than a minute later as Needham stole a puck and fed Ully for his second goal of the preseason. The Blazers made it 4-3 with just under five minutes left as Ully gave a pass to Rob Trzonkowski who scored his second goal of the preseason. The Blazers completed the comeback as Colin Smith tied it up with 56 seconds left in the game as the Blazers had an extra attacker on the ice.

The Blazers were terrific in the overtime. They carried the play and were given a power play with just over 17 seconds left to play. JC Lipon converted a goal as his shot from the top of the circles with 1.8 seconds left gave the Blazers a 5-4 win.

The Blazers finished the game going 2-for-4 on the power play, while the Giants were 0-for-7. Cole Cheveldave earned the win making 32 saves while Payton Lee took the loss stopping 10 of 14 shots.

The Blazers will play one final preseason game as they host the Prince George Cougars on Friday, September 14th at the Interior Savings Centre starting at 7:00pm.

Ahh please don't mention game 6! I had moved to Calgary, and wasn't able to go to the game..I was even planning on calling in sick that day to fly home for the game, and didnt! I REALLY wish I would have :(

But anyways, Blazers are 4-0 in the preseason. It is just preseason, but this team looks stellar.

pretty good pre season. looks like bozon put on some muscle

Glad to hear, I went to a Cougars pre season game vs The oil kings last night, Oil kings were all over them, and without their top line.

Looks like another year of kamloops dominating PG

Glad to hear, I went to a Cougars pre season game vs The oil kings last night, Oil kings were all over them, and without their top line.

Looks like another year of kamloops dominating PG

booooyah, gota get some home tix when the cougz come to the loops

• 2 weeks later...

You guys ready for this season! starts on friday!! Me thinks i'll get one of those new 3rd jerseys, I have always been a fan of the dark blue and white colour scheme.

Going to be a fantastic season opener! Can't buy tickets until Friday evening, so hopefully there will be some left!!!

As for the third jerseys, they look slick...just gorgeous. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

Buckle up, Blazers fans! It's going to be an unreal season! Go Blazers!

Great game tonight, I literally jumped about two feet in the air when Bozon scored in overtime. then threw my hat on the ice about a full minute late when the announcer said it was his third of the night lol. Damn it's nice to have hockey back.

Sucks that both Bell and Cheveldave went down with injury. Hope Chevy's isn't serious, but I'm worried Bell's might be, he was on the ice for quite a while and didn't come back. Also, it was scary to see Smith go down from boarding, glad he got back into the game.

edit: also, was a pretty packed house, only about 400 short of a sellout. though it should have sold out on a home opener when raising a banner

Archived