The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen

Slegr

I respect Jannik Hansen in that he's a hard working player. His passion is usually pretty evident, and he has wheels.

But I get so frustrated seeing his offensive inabilities... those hands of stone, which neutralizes an otherwise potentially exciting third line with Cody Hodgson and Manny Malhotra.

I know Hansen will always have his fans and followers because he has a low cap hit and high work ethic, but I'd argue that if the Canucks want to continue to be considered an elite team, they need to re-evaluate his worth. He's a plugger, and on most mediocre teams he fits the bill, but upon Raymond's return, Hansen is one of those guys who I'd omit from the lineup before Hodgson or anyone else.

You might suggest that Hansen provides that hard forchecking or sandpaper edge the Canucks lack, but he's not a true 'Raffi Torres' type, and we have a whole fourth line dedicated to the bumping and bruising. A line of Hodgson, Malhotra, and Raymond really interests me, and I think would give the Canucks the extra bit of offense they need in order to score first and win some games.

Malhotra is exciting? Last season he had 30 points to Hansens 29 points. And Malhotra centered the 2nd PP unit most of the year. Yet you find Hansens offensive inability frustrating? Posts like yours are a real head scratcher for me. I really wonder what some people are watching during the games.

Dude you tried to call out Hansen and instead CDC is owning you for it just like the old Burrows thread, lol. Let's see how many minuses you get while Hansen is having his break out year.

"Dude", as mentioned, I'm happy to see Hansen having an improved season, and hope he continued to play better. But to all of those suggesting Hansen and Burrows are in the same league, let's not get carried away. Yes, they have a similar amount of points this year, but Hansen is nowhere the player Burrows is.

And as nice as it is that Hansen has scored nine goals this season, he hasn't been stellar in his own end. The game before his HUGE two goal performance, he was directly responsible for two opposition goals. He's one of only a handful of minus players on the team. And I still think he has hands of stone, despite the nine goals. Luckily, he generates enough chances through his tenacious forechecking and speed.

I hope he continues to hold his own, but let's keep it real.

"Dude", as mentioned, I'm happy to see Hansen having an improved season, and hope he continued to play better. But to all of those suggesting Hansen and Burrows are in the same league, let's not get carried away. Yes, they have a similar amount of points this year, but Hansen is nowhere the player Burrows is.

And as nice as it is that Hansen has scored nine goals this season, he hasn't been stellar in his own end. The game before his HUGE two goal performance, he was directly responsible for two opposition goals. He's one of only a handful of minus players on the team. And I still think he has hands of stone, despite the nine goals. Luckily, he generates enough chances through his tenacious forechecking and speed.

lol just admit it

Even if Burrows should be considered better than Hansen (despite the points-stats), Hansen is actually 5 years younger. Now how would you compare Hansen to the player Burrows was (seen as) 5 years ago ?

IMO it seems Burr has come a long way in those five years, so Hansen might also. Also His "stone hands" is not due to lack of talent, but due to lack of confidence from himself and AV. . That has been partially repaired in the latest month or two, with the result of 10 (8+2) points in the last 12 games. Also his his Even Strength point stats are the best of the Canucks (in some case best after the Sedins). And previously (AHL + pre-NorthAmerica) he was quite the scorer.

I do still understand where the OP was coming from, I just think he's early in writing off Hansen. I love Hansen. He's a hard working DEVELOPING player. I chuckled last year every time he worked his ass off and got the puck for a break out only to have every ounce of his hockey sense dry up the moment he crossed the opponents blue line.

I am very happy to see him having some success and burn chicken in the wee hours of the morning in hopes his scoring development will continue. In the end though I just don't know Hansens skill ceiling. Burrows blew away my upper limit on what he could do, while Mat Cook never reached the second line player I thought he would. What I do believe is this year and the next are key years in Hansens entire career so he's worth giving extra rope to see what he'll do with it.

On a side note.... How nice is it to have so many great key players who can prop our younger guys up and really enhance their development.

He works hard, plays smart in his own end, is fast enough to cover anyone, and can chip in with a bit of offense. I have no complaints about what he brings, especially since he steps it up in the playoffs.

History has not been kind to people who make threads suggesting our hardest working players don't belong on the team. ;)

I went back to the beginning of the thread to see the OP and found this quite funny lol..

This wasnt op but a couple posts down

Archived