#301 mrsoshicanuck

mrsoshicanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:47 PM

Posted Image

Wow, just wow Dale Tallon... You must really want your own old team to get the Stanley Cup more than Florida... This guys sure is a Canucks at heart...! Posted Image

Dale Tallon: Heart of a Canuck.
[img]GIFSoup[img]

#302 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

Miller-You know I trust your opinion so...

First...Thoughts on this deal?

Second...Your thoughts on Turris? I think I'd rather have a guy that has proven he can do it at this level than a guy who doesn't play the wing and hasn't proven squat at the NHL level.

Let's hear it.

My thoughts on Booth are that he was destined for stardom until Richards decapitated him. He doesn't drive as recklessly as he once did, which is what made him such a dangerous scorer, but he could very well regain that fearlessness playing with a guy like Kesler because Kes exudes that aura every shift and it's infectious. Booth is a North-South player that shoots a ton (so we won't be lacking Samuelsson's SOGs) and he likes to hit which fits tremendously well with Kesler's style. He's fast enough to keep up with Kesler and he can receive passes on the backhand at top speed so he should fit quite nicely with Higgins on the LW as well. I'll miss Samuelsson's playoff poise this postseason but we just played 7 games in the Cup finals so our entire core has the experience now. Losing Sturm obviously doesn't hurt at all because he's clearly never gonna be the same, even though I thought he looked much better vs Nashville, and we get younger with Booth. I was a fan of the low risk Sturm signing because as we just witnessed, it was very low risk since he was easily moved.

As for Turris, the kid is a top-3 talent that made it tough to choose between him & JVR. I'm not sure he'd be ready to step into our lineup this season but if we acquire him but don't sign him right away (before Dec 1st) he can be loaned to the AHL AFAIK and he'd weigh into our future plans. The kid hasn't been developed properly but it's still early enough to right that ship, imo, and getting these types of talents is almost impossible so I'd be all for it provided it's for the right price.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#303 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

Point taken, although neither of those two are signed for the next four years with a limited no trade clause that kicks in this off season.

I agree there is risk the Canucks are taking on. But it's well worth the reward if he turns into Kesler's missing power forward compliment.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#304 vannuxforlife

vannuxforlife

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,332 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

Holy hell this is awesome I didn't believe it when I saw it...

But in honor of Samuelsson I will post this one more time for fun

Samuelsson eh

#305 The Architect

The Architect

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

Gah I dont actually know what to think anymore...

he has 1 point in 6 games and he is a -6.

Someone calm me the F98K down. I mean hes an upgrade over sammy (due to age) and sturm(due to being a crap**y player) no matter what...But is he really the premier forward that we've been looking for?
Sig too big.

THANK YOU P R O L I F I C for the incredible signature!

#306 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

Only thing I don't like is that it looks like Hodgson got the short end of the stick.

#307 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

Wouldn't it be contradicting to hold it against him for not scoring 50 points that season while also mentioning that he only played 28 games?

I know why it "slipped your mind" and you may be able to fool some that way, but not eveyone.

I'm really sorry.

#308 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,756 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

Any time you can upgrade your team with youth and speed, you do it.

Booth may not be an elite top 6 forward, but he should be a great piece to the puzzle, and compliment Kesler quite well. People may complain about the cap hit and the term, but really with the way contracts are going now, this should be a great deal. Ville Leino got a 4.5 million dollar contract after ONE 50 point season after all. If Booth plays with Kesler, he should reach the 50-60 point level.

As for Samuelsson, I'm sad to see him go, but I think the Canucks have sucked all the value out of him. The reality is, his best days are behind him. Injuries have become a problem, and his speed is not where it needs to be to play the style of hockey this team plays. We should be thankful for his two great 50+ point seasons, but Gillis is smart to get something for him while he can.

Sturm may very well have been a good player for us, but the risk of re-injury with him is too great. This team can't afford to sit around and wonder if he's going to regain his old form, and 2.5 million is too much to pay a guy to sit in the press box. And to me, it was always apparent that he was going to be nothing more than a fill in player until Raymond returned. So long Sturm, we hardly knew ye. Good luck in Florida.

Can't wait to see what Kesler and Booth can do together. I hope a change of scenery will do Booth wonders.

List of ex Panthers:

Luongo
Ballard
Higgins
Booth
Oreskovich
Duco
Reinprecht

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#309 Believe-in-blue23

Believe-in-blue23

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

Wow! What a steal! Well done MG!!! :)
Posted Image

Go Canucks Go!

#310 The Mircrowave

The Mircrowave

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

You guys should go to the Panthers website and watch Tallon's interview about the trade. It's lols worthy.

According to Tallon, Booth has a no trade clause kicking in for next season.

Edited by mozartjune, 22 October 2011 - 09:03 PM.

Posted Image

#311 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

Someone calm me the F98K down. I mean hes an upgrade over sammy (due to age) and sturm(due to being a crap**y player) no matter what...But is he really the premier forward that we've been looking for?

How else would we get that premier forward that we've been wanting without giving something up?

Being the GM of a team yearning for the Cup is not an easy job by any means, esp not with today's MAJOR constraints (salary cap, extraordinarily shallow market..). This was a good low risk move in that we didn't give up anything terribly significant, and the fact that Booth has the potential to be exactly what we were looking for, though that remains to be seen.

Posted Image

"If a 6-foot-8 guy who can't skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal."

#312 themonicator

themonicator

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

I am still in awe of this trade. Can't believe we even got a third round pick for this. Great job Gillis! Hope Booth has a nice transition in our second line.
Posted Image

Our Prospects

#313 aca11

aca11

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:07 PM

We need a nick name for Booth. How about Boobie?

#314 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

Booth may not be an elite top 6 forward, but he should be a great piece to the puzzle, and compliment Kesler quite well. People may complain about the cap hit and the term, but really with the way contracts are going now, this should be a great deal. Ville Leino got a 4.5 million dollar contract after ONE 50 point season after all. If Booth plays with Kesler, he should reach the 50-60 point level.

As for Samuelsson, I'm sad to see him go, but I think the Canucks have sucked all the value out of him. The reality is, his best days are behind him. Injuries have become a problem, and his speed is not where it needs to be to play the style of hockey this team plays. We should be thankful for his two great 50+ point seasons, but Gillis is smart to get something for him while he can.

Sturm may very well have been a good player for us, but the risk of re-injury with him is too great. This team can't afford to sit around and wonder if he's going to regain his old form, and 2.5 million is too much to pay a guy to sit in the press box. And to me, it was always apparent that he was going to be nothing more than a fill in player until Raymond returned. So long Sturm, we hardly knew ye. Good luck in Florida.

Can't wait to see what Kesler and Booth can do together. I hope a change of scenery will do Booth wonders.

List of ex Panthers:

Luongo
Ballard
Higgins
Booth
Oreskovich
Duco
Reinprecht

Good post, brah. I like your assessment of all the players involved. One thing that I had discounted, but have been convinced of by a couple thoughtful posts in this thread (including this one I've quoted), is the importance of the addition of Booth's speed and the subtraction of Samuelsson's sloth. While we do have a number of speedy wingers, we didn't before have one with the skillset that Booth has. Kesler has had speedy wingers to play with, but now he's got a speedy, skilled winger to play with, and one with enough size to play around the net.

Some questions about Booth (I know little about him):

Does he back-check/play well in his own zone?
Does he go to the net?
Is he dangerous on the rush?

If he embodies those qualities, he should be a very good fit with Kesler.

Edited by Mookie Wilson, 22 October 2011 - 09:10 PM.

#315 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

We need a nick name for Booth. How about Boobie?

Judging by the comments of some of the female posters here, how about "Kissing"?

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#316 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Once again, Florida is our farm team...

#317 Zing!

Zing!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

Judging by the comments of some of the female posters here, how about "Kissing"?

regards,
G.

Isn't that Higgins?

#318 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

To everyone thats missing Samuelsson:

We can always call him up from our second "farm team" (Florida) if needed...

Edited by monkeydluffy, 22 October 2011 - 09:13 PM.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#319 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

Just imagine a 2nd line of a healthy Raymond - Kesler - Booth.

If those three are playing to their abilities, that is 100 goals from you second line!

Not to mention insane speed.

#320 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

Does he go to the net?

I made this post, posting a few videos of his goals from last year. In those videos, it shows he uses his speed effectively, is good on the rush, will drive the net and is good for a shootout/penalty shot situation (could help our scoring struggles in SO's).

http://forum.canucks...st__p__10096797

It's only a few videos, but it does give you an idea of what he can do, and is capable of.

vykJJ.jpgk5COD.jpgxd8CQ.jpg

#321 Original72

Original72

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

List of ex Panthers:

Luongo
Ballard
Higgins
Booth
Oreskovich
Duco
Reinprecht

PLEASE... No more trades with Florida or we may end up being as good as them some year!
---------
o72c

#322 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

Good post, brah. I like your assessment of all the players involved. One thing that I had discounted, but have been convinced of by a couple thoughtful posts in this thread (including this one I've quoted), is the importance of the addition of Booth's speed and the subtraction of Samuelsson's sloth. While we do have a number of speedy wingers, we didn't before have one with the skillset that Booth has. Kesler has had speedy wingers to play with, but now he's got a speedy, skilled winger to play with, and one with enough size to play around the net.

Does he go to the net?

Not entirely true. If you're looking for a sick balance like that, BURROWS is amazing at it - definitely better than Booth. Remember when AV put him with Kesler in Games 6 and 7 against Chicago? This guy has unbelievable talent.

Of course, now that we have Booth, you're right in that account. We can have a winger for Kesler that's speedy and skilled .. but this time, you don't have to take away from the Sedin line for Kes to have that.

Posted Image

"If a 6-foot-8 guy who can't skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal."

#323 BZRK

BZRK

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

http://hfboards.com/...d.php?t=1011717

We should have asked for Hodgson and a1st

I was like:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

DARRENHELM

Posted Image

marinated.pea

#324 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,756 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

Does he go to the net?

His forechecking ability is his greatest asset along with his speed. Some Florida fans say he's gotten soft after the devastating Richards hit, but I think he just wanted to play a full season last year without injury in order to get his career back on track.

Playing for AV, and alongside Kesler will force Booth to play his hard nosed game again. As for his defensive game, I believe it's okay from what I've read, but it's not his strongest asset. He's more of a goal scorer/forechecker than a two-way player.

He definitely is not afraid to park right in front of the net and pop in rebounds. Something that everyone has been calling for Raymond to do more of. He also has no problem using his speed and driving the net, that's basically his game. He uses his speed to drive to the net and shoot, or pick up rebounds.

He's not much of a passer from what I've been able to dig up, so either Higgins or Hodgson will have to be the setup guy for Kesler and Booth since they both like to shoot.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#325 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

Not entirely true. If you're looking for a sick balance like that, BURROWS is amazing at it - definitely better than Booth. Remember when AV put him with Kesler in Games 6 and 7 against Chicago? This guy has unbelievable talent.

Of course, now that we have Booth, you're right in that account. We can have a winger for Kesler that's speedy and skilled .. but this time, you don't have to take away from the Sedin line for Kes to have that.

I would expect that both Kesler and Booth are actually faster than Burr. But, man, you're right. I love watching Kes and Burr play together. They're an exciting duo. They're both great on the rush.

Your post made me consider something: this trade probably makes it less likely for Burr and Kes to play together in the foreseeable future. Samuelsson was always the next guy in line to play with the Sedins. Who will that be now? Does Hansen elevate his game and get a shot? Does Hodgson get some time there? How about Higgins?

Just a minor point - because Burr is obviously excellent with the Sedins.

#326 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

Another solid move by Gillis using his Jedi mind tricks over Florida.

#327 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

His forechecking ability is his greatest asset along with his speed. Some Florida fans say he's gotten soft after the devastating Richards hit, but I think he just wanted to play a full season last year without injury in order to get his career back on track.

Playing for AV, and alongside Kesler will force Booth to play his hard nosed game again. As for his defensive game, I believe it's okay from what I've read, but it's not his strongest asset. He's more of a goal scorer/forechecker than a two-way player.

He definitely is not afraid to park right in front of the net and pop in rebounds. Something that everyone has been calling for Raymond to do more of. He also has no problem using his speed and driving the net, that's basically his game. He uses his speed to drive to the net and shoot, or pick up rebounds.

He's not much of a passer from what I've been able to dig up, so either Higgins or Hodgson will have to be the setup guy for Kesler and Booth since they both like to shoot.

That makes me think that Hodgson might be a good fit there.

Although Higgins has played himself into the top-6, he would look great on our 3rd line.

Your assessment is encouraging.

#328 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

daniel and henrik Booth and Kesler two deadly combo with alternting wingers on the right

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 22 October 2011 - 09:26 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#329 micgao

micgao

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

Why do you judge him based on 6 games instead of say last season where he played 82 games? Wouldn't that be more accurate? Oh wait... what am I thinking, this is CDC, people's opinion on wether a player is a god or a plug is based the latest few games instead of looking at the big picture.
Posted Image

#330 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

4.) Samuelsson and Sturm both have contracts that run out after this year. What does this mean? Well, if they suck, then the Panthers don't have to worry about them being around for another year. If they do well, they may be shopped at the trade deadline to a team which needs a veteran forward. Depending upon the desperation of the other GM, Tallon could get back a couple of decent picks for these guys.

This doesn't make sense.

Tallon is brain dead. If Samuelsson and Sturm suck, they won't be re-signed, and the Florida GM will have given away Booth for nothing. If they do well, and Tallon wants to keep them, he'll have to decide whether he wants to commit significant $$ to fragile players in their mid 30s on a team which is supposedly building for the long term. (Playoff bubble teams aren't going to be giving away significant assets for Samuelsson at the deadline, and Sturm will fetch nothing.) No way can Tallon justify this than anything other than a salary dump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.