Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Try Again

[Trade] - Canucks- Florida

559 posts in this topic

This is a potential to be a good trade, but I have some reservations.

1. He's making too much money for my liking. Not so much the cap aspect as the we'd like to re-sign our players in the next few years aspect. Unless Booth absolutely DOMINATES, it's easy to point to his contract as a reason for our #6-9 players to ask for more money.

2. The injury thing isn't as big of deal to me. We didn't trade away our future by any means so if he's a complete bust, we didn't give up anything.

3. This leads back to his contract again. If he's a bust, we're going to have a hard time moving him and that contract is going to way him down. People claim Luongo is untradeable (which is false), this contract would actually require a Kotalik-like trade.

Pluses:

1. Obvious stuff: good player, good hands, potential for re-ignition of chemistry with Kesler, speed, young, 3 years on contract if he catches on fire.

2. Canucks gave up minimal pieces of the team to get him and they got a 3rd rounder to boot. It's just going to cost the Aquilinis a few mill to pay off Reinprecht. To be honest, I don't think losing Samuelsson in the dressing room is a big deal either. He seems like he could be a bit of a cantankerous ass, so I doubt he's Mr Popular.

3. Sturm will get a chance to play. You hate to see a good player get screwed up with injury and fade into obscurity without a chance for redemption. Sturm can transition into a retirement home in Florida while potting double digit goals this year.

Sorry, i was wrong, he's 26. still young and better faster than Samuelsson

He scored 23 goals last year but he was slowing falling out of top 6 and demoted to 4th line minutes.. , lots of Florida fans are saying he's not the same since his injury. Stats isn't everything, Samuelsson had 50 pts last year and so what, he is not good enough this year, that's it. Of course if he scores 23 (hopefully more) again I would be happy.

I recall in the not too distant past where a chunk of CDC was up in arms after the Canucks signed Mason Raymond to a 2 year, $2.55m per year contract following a 25g, 28a, 53pt season.

Fast forward 1.5 years and people are ecstatic that the Canucks just traded for a very similiar player (speed, skill, 25-26ish), with a career high of 31g, 29a, 60pt season who is locked in for the next 4 years at $4.25m.

The trade is very simple to understand. Florida (Tallon) traded an inherited long term, high dollar, contract which he felt wasn't justified for 2 players with similiar numbers and expiring contacts. The exchange of the 3rd round pick was compensation to Vancouver for picking up a $2m minor league salary, which Florida doesn't have the luxury of eating due to their economic situation.

For those that think the Canucks won the trade outright, you need to look at the bigger picture. Tallon wants to build the team his way and gave himself more financial flexibility come July 1, 2012. I'd also hazard to guess that this pretty much solidifies Vancouvers core for the next while (Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Booth, Luongo, Hamhuis, Ballard, Bieksa, Hansen). I can't forsee too many major moves in the next while as the Canucks will need to resign Burrows and Edler, both to raises, in the next year.

Many panther fans are saying Booth will never be the same player that he was 2 years ago. Time will tell if we've won this trade.

Here's my evaluation of this Booth trade:

To Florida:

Marco Sturm

Mikael Samuelsson

To Van:

David Booth

Steve Reinprecht

3rd Round Pick (Van; 2013)

On Florida's end:

Purely a salary (not cap hit for this year) dump. They get rid of a contract they no longer want to commit to in Booth. They also get rid of Reinprecht, who is currently in the AHL and soaking 2m a year out of their franchise for no real reason.

In exchange, they receive 2 veteran forwards who may help the youngsters, and may bring them close to at least making the play-offs. In addition, they have contracts that they do not have to commit to in the future.

On Vancouver's end"

Our cap hit goes down by under 1 million, and yet we receive the speedy, big and tough 2nd liner we've been in need of for the past several seasons. Our secondary scoring increases, and our powerplay options open up. Also gives us another potential player to throw out there with the Sedins for a shift after a penalty kill. With the Salary Cap likely going up again, as it tends to do each year, I really have no problem with the contract unless Booth thoroughly busts (doubtful).

We also get Steve Reinprecht, currently playing in the AHL. He would make a good veteran presence on the Wolves, and is a potential call-up for the play-offs. He requires re-entry waivers to be called up, but if he is called up when the play-offs start, there is little-to-no point in other teams claiming him.

As for the 3rd round pick, the significance here is that it is our own 3rd round pick, which we gave Florida for Higgins. That being said, it is not a high 3rd pick. Rather, it being our own pick for 2013, that means that after this coming July 1st, we may send offer-sheets that involve that pick.

If someone proposed this, it would have caused a forum crash :P

This is a potential to be a good trade, but I have some reservations.

1. He's making too much money for my liking. Not so much the cap aspect as the we'd like to re-sign our players in the next few years aspect. Unless Booth absolutely DOMINATES, it's easy to point to his contract as a reason for our #6-9 players to ask for more money.

3. This leads back to his contract again. If he's a bust, we're going to have a hard time moving him and that contract is going to way him down. People claim Luongo is untradeable (which is false), this contract would actually require a Kotalik-like trade.

Booth plays alot like Kesler, always goes in a straight line and hes fast. Good defensively and blocks shots, hard worker.

Him and Kesler would be off the hizzy, fo shizzy

After coming back from his injury he put up 26 points (13 goals) in his first 39 games.

That's pace for (27 goals) 55 points over 82 games playing on a pretty bad team.

That makes me think that his 'softness' and weak defensive play has more to do with playing on a hopeless team in a horrible hockey market than his head injury.

But the thing that worries me even more is that the only games of 'significance' he's ever played.. his stats haven't been that great, for example:

4 points in 8 games at the u18 WJC.

1 point in 7 games at the World Cup

2 points in 6 games (0 goals) for Rochester in the AHL playoffs.

I really hope that playing with Kesler helps Booth take it to the next level. He's still young and he has all the tools to be a great winger.

obviously he'd been there for so long , had alot of friends

sounds like florida did him dirty too

he wont be crying when he see's how good the canucks organization treats its players

Huh.... so....

Booth - Kesler - Higgins (his off wing)

or

Higgins - Kesler - Booth (his off wing)

or

Booth - Kesler - Hodgson

I actually think it will work out in the long run with Cody on second. That is after a little time getting used to the RW on the third. Higgins works really hard and is gritty but I think Offensively our 2nd line for the next 5 years is Booth - Kesler - Hodgson

Did you just use the

tags to quote someone? 

whoops lol

i had the link posted before i added the reply to his statement :/