The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Blazers thread [WHL]

pwnstar

Warm Up The Bus – My Take on the Kamloops Blazers: Alberta Road Trip

Sunday October 14, 2012: Game #1 – Kamloops @ Calgary

The Blazers kick off the road trip against the only other team in the WHL that has not lost in regulation time. The Hitmen (6-0-0-1) host the Blazers on the third night of a three-in-three weekend, in which the Hitmen have played three games in as many nights. The Blazers, who are practiced in Red Deer on Saturday, will come in relatively well rested.

THE NIGHT BEFORE: The Blazers haven’t played since Friday night, where they beat the Spokane Chiefs by a 5-1 count in Kamloops. The Hitmen are coming off a 4-2 win over Red Deer on Saturday night, in which Cody Sylvester recorded two goals and Brooks Macek added to his team leading point total. Mack Shields got the win between the pipes for the ‘Men.

WHO TO WATCH: As always, the Hitmen are going to have to try to contain the Lipon-Smith-Bozon trio. The three are red hot, and currently sit (1) – (6) – (11) in WHL scoring, respectively. The margin is smaller than it seems, as only five points separates 11th spot from 1st. The Blazers will have to watch out for Brooks Macek, who leads the team in points, and Cody Sylvester, who is the team goal scorer, currently with 7 on the year.

“KEEPING” TIME: Cole Cheveldave will get the start in his hometown. The Blazers sophomore goaltender is near the top of the WHL in every goaltending category. The Hitmen, playing three games in three nights, have a pair of solid goaltenders in Mack Shields and Chris Driedger. Shields is in his first WHL season, and thus far has posted a pair of wins and as many losses, while boasting a 2.50 GAA and a .919 SV %. Driedger is expected to go tonight against the Blazers.

FIRSTS: Blazers F Rob Trzonkowski will make his first trip back to Calgary, where he played last season. The Blazers will play their first game at the Saddledome since the 2010-2011 season. Last year, the Blazers dropped a pair of games at home to the Hitmen. Hitmen F Jake Virtanen scored his first WHL goal against the Blazers last season. Cole Cheveldave is expected to get his first start in his hometown. Last night, the Hitmen finished a game in regulation for the first time in five games. The previous four ended in either OT or a shootout.

MY PREDICTION: The Hitmen will come out hard, as they always do at home, but three games in three nights will prove too much and the Blazers will come out with the win.

Predicted score: KAM 4 CGY 2

WHL84724928.jpg

I tweeted this yesterday and I thought I would share it with you guys too. The Blazers are now the only team in the entire CHL without a regulation loss! and they have the most Goals For and Least Goals Against in the WHL.

They are lookin great this year. I believe it'll be EDM and Kamloops in the WHL final. On a side note, what happened to Prince Albert? huge streak, then lost a game, then lost another 9-0....

I tweeted this yesterday and I thought I would share it with you guys too. The Blazers are now the only team in the entire CHL without a regulation loss! and they have the most Goals For and Least Goals Against in the WHL.

They are lookin great this year. I believe it'll be EDM and Kamloops in the WHL final. On a side note, what happened to Prince Albert? huge streak, then lost a game, then lost another 9-0....

I want to agree with you, Edmonton is way too good not to be considered...but I'm just worried about a potential "hangover"...usually in the Dub any playoff hangover doesn't really set in until mid-late November, early December...I'm leary of the Oil Kings for that reason...if not Edmonton, Calgary and even PA look like they could push.

In any event, Blazers are almost a shoe-in for WHL final, if they keep playing like this!

JC gets player of the week, again!

CALGARY, AB. - The Western Hockey League announced today that Kamloops Blazers’ forward JC Lipon is the Denny’s WHL Player of the Week for the second straight week.

Lipon collected 10 points, scoring six goals and four assists to go with a +3 rating, in three games over the past week helping the Blazers to a 3-0-0-0 record.

On Wednesday, October 10, the Blazers hosted B.C. Division rivals the Victoria Royals at the Interior Savings Centre in Kamloops. Lipon scored one goal and one assist in the Blazers’ 5-2 victoria over the Royals. On Friday, October 12, the Spokane Chiefs were in Kamloops to face the Blazers. Lipon scored his first career hat-trick, finding the net three times, he also added one assist and was named the game’s 1st Star in the Blazers 5-1 win over the Chiefs. On Sunday, October 14, the Blazers were in Calgary to face the Hitmen in the first game of a five game road trip through the Central Division. Lipon scored two goals, two assists and was again named the game’s 1st Star in the Blazers 5-2 triumph over the Hitmen.

Lipon currently sits 1st among all WHL Scorers with 22 points (nine goals, 13 assists) in nine games played thus far this season. The Blazers currently sit first in the WHL B.C. Division and have yet to experience a regulation loss with a 8-0-0-1 record for 17 points.

A 19-year-old from Regina, SK, Lipon is in his fourth full season with the Kamloops Blazers. Originally a list player by the Blazers, Lipon has gone on to appear in 196 career WHL games, gathering 34 goals, 87 assists for a total of 121 points.

The WHL has also nominated Mac Carruth of the Portland Winterhawks for the CHL Goaltender of the Week Award. Carruth posted a 2-0-0-0 record this past week, stopping 52 of 54 shots faced for a 0.963 save-percentage and 1.00 goals-against average. Carruth, a 20-year-old from Shorewood, MN, returned to the Winterhawks during their WHL East Division road swing and led his Club to a 4-0 shut-out victory over the Saskatoon Blades and a 5-2 win over the Prince Albert Raiders.

Denny’s WHL Player of the Week

Oct. 8 – Oct. 14: JC Lipon, Kamloops Blazers

Oct. 1 – Oct. 7: JC Lipon, Kamloops Blazers

Sept. 24 – Sept. 30: Hunter Shinkaruk, Medicine Hat Tigers

Sept. 20 – Sept. 23: Nicolas Petan, Portland Winterhawks

does anyone know when and if the blazers will be on sportsnets "friday night hockey"?

there pwnin the dub, and all i see is the giants and oil kings on :bored:

It is super frustrating. They like to stay in big markets, not only for viewership, but because they have major offices closer.

It is super frustrating. They like to stay in big markets, not only for viewership, but because they have major offices closer.

Considering the Giants are sitting in the basement and the Oil Kings have only had one good year, you'd think they would look at the Blazers and think this is a team people are going to want to watch. Without the NHL, you'd think they'd want to capitalize on the best junior teams.

I'm REALLY surprised they aren't broadcasting the game in Edmonton this week.

Considering the Giants are sitting in the basement and the Oil Kings have only had one good year, you'd think they would look at the Blazers and think this is a team people are going to want to watch. Without the NHL, you'd think they'd want to capitalize on the best junior teams.

I'm REALLY surprised they aren't broadcasting the game in Edmonton this week.

Yea, I totally agree. Last week they added some games to the CHL on Sportsnet sched, and I saw the Giants on there, sucks cause well, they suck.

Archived