The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Blazers thread [WHL]

pwnstar

pic11.jpgWarm Up The Bus – My Take on the Kamloops Blazers: Alberta Road Trip

Wednesday October 17, 2012: Game #3 – Kamloops @ Edmonton

Game number three of the five game Alberta trip sees the Blazertrain pull into the City of Champions for a mid-week matchup with the defending WHL Champion Edmonton Oil Kings.

THE NIGHT BEFORE: The name “Blazers” fits the team well so far this season, as the team is “Blazing hot” to start the campaign. The Blazertrain rolled through Red Deer last night, blanking the hapless Rebels by a 4-0 count. The trio of JC Lipon, Colin Smith, and Tim Bozon were deadly as always, combining for seven points on the night. Lipon continues to lead the WHL, and as of game time, the CHL in points with 24. Colin Smith sits second in the WHL with 21. The Oil Kings haven’t played since Saturday night, where they were also involved in a shutout. The outcome, however, was not in Edmonton’s favor. The Oil dropped a defensive 1-0 game to the Kootenay Ice, at the Cranbrook RecPlex.

WHO TO WATCH: The record is as broken as it can get, as the Oil Kings will have to watch out for the “Titanium Trio” of, you guessed it, Lipon – Smith – Bozon. We’ll throw Brendan Ranford in as well, just to jazz things up a bit. The Blazers D will have to look out for another top 10 pick from this past summers NHL Draft, as Griffin Reinhart will patrol the blue line for Edmonton. The Blazers will also have to try and keep Michael St.Croix in check, as well as keep an eye on speedy youngster Curtis Lazar.

“KEEPING” TIME: Cole Cheveldave will be back in the Blazer net after getting last night off to rest for tonight. Cheveldave is 6-0 with a 1.65 GAA and a .936 SV % through seven starts. Cheveldave has never started a game in Edmonton until tonight. The Oil Kings will ice world junior hopeful Laurent Broissoit between the pipes tonight. Brossoit has posted a 2.94 GAA and a .896 SV % through seven games this season. Cheveldave and Brossoit are two of the WHL’s best goaltenders.

FIRSTS: This is the first meeting of the season between the two clubs. After two games in Kamloops vs. Edmonton last season, hometown boy Colin Smith will play his first game in front of family and friends since the 2010-2011 season. Cole Cheveldave will make his first WHL start in Edmonton tonight. After Saturdays 1-0 loss to Kootenay, the Oil Kings were shut out for the first time in 112 games. A different Blazer has scored the GWG in each of the Blazers' 10 games this season. Tonight could be the first time a duplicate GWG scorer is named.

MY PREDICTION: With a rested Cole Cheveldave, the Blazers will stand tall in goal and rely on some secondary scoring for a change, and the Oil Kings will drop their third straight.

Predicted score: KAM 3 EDM 1

Is anyone else watching the Everett vs. Swift Current game on Shaw?

Swift Current = Jon Keen's former team. Good game so far, the Swift Current Iplex looks really small

I'm watching the Blazers on WHL Live, but the everett game is on in the background.

Lipon just got 10 for not tying down and fighting smh

edit: that fight gives him the Gordie Howe hat trick lol

i am also watching on WHL live. Blazers will be in tough here, We played last night and they are rested. I predict, Blazers come out hard, draw a penalty, score on the Power Play, then the fatigue will really set in and HANGGGG ONNN.

That was unbelievable! Ranford and Smith, the EDM boys get it done in the SO! Lipon, another three points...he should already be a candidate for WHL Player of the Week #threepeat #Liptober

Cheveldave kept us in this one, in my honest opinion.

Next W.U.T.B Friday before Lethbridge.

Blazers are rolling along. Hate to say this but it looks like we could run the table on this trip. Next two games are against the bottom 2 teams in the EAST. There are no easy games but it's looking good. When I looked at the road trip, I figured they would have lost one of those first 3 games. Something i am learning here, never doubt the BLAZERS!

Man Blazers are great this year. I was excepting them to be at the top of the BC division this year, maybe even the west...but only 1 SO loss everything else perfect thus far in. Wow. Enjoy the ride Blazer fans these cycles come around every 5-10 years or so!

Also I don't think you guys can lose even if you try. Not a great effort vs. the Oil Kings (maybe the only poor effort this season?) yet still pull out the win.

Man Blazers are great this year. I was excepting them to be at the top of the BC division this year, maybe even the west...but only 1 SO loss everything else perfect thus far in. Wow. Enjoy the ride Blazer fans these cycles come around every 5-10 years or so!

Also I don't think you guys can lose even if you try. Not a great effort vs. the Oil Kings (maybe the only poor effort this season?) yet still pull out the win.

I dunno man, the effort vs. Edmonton was pretty good considering it was the 3rd game in 4 nights, and we came back shorthanded.

Archived