#212 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

POPULAR

Not many people seem to realize the risk involved in this deal. Booth is not a slam dunk to be the top 6 guy that we need. Samuelsson has had back-to-back 50 point seasons. Booth has a total of 56 points of the last two years (albeit he played only 26 games in '09/'10). And so far this year he has only 1 point and is a -6 in 6 games. Furthermore, there's obviously risk given Booth's hefty contract - 4.25M per until 2015. Right now, he is overpaid. He needs to pick up his game to make the deal a success.

However, I am optimistic. I'm cautiously optimistic. Despite his production, Samuelsson has been inconsistent. And he hasn't looked good to start this year. Furthermore, he's pretty old and likely would not have been back next year anyhow. So we traded two oldies for a young, potential star. In the end, we may have gotten what we wanted while only giving up superfluous assets. The deal could be a huge success, and I'm hopeful.

#213 Fanuck

Fanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:19 PM

This might as well be the David Booth fan-club thread, so I realize this won't be popular but....while I think Booth is an upgrade from Samuelsson/Sturm, I think for his salary he is overpaid, a lot. His limited NTC contract makes 8 of those for this team beyond this season in some form or another. He had one 31-goal season (with 60pts total), and is averaging about 0.5pts/game in his career (significantly less than that without that 60pt season).

Again, I think it's an upgrade over Samuelsson/Sturm, but Booth is overpaid IMO. I don't see enough quality ice time to go around between Sedin,Sedin/Burrows/Kesler/Higgins(who's playing superbly btw) for him to reach 30 goals again. And 4.25 million is a lot to pay a guy to get 20 something goals/season with a NTC. As others have said, I suppose this means Raymond's time is over here unfortunately.

#214 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

ZOMG gillis-gasm!!! hopefully his concussion problems are behind him, and i hope this doesn't mean mace isn't coming back this year :( Maybe reinprecht will impress and fill in for the forth line.This is what i want:

sedins-burrows
booth-kesler-hodgson
higgins-malholtra-hansen
volpatti-lapierre-weise/bitz

On deadline day im pretty sure we will ba able to acquire either a bonafide d man star(weber) , or a solid forth line forward(kopecky, from the panthers :D)
I'm daydreaming but if it was booth and kopecky and a 3rd for sammy, sturm, and a 2nd rounder i would crap myself with awe.

How about Luongo + Hodgson for Kovalchuk and a 3rd round pick?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kovalchuk
Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen
Volpatti-Lapierre-Weise

:rolleyes:

Edited by WeatherWise, 22 October 2011 - 07:21 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#215 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

Trade raped again? lolololol
Posted Image

#216 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

This was pretty funny.

Edited by p r o l i f i c, 22 October 2011 - 07:26 PM.

Posted Image

#217 The Architect

The Architect

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

This is what went through my mind:

1. BOOTH!

2. Samuelson Leaving:(

3. BOOTTTHHH!

4. Booth has a concussion history and is struggling a little

5. BOOOOTH!
Sig too big.

THANK YOU P R O L I F I C for the incredible signature!

#218 2009cupchamps

2009cupchamps

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

The only Canuck that doesn't like this trade is Hodgson

Why would Hodgson not like this trade.
We bring in another LW, while Hodgson is playing RW. With Sammy gone a RW, this decreases competition for RW position. Hansen and Hodgson. Unless they convert either Higgins or Booth to RW Hodgson is playing top 9 either way all season. Higgins will be the one being bumped down if Booth plays up to his potential.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Hodgson
Higgins-Malholtra-Hansen (which we know has excellent chemistry)
Pinzotto-Lappierre-Volpatti/Bitz/Ebbett/Weise

Edited by 2009cupchamps, 22 October 2011 - 07:28 PM.

#219 Fanuck

Fanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

The only Canuck that doesn't like this trade is Hodgson

So I guess Raymond is liking it too eh?

#220 canuckluv7

canuckluv7

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

Yankee line!
"I remember telling my friends that one day I'm going to bring the Stanley Cup to Vancouver." - Brendan Morrison

#221 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

MG is god

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#222 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

I like how Chicago is getting all of the soft Rejects from Florida.

While we're getting all of the Gems.

Dale Tallon isn't happy about Bowman stealing his glory.

Subbancopy.jpg

#223 Sully2Cool

Sully2Cool

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

Awesome and Sweet Trade by MG and the Canucks.
Posted Image

#224 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

POPULAR

What did the Canuck's get in Booth:

1.) Younger.

2.) They gained some cap space ($500,000). Reinprecht likely won't see Vancouver unless it's as a playoff call-up.

3.) A guy who *has been* a good point producer. Hopefully, he will continue to do so. He also has a history of being poor in the +/- column. Perhaps it was merely the system, the team and poor coaching that got him to -31 last season.

4.) Reportedly is a friend of Kesler which should make his transition into the Canucks' 2nd line easier for all considered.

5.) If he stays healthy, and produces points, he is locked up at a good price (which could be a great price), for another three seasons.

6.) If Booth plays poorly, he could find himself moved to another team by the trade deadline, and likely for more than what the Canucks had to give up to get him. Reinprecht could also be trade bait at the deadline for a team looking for a bit of depth and low commitment in the future.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#225 The Architect

The Architect

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

Hmmm I really hope this works out. Lets see if Mr. Booth can get back on track here. If he does...Then WOW..

Sedin
Sedin
Burrows
Higgins
Kesler
Booth
Raymond
Sig too big.

THANK YOU P R O L I F I C for the incredible signature!

#226 The Listening

The Listening

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Booth, siiiick.
Posted Image
"...For everything under the sun, I owe you one... "
- Lights <3

burrows coughs up the puck on the PP, what an idiot he better score the ot winner.

#227 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

1.) Younger.

2.) They gained some cap space ($500,000). Reinprecht likely won't see Vancouver unless it's as a playoff call-up.

3.) A guy who *has been* a good point producer. Hopefully, he will continue to do so. He also has a history of being poor in the +/- column. Perhaps it was merely the system, the team and poor coaching that got him to -31 last season.

4.) Reportedly is a friend of Kesler which should make his transition into the Canucks' 2nd line easier for all considered.

5.) If he stays healthy, and produces points, he is locked up at a good price (which could be a great price), for another three seasons.

6.) If Booth plays poorly, he could find himself moved to another team by the trade deadline, and likely for more than what the Canucks had to give up to get him. Reinprecht could also be trade bait at the deadline for a team looking for a bit of depth and low commitment in the future.

regards,
G.

I don't see any way he gets traded this year even if he struggles.

Subbancopy.jpg

#228 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:37 PM

WHAT THE! WHY WOULD FLORIDA ACCEPT THIS! WEEEEEOOOOOOO
kinda feel bad for Samuelsson and Sturm though. Good luck you two

Posted Image

Wow, just wow Dale Tallon... You must really want your own old team to get the Stanley Cup more than Florida... This guys sure is a Canucks at heart...! Posted Image

Panthers did this because of money, not because they thought they were getting steals.

vykJJ.jpgk5COD.jpgxd8CQ.jpg

#229 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:37 PM

I don't see any way he gets traded this year even if he struggles.

Likely not. Just throwing out the possibility. :)

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#230 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:38 PM

anyone have multiple video of David Booth goals?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#231 Femme.Canuck

Femme.Canuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Gillis gets it done yet again! Can't wait to see Kes/Booth make hockey magic. We should all send thank you notes to Tallon... Jimmy Fallon style. :)

Edited by P.OneOh, 22 October 2011 - 07:38 PM.

One City. One Team. One Dream.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

#232 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Why would Hodgson not like this trade.
We bring in another LW, while Hodgson is playing RW. With Sammy gone a RW, this decreases competition for RW position. Hansen and Hodgson. Unless they convert either Higgins or Booth to RW Hodgson is playing top 9 either way all season. Higgins will be the one being bumped down if Booth plays up to his potential.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Hodgson
Higgins-Malholtra-Hansen (which we know has excellent chemistry)
Pinzotto-Lappierre-Volpatti/Bitz/Ebbett/Weise

I agree with this. Initial reports are that Higgins will remain on the second line and Hodgson will accordingly be dropped to the 3rd line. While he may not like that demotion, the trade does pretty well guarantee that Hodgson has a top-9 job with the big team at least until Raymond's return. Also, Hodgson might get a chance to centre the 3rd line.

With everyone healthy and going well, I'd like to see this:

Sedins Burr
Booth Kesler Higgins
Raymond Hodgson Hansen
Malhotra Laps Whoever

Obviously, the notable thing about this is Manny on the 4th line. Of course, he would still get to take big defensive zone face-offs and kill penalties. But, yes, his 5-on-5 ice-time decrease, and so would his offensive role. This might not be the best option (I guess it depends on how everyone's going), but I do really like the look of those top 3 lines.

Another thing is that we obviously have 10 quality top-9 forwards. This opens up the possibility that one would be dealt - most likely Raymond, who is the only member of that group to not be signed beyond this season. However, knowing our luck, there could be another injury (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!).

#233 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

On paper, looks like the Nucks win this deal.

On paper it certainly does. I'm going to hold judgment until we see Booth play though.

His contract is big and Booth hasn't been the same player since he got destroyed with a blindside hit. He had pretty terrible numbers last year - 40 points and minus 31 - (yah its Florida but still you gotta be better than that) and he's not really a powerforward. His game is more like a sniper.

He'll have to at least outscore Samuelsson by a significant margin to be worth it and improve his defensive game.

Everyone thinks we have the legit 2nd liner we wanted, and I'm not saying we don't, but some people need to take it with a grain of salt. I want to see him play first, and see if he can recapture his pre-concussion form.

Edited by mr.t_canuckpie, 22 October 2011 - 07:40 PM.

What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#234 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows-skilled cycle line with finish (Burrows)
Booth-Kesler-Raymond-skilled speed line
Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen- shutdown/forecheck line
Reinprecht-Lapierre-Bitz- hard hitting forecheck line
Hodgson- can be used if any injuries happen
Pinnizotto/Weise/Volpatti/Duco/Mancari/ any other Call up for toughness

Edler-Hamhuis
Ballard-Bieksa TWO WAY DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS
Alberts-Salo
Rome
Tanev/Sulzer/Sauve/ any other call up

Luongo
Schneider ONE OF THE BEST GOALTENDING TANDEMS IN THE LEAGUE

now if Gillis can find a pp quarterback during the deadline we would be perfect (we don't really need one though)
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#235 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

On Booth's 2nd goal Ballard with the sweet setup flying down the wing.

Subbancopy.jpg

#236 logwalker

logwalker

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

The Booth
The Booth
The Booth is on FIRE we don't need no water let the M____r F____r BURN!!
Sweet deal :towel:

#237 Mr X

Mr X

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:43 PM

The Canucks got the best player in the deal, and in the Canucks' case, that's awesome. You could even argue that they got the two best assets in the deal. The Canucks basically took on salary for Florida in Reinprecht (but lowered their cap hit - SO genius) and got repaid with a high upside player, who is only 26!! Even if he completely stinks (doubtful playing with Kesler), they still got the 3rd rounder.

#238 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:43 PM

1.) Younger.

regards,
G.

I agree with most of your points, but not point 6. If Booth struggles, nobody will want him. He already played his way out of Florida (they couldn't afford that contract without getting 50+ points out of him annually). If he struggles here, nobody will want him for 4.25M per through 2015.

#239 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

MG and DT are gods

there ya go
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#240 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

On paper it certainly does. I'm going to hold judgment until we see Booth play though.

His contract is big and Booth hasn't been the same player since he got destroyed with a blindside hit. He had pretty terrible numbers last year - 40 points and minus 31 - (yah its Florida but still you gotta be better than that) and he's not really a powerforward. His game is more like a sniper.

He'll have to at least outscore Samuelsson by a significant margin to be worth it and improve his defensive game.

Everyone thinks we have the legit 2nd liner we wanted, and I'm not saying we don't, but some people need to take it with a grain of salt. I want to see him play first, and see if he can recapture his pre-concussion form.

I was watching one of his interviews and he said last year he didn't train full out in the summer because of his Concussion symptoms.

His main goal was just to play 82 games. Now that he's done that he's ready to train full out again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNuPbb1Tj2Q

Subbancopy.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.