The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Blazers thread [WHL]

pwnstar

first place woot

edit: can someone tell PG to stop winning games?

Was ready to say "Yeah, top spot in the 'Dub!" but then I looked at the Raiders record...ridiculous!

Cougars are going to be the Minnesota Wild of 2011-2012. Soon as December hits, they'll come back down to earth.

ALSO, how about JC Lipon? The guy is red hot right now!!!

Was ready to say "Yeah, top spot in the 'Dub!" but then I looked at the Raiders record...ridiculous!

Cougars are going to be the Minnesota Wild of 2011-2012. Soon as December hits, they'll come back down to earth.

ALSO, how about JC Lipon? The guy is red hot right now!!!

i really just meant in BC

I have no idea where Prince Albert came from, but I guess there is always a few surprises, especially early on in the season. Edmonton hasn't looked great, but i have a feeling thats a little bit of a championship hangover. Over on another board I'm having a disagreement with someone, I say the Winterhawks will only be good this year because of their weak division, and so far, Im kinda right, They are in first place in the U.S. division, but not playing great.

Anyways, great to get that win last night, now gotta keep the streak going, I think last year we had a 10 game unbeaten streak. If im wrong let me know, I just know it went on for a long time, and during that span Kamloops got to 2nd in the CHL

Blazers Crown Royals

The Kamloops Blazers (6-0-0-1) continued to win as they took down the Victoria Royals (6-3-0-0) 5-2 on home ice Wednesday night.

The reigning WHL and CHL player of the week continued his hot streak as JC Lipon opened the scoring. Brendan Ranford made a great pass to a speedy Lipon who took the puck to the net and put it in to make it 1-0. The Royals outshot the Blazers 9-7 in the period, but Lipon was the lone goal scorer.

The second period was owned by the Blazers as they outshot the Royals 17-0 in the period and scored twice. The Blazers did not extend their lead until late in the period as JC Lipon put a shot on goal and Colin Smith drove to the net and put it home to make it 2-0 Blazers. Brendan Ranford scored a beauty to make it 3-0 with 46 seconds left in the third period. Ranford was patient and ripped a shot passed goaltender Patrik Polivka for his third of the season.

The Royals made a goaltending change in the third period and put in Coleman Vollrath. The Royals immediately turned it up in the third period and scored an early goal. Alex Gogolev set up Jamie Crooks for an easy goal 53 seconds into the period to make it 3-1. The Blazers restored the lead as Tim Bozon snuck a puck under Vollrath from behind the net to make it 4-1. Again, the Royals continued to push back as Taylor Crunk put home a power play marker to make it 4-2. From there, the Blazers added a late goal from Cole Ully and won 5-2.

Defenseman Ryan Rehill had a solid night finishing with his first WHL assist and was +4 on the night. Forward Rob Trzonkowski also had a good night with an assist and a +2 rating.

The Blazers were 0-for-3 on the power play and 5-for-6 on the penalty kill. Goaltender Cole Cheveldave earned his fourth win of the season with 25 saves.

I have no idea where Prince Albert came from, but I guess there is always a few surprises, especially early on in the season. Edmonton hasn't looked great, but i have a feeling thats a little bit of a championship hangover. Over on another board I'm having a disagreement with someone, I say the Winterhawks will only be good this year because of their weak division, and so far, Im kinda right, They are in first place in the U.S. division, but not playing great.

Anyways, great to get that win last night, now gotta keep the streak going, I think last year we had a 10 game unbeaten streak. If im wrong let me know, I just know it went on for a long time, and during that span Kamloops got to 2nd in the CHL

From Jan. 1 to Jan. 21 last year the Blazers went on a 9 game winning streak, followed by a shootout loss to Kelowna. They lost their first game in regulation time in nearly a month after Victoria beat us for the first time. We then went on another 5 game winning streak after that.

From Jan. 1 to Jan. 21 last year the Blazers went on a 9 game winning streak, followed by a shootout loss to Kelowna. They lost their first game in regulation time in nearly a month after Victoria beat us for the first time. We then went on another 5 game winning streak after that.

Woot! Lets try and break that streak this year!

545637_10151054153676272_776927950_n.jpg

Blazers Play Host to Chiefs Tonight at ISC

The Kamloops Blazers (6-0-0-1) welcome the Spokane Chiefs (5-1-0-0) in a Western Conference match up tonight in Kamloops. The Chiefs are coming off a 6-4 win in Kelowna on Wednesday night. Also on Wednesday, the Blazers dispatched the Victoria Royals by a 5-2 count. Kamloops currently holds top spot in the WHL's Western Conference with 13 of 14 points through seven games. The Chiefs are also on a torrid pace to start the year, as they've recorded 10 of 12 possible points through six games. If the Chiefs are to have any chance against the Blazers, they're going to have to find a way to stop the dynamite trio of JC Lipon, Colin Smith, and Tim Bozon. Lipon is currently tied for the league lead in points, sitting at 14 along with Kelowna blueliner Myles Bell. Bozon and Smith each have 12 points, making this the most lethal line in the WHL. On the other end of the ice, the Chiefs boast the leagues current goals leader, in 19 year old Mitch Holmberg. With 9 goals through his first six games this year, Holmberg has been the one steadfast for the Chiefs in an otherwise "shaky" lineup. The Blazers D will add a big body tonight, as newly acquired Sam Grist is set to make his Blazer debut. Grist is no stranger to Spokane, as he played in the US Division with Tri-City before being dealt to the Loops.

The game is shaping up to be a barn burner in Kamloops tonight, as both teams look to continue their dominance. Puck drop is 7pm. Jon Keen will have the pre-game show starting at 6:30pm on RadioNL.

Blazers Topple Chiefs

Blazers' forward JC Lipon continued his hot red hot start to the season, as he scored the games first three goals in the first 8:30 of the game, and assisted on the fourth, to lead the Blazers to a 5-1 victory. Linemate Colin Smith pitched in with three assists and Brendan Ranford had another strong outing finishing with a goal and two assists.

The Blazers started hot as JC Lipon scored goals at 2:51, 4:37 and 8:30 to open the game up for a 3-0 lead. The Chiefs, known as a hard-working team, pushed back but goaltender Cole Cheveldave had a strong night in goal for the Blazers. The Blazers finished the period with the 3-0 lead while being outshot 12-11 in the period.

The Chiefs were the stronger team in the second period. They outshot the Blazers 19-4 and hemmed the Blazers in their zone for long periods of time. Goaltender Cole Cheveldave was on his game making a handful of sensational saves to preserve the lead. Liam Stewart got the Chiefs on the scoreboard as he drove to the net and put one upstairs to make it 3-1 late in the second period.

Despite the poor second period, the Blazers came out strong in the third period and put the game away. Sam Grist, who was playing his first game as a Blazer, missed a shot wide and Cole Ully took the rebound and put home his fifth goal of the season. Brendan Ranford sealed the deal on a tremendous power play goal. JC Lipon fed Colin Smith who gave a great pass to Ranford and he had the wide open net to make it 5-1. The Blazers limited the Chiefs to only six shots in the period and cruised to the win.

Cole Cheveldave was terrific in goal turning aside 36 shots, while Eric Williams stopped 18 for the Chiefs. The Blazers were 2-for-6 on the power play and finished 4-for-4 on the penalty kill.

JC Lipon had another four-point night to add to his WHL scoring lead with 7 goals, 11 assists and 18 points through 8 games. Colin Smith, who finished with three assists, is third in league scoring with 15 points.

The Blazers now hit the road for five games in Alberta starting on Sunday at 3pm/PT in Calgary to face the Hitmen. The Blazers conclude their road trip in Cranbrook against the Kootenay Ice on Sunday, October 20th.

got the Hitmen tomorrow afternoon. Watched a bit of their game with the Oil Kings last night, in between the Lions game and some baseball lol

Looked pretty good, should be a fun game

Yea, they did look good. They have beaten the Oil Kings 3 times now. I have a feeling that, although Calgary is very good, their style of play works very well against Edmonton and makes them look even better than they are.

Out of a possible 10 pts on this upcoming road trip I would love it if we could pull 7pts. Obviously this is gonna be a tough road trip.

Warm Up The Bus – My Take on the Kamloops Blazers: Alberta Road Trip

The thrilling, albeit disappointing, end to the 2011-2012 season left the Kamloops Blazers wondering what could have been. Had they gotten by the WinterHawks, could the Blazers have carried the momentum into the Western Conference Final? The WHL Final? The Memorial Cup? Some questions are better left unanswered, especially the ones consisting of “what-ifs”.

As if the 2011-2012 group wasn’t exciting enough, the ’12-’13 squad is shaping up to be just as good, and just as thrilling. The Blazers have started the season on a red hot pace, going an impressive 7-0-0-1 to start the year. The “Boys in Blue” swept an Opening Weekend home-and-home with the Kelowna Rockets, and split the next weekend in Victoria, the only loss coming via the shootout. After the brief three game stint, the Blazers returned to the Tournament Capital for a four game home stand. After easily discarding the Seattle Thunderbirds and Medicine Hat Tigers, the Blazers faced off against the Victoria Royals for the third meeting this season. The Royals came in as BC Division leaders, and were riding high coming in. They were quickly deflated and left totally flat, as the Blazers scored five times en route to a 5-2 victory. Two nights later enter the Spokane Chiefs, coming off a thrilling 6-4 win in Kelowna on Wednesday, who led the US Division. The Chiefs also came out with cement in their boots and allowed three goals in less than 10 minutes and ended up falling by a 5-1 count. Like all before them, the Chiefs couldn’t handle the Blazers prolific scoring punch and submitted.

As if the wins were not enough, the Blazers boast the WHL’s current point leader, 19 year old JC Lipon. Also in the top six are Lipon’s line mates; Tim Bozon and Colin Smith. Kamloops’ goaltender, Cole Cheveldave, currently sits in 2nd place in GAA, behind former Blazer Cam Lanigan.

The Blazers are now off to Alberta, where they will play five games in just over a week. Another test in the WHL curriculum in which the players have become so accustomed to. Each game day, I will outline my thoughts on the game, including team and player analysis, as well as offer my prediction for the game. I encourage your prediction as well as thoughts in response.

Tomorrow: Kamloops @ Calgary

Archived