The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen

Slegr

I respect Jannik Hansen in that he's a hard working player. His passion is usually pretty evident, and he has wheels.

But I get so frustrated seeing his offensive inabilities... those hands of stone, which neutralizes an otherwise potentially exciting third line with Cody Hodgson and Manny Malhotra.

I know Hansen will always have his fans and followers because he has a low cap hit and high work ethic, but I'd argue that if the Canucks want to continue to be considered an elite team, they need to re-evaluate his worth. He's a plugger, and on most mediocre teams he fits the bill, but upon Raymond's return, Hansen is one of those guys who I'd omit from the lineup before Hodgson or anyone else.

You might suggest that Hansen provides that hard forchecking or sandpaper edge the Canucks lack, but he's not a true 'Raffi Torres' type, and we have a whole fourth line dedicated to the bumping and bruising. A line of Hodgson, Malhotra, and Raymond really interests me, and I think would give the Canucks the extra bit of offense they need in order to score first and win some games.

He works hard, plays smart in his own end, is fast enough to cover anyone, and can chip in with a bit of offense. I have no complaints about what he brings, especially since he steps it up in the playoffs.

History has not been kind to people who make threads suggesting our hardest working players don't belong on the team. ;)

Have we been watching the same games? Manny (love the guy, but..) has been the offense killer. Hansen may not score goals, but he regularly sends the puck to the exact right place with no one to finish.

I'd advocate balancing things by putting Hodgson back on the RW 2nd line so he can set up Kes and Booth, and a 3rd line of Higgins-Manny-Hansen. They were great at the start of the season and Higgins is often cruising right through the crease which is where Hansen loves to fire the puck unexpectedly.

I'd also take Lapierre over Manny in that slot - Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen would be a very dangerous 3rd line, but that's another argument.

I'd rather keep Hansen, he works hards, is a great 2 way player, has wheels, good team member and comes relatively cheap for what he does. Raymond on the other hand has blazing speed but no consistency, good two way player as well but he needs to be a scorer not a Jannik Hansen, if he's going to do Hansen's job we might as well leave Hansen where he is and save ourselves Raymond's salary. All of this in light that we now have Booth of course.

Either way, Raymond's perimeter game frustrates the hell out of me, I mean you've got Kesler on your line buddy! use him!

He works hard, plays smart in his own end, is fast enough to cover anyone, and can chip in with a bit of offense. I have no complaints about what he brings, especially since he steps it up in the playoffs.

History has not been kind to people who make threads suggesting our hardest working players don't belong on the team. ;)

this...

Hansen, Do we really need him? All kidding aside the whole team is playing at a sub par level right now. Although i haven't noticed the Hansen of last year much, he doesn't throw hits as much, and sometimes just looks like he's skating with his head cut off. Its tough though to find a groove when your linemates are constantly changing.

Don't need Hansen to score goals, even if he's on the "third" line, that's not what he's there for.

He's strong on the PK and on defense in general, will fore-check hard and will hit once in a while (all of this is magnified come playoff time).

Raymond is not the answer. Just because he's decent defensively doesn't mean he should overthrow Hansen; Hansen offers a lot more in that role.

I don't know why people think Raymond adds so much offensively. He does have the potential, but looks virtually useless out there most of the time (he had a terrible season last year, and he played most of it beside Kesler).

We don't need roster changes, we just need the entire team to get in the groove and hit their stride together.

Just because Hansen missed that chance around the net late in the game last night doesn't mean you need to make a thread about him.

Just because Hansen missed that chance around the net late in the game last night doesn't mean you need to make a thread about him.

oh yeah! You know with 5 minutes left in the game, my friend predicted Hansen would score the tying goal with 1:17 left. And that chance you refer to happened at 1:20!

He also called Burrows for a shorthanded goal, and about 10 seconds later Kes and Burr had that 2-on-1 where Burr missed by inches.

So, in conclusion, blame my friend for the loss last night. He was all set-up and no finish.

I respect Jannik Hansen in that he's a hard working player. His passion is usually pretty evident, and he has wheels.

But I get so frustrated seeing his offensive inabilities... those hands of stone, which neutralizes an otherwise potentially exciting third line with Cody Hodgson and Manny Malhotra.

I know Hansen will always have his fans and followers because he has a low cap hit and high work ethic, but I'd argue that if the Canucks want to continue to be considered an elite team, they need to re-evaluate his worth. He's a plugger, and on most mediocre teams he fits the bill, but upon Raymond's return, Hansen is one of those guys who I'd omit from the lineup before Hodgson or anyone else.

You might suggest that Hansen provides that hard forchecking or sandpaper edge the Canucks lack, but he's not a true 'Raffi Torres' type, and we have a whole fourth line dedicated to the bumping and bruising. A line of Hodgson, Malhotra, and Raymond really interests me, and I think would give the Canucks the extra bit of offense they need in order to score first and win some games.

This is laughable. You're telling me that you would dress Volpatti over Hansen? I'm sorry this is just a fail. I'd rather have Hansen than Torres, younger hits more and all in all is harder to play against. The reason why Hansen is so valuable is that his giveaway/takeaway stats throughout his young career so far have been great. This is why he gets a lot of PK time.

like others have mentioned, he lacks finish but he's a good passer, he has a good sense. Despite the finishing department, the guy has second line qualities in some areas, makes him a great 3rd line option.

The whole team hasn't had a great start, Ballard and Bieksa are a -7, want to start a thread about it? I'd tell you to start a luongo thread, but do we really need that?

When Raymond comes back, this team should be rolling by then, I'll bet they won't want to mess with that second line if it's producing. I do agree with you that Raymond gets slotted into the 3rd line, but that doesn't take Hansen out of the lineup or even the 3rd line.

*Edit*

Also I'd like to add that Hodgson is on the bubble right now, if anything. He hasn't played well on the wing, it'll take awhile to adjust and it looks like AV wants to put him back into playing center. Malhotra isn't as valuable playing wing. I'd look for Lapierre maybe to move over and play on the 3rd line, his play has good.

The 3rd line wouldn't have to worry about scoring 'first' if the whole team would come out at the start of the 1st period ready to play hockey. The last games that I watched there was a continual parade to the penalty box (usually for a lazy hook, hold , crosscheck or slash) and the Canucks played 2/3rds of the game on the PK.

So the Sedins go for their warmup skate and then spend the better part of 2 periods sitting on the bench.

As far as Hansens hands of stone, I do believe that he has a goal. What about Malhotra, Cody set him up with a clear shot on goal and he backpassed.......maybe he is not seeing well enough to shoot at the net? The 3rd line is supposed to be the shadow line and the 4th line is supposed to hem the opposition in their zone and wear them down. If either the 3rd or 4th lines score....bonus but if they don't there should be enough firepower on the 1st and 2nd lines.

The whole team has to be ready to play well defensively, skate and support the goalie and the defense without taking cheap penalties. Unless that happens the team will be relying on having to get a 'come from behind' victory or tie.....which is playing with fire.

This thread should have been over at this point.

Everyone else below like myself are either regurgitating what this guy's saying or going off on some irrelevant tangent.

Have we been watching the same games? Manny (love the guy, but..) has been the offense killer. Hansen may not score goals, but he regularly sends the puck to the exact right place with no one to finish.

I'd advocate balancing things by putting Hodgson back on the RW 2nd line so he can set up Kes and Booth, and a 3rd line of Higgins-Manny-Hansen. They were great at the start of the season and Higgins is often cruising right through the crease which is where Hansen loves to fire the puck unexpectedly.

I'd also take Lapierre over Manny in that slot - Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen would be a very dangerous 3rd line, but that's another argument.

wouldn't mind that really though Manny's production'll take quite the hit

Twins - Burr

Booth - Kes - Cody

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen (I think this line or one with AMEX intact and Cody on the wing or center will be dangerous; Jannik can set up Mad Max and Cody, seeing how both of them shoot quite well, though Manny and Max can switch depending on who's playing well)

Volpatti - Manny - Weise (Off topic: I can't WAIT until Pinizzotto's back! If Jannik gets called Stone hands then Volpatti's a sniper rifle with a twisted scope; he shoots wide SO REGULARLY! Being an effective goon aside I think Steve'll be the better option, and overall this line can be pretty threatening too)

SO MANY OPTIONS (for rosters and other guys to nitpick about, so why Hansen? :P)

Just thought I'd come back and add one salient point - last season, Hansen was the only player other than the Sedins and Kesler to play every single game, regular season and playoffs. And out of the four, only him and Daniel were still healthy when all was said and done. So as much as we'd all love to see him dishing huge hits every time he's out on the ice, there's something to be said for playing responsibly in order to achieve durability. I consider it to be a niche aspect to the concept of hockey sense.

Archived