The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen

Slegr

Hansen's trade value keeps going up and up. 

Not saying trade him but if he was on an elite team he'd be traded for a high pick/prospect or even both.

These teams know when to sell high. A 3rd liner (let's face it that's what he really is) that can do all he does and score is a valuable commodity.

I find some of the views on this site honestly absurd or perhaps its just lack of understanding how hard it is to play at a high level in a pro sport - not sure if it ignorance or just well who knows but.....

1. I often see people say  trade this guy, trade that guy his value is high! Like this is a video game and just because you have a player rated 80 below him he's movable - life is not a video game nor is pro sports.

2. A TEAM is built with a multitude of different type of players, different roles, different strengths and weaknesses

3. The Canucks are a team in transition and through that transition it takes young players a long time to learn how to compete day in day out, learn how hard they have to work, prepare during the season and offseason. Moreover, placing players who are young in roles they are not ready for for 82 games is the easiest way to bust them. Sure a player may look great in a role for 2-4 games, but then maybe he has to go up against an Ovechkin and his role is to shut him down, the next night, he has to shut down Malkin, then Kane....kids will get schooled, lose their confidence, and then bust.

4. The value of a player like Hansen is

A. He's a burner - he'll never lose those wheels

B. His role on this team has never been to score goals, it has been as forechecker, a pk'er, a tough guy to play against, so his goals are a plus and as he ages this means, his value to the team will not decline very much.

C. Much like a player like Burrows - this guy embodies what it is to be a LEADER on and off the ice. The man is a PRO, he works his tail off, is pure Canuck through and through, he comes to play 110% EVERY night, when has anyone ever said 'Man that Hansen is dogging it" - NEVER. Complaints have only been, damn I wish he could finish. That is the type of player this team NEEDS in this transition phase. He shelters the young guys, teaches them how to play the PRO game, and contributes all he has every night.

5. People here seem to think you can just plug in these young guys because they were drafted high and hey in NHL 16 if you have a first round draft pick they can play right! No..not how it works sorry. Look at Cassells, not a first rounder but many thought he was ready, the AHL is showing he's not yet. Guance, Shinkaruk, are just 'starting' to show they  MIGHT be ready for a look. Does that mean they can come in and play 82 games and not get worn down, contribute as much or more AND be able to lead??? No

Hansen like Burrows should retire a Canuck. In 3-4 years when we have a hopefully another shot at a Cup, the twins will hopefully be around as third liners / 2b. Burr will be the depth guy you bring in during the playoffs if there are injuries and Hansen and Dorsett bookend the 4th line.

Guys who have battled, who have been there are always needed, that's why every team that goes to the cup searches for those types of players desperately when they are making their run....we have a few that will be in the 'right' spot when he have our next shot - why would we get rid of some of our best leaders?

Anyone suggesting this type of stuff doesn't really have much knowledge of what it takes to create a winner, and to win - IMHO

2 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Not saying trade him but if he was on an elite team he'd be traded for a high pick/prospect or even both.

These teams know when to sell high. A 3rd liner (let's face it that's what he really is) that can do all he does and score is a valuable commodity.

1.) An observation/question I would put forward is: if Hansen was on an elite team, wouldn't they want to keep him?

A third liner who has speed, can check, plays a physical style and can also provide a certain amount of offensive production is a pretty valuable asset (see McCannon's post above). Add to this that he has two seasons left a very cap friendly contract. Trading such a player who is (arguably) in his prime doesn't seem to be a very helpful move and would only serve to move your elite team towards a non-elite status. 

2.) A second observation/question I have is: what kind of asset(s) do people believe would come back from trading Hansen?

You are suggesting a high pick (a 1st?) and/or a prospect. Assuming that the other team wins the Cup, that pick becomes the 30th overall. I don't see this pick alone being as valuable as having Hansen on the Canucks' roster for another two years (on a very cap friendly deal) and possibly for another few years after the current deal is done. What kind of prospect would the other team be willing to offer, in addition to the 1st round pick? I presume that the Canucks would target d-men prospects.

A few examples from some of the teams who have a good chance at winning the Cup are: Washington - Bowey; Chicago - Pokka, Dallas - Honka, Florida - Matheson, NY Islanders - Pullock. Would any of these team want Hansen? And if so, would they pay their 1st and the prospect named? I'm not so sure.

regards,  G.

Every draft there are players picked in the 1st round that don't turn into half the player Hansen is. If the Canucks would have drafted him bottom 1st or high 2nd round, he would be considered a successful pick. So what would be bring back? A  2nd round pick and/or prospect which may, or may not, turn into NHL roster players. He's 29 so has a few years left, and is still getting better.

22 hours ago, McCannon said:

I find some of the views on this site honestly absurd or perhaps its just lack of understanding how hard it is to play at a high level in a pro sport - not sure if it ignorance or just well who knows but.....

1. I often see people say  trade this guy, trade that guy his value is high! Like this is a video game and just because you have a player rated 80 below him he's movable - life is not a video game nor is pro sports.

2. A TEAM is built with a multitude of different type of players, different roles, different strengths and weaknesses

3. The Canucks are a team in transition and through that transition it takes young players a long time to learn how to compete day in day out, learn how hard they have to work, prepare during the season and offseason. Moreover, placing players who are young in roles they are not ready for for 82 games is the easiest way to bust them. Sure a player may look great in a role for 2-4 games, but then maybe he has to go up against an Ovechkin and his role is to shut him down, the next night, he has to shut down Malkin, then Kane....kids will get schooled, lose their confidence, and then bust.

4. The value of a player like Hansen is

A. He's a burner - he'll never lose those wheels

B. His role on this team has never been to score goals, it has been as forechecker, a pk'er, a tough guy to play against, so his goals are a plus and as he ages this means, his value to the team will not decline very much.

C. Much like a player like Burrows - this guy embodies what it is to be a LEADER on and off the ice. The man is a PRO, he works his tail off, is pure Canuck through and through, he comes to play 110% EVERY night, when has anyone ever said 'Man that Hansen is dogging it" - NEVER. Complaints have only been, damn I wish he could finish. That is the type of player this team NEEDS in this transition phase. He shelters the young guys, teaches them how to play the PRO game, and contributes all he has every night.

5. People here seem to think you can just plug in these young guys because they were drafted high and hey in NHL 16 if you have a first round draft pick they can play right! No..not how it works sorry. Look at Cassells, not a first rounder but many thought he was ready, the AHL is showing he's not yet. Guance, Shinkaruk, are just 'starting' to show they  MIGHT be ready for a look. Does that mean they can come in and play 82 games and not get worn down, contribute as much or more AND be able to lead??? No

Hansen like Burrows should retire a Canuck. In 3-4 years when we have a hopefully another shot at a Cup, the twins will hopefully be around as third liners / 2b. Burr will be the depth guy you bring in during the playoffs if there are injuries and Hansen and Dorsett bookend the 4th line.

Guys who have battled, who have been there are always needed, that's why every team that goes to the cup searches for those types of players desperately when they are making their run....we have a few that will be in the 'right' spot when he have our next shot - why would we get rid of some of our best leaders?

Anyone suggesting this type of stuff doesn't really have much knowledge of what it takes to create a winner, and to win - IMHO

^^^^ This.

Hansen has blossomed this year into the COMPLETE player we all hoped he would be.

He always has been good defensively, a good hitter, a great PK'er, now he is putting the puck in the net more consistently. 

If you ask the guys on the team, they will all tell you how amazIng Hansen has always been at scoring goals in practice... making amazing moves, etc.  Now finally he is starting to do that consistently in game.

And to put the icing on the cake, he is tough, stands up for his team-mates, and is totally willing to sacrifice all for the team.  AND he is one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.  Truly a 'Great Dane'.

Every single team in the NHL would immediately give their eye teeth to have Hansen on their team... there is nothing he doesn't do well. 

I had to laugh last year when all the CDC whiners were screaming for his head and for him to be traded... even early this year it was the same.  Some people are too stupid to recognize quality when it stands in front of them.

I hope the guy stays with the Canucks and retires here.

34 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

^^^^ This.

Hansen has blossomed this year into the COMPLETE player we all hoped he would be.

He always has been good defensively, a good hitter, a great PK'er, now he is putting the puck in the net more consistently. 

If you ask the guys on the team, they will all tell you how amazIng Hansen has always been at scoring goals in practice... making amazing moves, etc.  Now finally he is starting to do that consistently in game.

And to put the icing on the cake, he is tough, stands up for his team-mates, and is totally willing to sacrifice all for the team.  AND he is one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.  Truly a 'Great Dane'.

Every single team in the NHL would immediately give their eye teeth to have Hansen on their team... there is nothing he doesn't do well. 

I had to laugh last year when all the CDC whiners were screaming for his head and for him to be traded... even early this year it was the same.  Some people are too stupid to recognize quality when it stands in front of them.

I hope the guy stays with the Canucks and retires here.

100% agree!  Hansen is one of hardest working players and has good skillset. Hope he retires here indeed.

2 minutes ago, John316 said:

100% agree!  Hansen is one of hardest working players and has good skillset. Hope he retires here indeed.

I don't think there is even one Canuck's fan who doesn't love Hansen.  That accepted truth aside, IMHAO we should trade him (add him to Hamhuis) to improve our draft position and prospect depth.  Considering our average play is too good to get into the top five picks, we sure could use more picks after that.  The more picks we give JB, the more chances he has to get lucky and snag elite potential a bit later on.  

His value is high right now, but at the same time we need a player like him. 

At 29 he is a good bridge between the young players and the older vets. He has shown (both this year and the lockout year) he can hold his own on the first line offensively. Sitting 44th in the league in goals. 30 teams, 3 first liners per team = he is middle of the pack. I would classify him as a "middle six", but he is doing a great job in a valuable roll for 2.5 million with two more years remaining.

Trading him for picks leaves a bit of a gap. We will have a lot of young guys challenging for spots, and not enough veteran presence. JB has done an alright job acquiring players to fill the gap of the drafts between 2006 - 2011 where we had a grand total of ZERO picks pan out onto our current roster. 

2011 - Baertschi 
2010 - Etem
2009 - Vey
2008 - Sbisa
2007 - Sutter
2006 - Dorsett

On 1/24/2016 at 4:43 PM, Fozzy said:

I have no idea what kind of return the Canucks would get for Hansen, but I think he is far to valuable for the team to let him go. 

Hansen is the epitomy of the kind of player they want to support the youngin's coming in.  He has the speed and defensive IQ that will cover up their rookie mistakes, he can play on any line (and make it better) and will help the team to win games (credating a winning enviroment for the newbies.

All that and a 9th round pick role model.

Keep him.  He's a diamond in the rough.

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

His value is high right now, but at the same time we need a player like him. 

At 29 he is a good bridge between the young players and the older vets. He has shown (both this year and the lockout year) he can hold his own on the first line offensively. Sitting 44th in the league in goals. 30 teams, 3 first liners per team = he is middle of the pack. I would classify him as a "middle six", but he is doing a great job in a valuable roll for 2.5 million with two more years remaining.

Trading him for picks leaves a bit of a gap. We will have a lot of young guys challenging for spots, and not enough veteran presence. JB has done an alright job acquiring players to fill the gap of the drafts between 2006 - 2011 where we had a grand total of ZERO picks pan out onto our current roster. 

2011 - Baertschi 
2010 - Etem
2009 - Vey
2008 - Sbisa
2007 - Sutter
2006 - Dorsett

Seeing your post, how could anyone say Gillis did a good job here?  He did a partial job only.  The guy drafted mostly crap.  

On January 24, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Fozzy said:

Yes!!!! 

Everyone wants to trade our garbage." Nobody wants.

Hansen is a commodity and could get us a great return.  We would still have the forward depth to replace him and Vrbata if it gets us a great young d and a 1rst.

Hansen is the new Burrows. I mean Hansen is scoring from everywhere, literally. Whether it's a slap shot coming down the wing, a wrist shot, snap shot, a tip in, deflection, etc.

He scores clean and dirty goals.

I'd much rather trade Vrbata. I think we should trade Vrbata no matter what at the TDL.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

His speed and tenacity could make him an effective player for some time yet, I would guess 7-8 more years . 

I doubt that is true.  He is  31 next month.

Look for Hansen production to start dropping off next season  or so and drastically down in  2-3 years......

Time to trade Hansen is right now.......  Max value.   Get it done next week JB.

Archived