The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks might miss the playoffs this year!

gradin123

Where will the Canucks Finish?  

257 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1. Blackhawks had to blow up their team because of cap issues. Canucks have kept pretty much the whole core which made it to the finals, Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Luongo, Schnieder, Bieksa, Salo, Edler, Higgins, Lappy, etc. we didnt lose much, mainly Ehrhoff.

2. Edler was on track for a 50PTS+ season last year before he got injured. I can see him getting 50PTS+ this year which will make up for the loss of Ehrhoff, not to mention Ballard has been much better this year and he'll get 20-30PTS+ as well.

3. We tend to have lousy Octobers, and heat up in November.

4. Our divison is still pretty weak tbh. May be a little harder than last year but last year wasn't exactly a hard season for us in the NW.

5. Be a loyal fan and have faith. Canucks will make the playoffs with a 100PTS+ season. You know they will.

There are some people on this forum I would not want around me in a real emergency. Good grief. I don't care if we win the regular season as resounding as last season. I care that we rest players as needed and we build momentum towards the play offs, not looking to peak in October. Never coached hockey but have been in high levels at other sport and have seen a struggling team that simply needs a little time. I think the Kesler Booth Higgins line is really going to be electric. I see player frustration not from lack of effort. As said 100 times before on this forum this really is the pre season for these players particularly those coming back from tough injuries. Don't share your thoughts on AV, yet. When players are frustrated by outcomes all they can do is blame themselves and search inward to get better outcomes. When fans get frustrated, they don't have to search inwardly, they just attack the players. It's an understandable frustration that sometimes makes people say things that aren't fair to the team. All the incessant media negativity and "broken ankle" fans are accomplishing one thing that is positive and that is you can bet it is only serving to solidify the bond between the players in the locker room and a united team will perform better on the ice not because of it but in spite of it.

I am not sure why you are getting flamed and piling up the minuses because you make some valid points.

It is easy to become complacent and say that 'it is only 10 games in' but it is a large chunk of the season gone no matter how you slice it.

I wouldn't be too concerned if I saw the team playing decent defensively and that the PP and PK were still effective but really both have been inept.

Luongo is struggling and that is huge. He is going to turn it around but the question is when. The Sedin line is not doing much, Kesler has to get back to playing like he did last year and the defense is having brain cramps every game that cost us.

The bright spots are the play of Hodgson and Schneider plus the acquisition of Booth.

It is odd that you get flamed for criticing the team.....that's CDC for you. I appreciated you post and gave you a plus.

Making the Stanley Cup Finals last year doesn't guarantee the Canucks will even make the playoffs this year and if you don't think so just think back to the Blackhawks of last year who very nearly missed one year after winning the Stanley Cup. The Western Conference is very competitive and it took 97 points last year just to make the playoffs, Dallas missed with 95 points and it looks like the West will be just as competitive this year. The line between going from very good to just pretty good is very thin. Like losing Ehrhoff and replacing him with no one thin. Like not playing anyone in the preseason and coming into the season sluggish thin. Like still being fatigued from the long Stanley Cup run of last year thin. Like the Sedins level of play dropping slightly because they have peaked as players thin. Like having very little young talent in the minors thin.

Last year the Canucks were a team largely driven by playing in a very weak division and having great special teams. The Power Play last year was lights out and really carried them, the loss of Ehrhoff is really hurting them here. Gillis erred not by letting Ehrhoff go, because he simply was overpaid by Buffalo, no Gillis erred in thinking the Canucks could replace Ehrhoff from players already with the team. The problem is no one other than Salo, who we all know is going to get hurt at some point, is at all capable of replacing Ehrhoff on the Power Play. Will the Canucks trade for a defenseman who can play the Power play? Honestly they aren't easy to find.(Although I think they should give the Flames a call about Anton Babchuk who is in Sutters doghouse).

The window on the Canucks is closing fast. The Sedins may very well be on the decline now and the young talent in this organization is very poor. The decline of this team may come way faster than most could fathom. At the end of last year Gillis seemed to suggest that the Status Quo was good enough and I knew at the time that was a very bad line to take. A team can never be content, they always have to strive to improve even if they win the Cup. Gillis has always been overrated as a GM and the fact he won executive of the year last season was a joke. Let's face it the players that drove the Canucks last year were almost all leftovers from the previous regimes. I have little faith Gillis can turn this around but honestly given the mess the Canucks are in looking at the longterm picture I don't know if anyone could turn it around. Who are the elite players that are going to replace the Sedins? There are no young players in the Canucks organization at all who have any chance of becoming elite NHL stars. Three years from now I have no doubt the Oilers will be way better than the Canucks.

I know I am going to get flamed. I know people are going to say I'm nuts but I honestly think the Canucks as a organization are closer right now to being a team that routinely misses the playoffs than they are as threats to win the Stanley Cup again. They will be pretty good for the next 2-3 years but after that it looks pretty ugly.

90 points might be enough to win the Northwest division this year, and grab a top 3 seed.

Now the Pacific division on the other hand.... Well, that doesn't matter, since the Canucks are still in the Northwest, barring some kind of radical mid-season re-alignment plan we are unaware of (except the OP).

post-34555-0-59898700-1319734849_thumb.j

Making the Stanley Cup Finals last year doesn't guarantee the Canucks will even make the playoffs this year and if you don't think so just think back to the Blackhawks of last year who very nearly missed one year after winning the Stanley Cup. The Western Conference is very competitive and it took 97 points last year just to make the playoffs, Dallas missed with 95 points and it looks like the West will be just as competitive this year. The line between going from very good to just pretty good is very thin. Like losing Ehrhoff and replacing him with no one thin. Like not playing anyone in the preseason and coming into the season sluggish thin. Like still being fatigued from the long Stanley Cup run of last year thin. Like the Sedins level of play dropping slightly because they have peaked as players thin. Like having very little young talent in the minors thin.

Last year the Canucks were a team largely driven by playing in a very weak division and having great special teams. The Power Play last year was lights out and really carried them, the loss of Ehrhoff is really hurting them here. Gillis erred not by letting Ehrhoff go, because he simply was overpaid by Buffalo, no Gillis erred in thinking the Canucks could replace Ehrhoff from players already with the team. The problem is no one other than Salo, who we all know is going to get hurt at some point, is at all capable of replacing Ehrhoff on the Power Play. Will the Canucks trade for a defenseman who can play the Power play? Honestly they aren't easy to find.(Although I think they should give the Flames a call about Anton Babchuk who is in Sutters doghouse).

The window on the Canucks is closing fast. The Sedins may very well be on the decline now and the young talent in this organization is very poor. The decline of this team may come way faster than most could fathom. At the end of last year Gillis seemed to suggest that the Status Quo was good enough and I knew at the time that was a very bad line to take. A team can never be content, they always have to strive to improve even if they win the Cup. Gillis has always been overrated as a GM and the fact he won executive of the year last season was a joke. Let's face it the players that drove the Canucks last year were almost all leftovers from the previous regimes. I have little faith Gillis can turn this around but honestly given the mess the Canucks are in looking at the longterm picture I don't know if anyone could turn it around. Who are the elite players that are going to replace the Sedins? There are no young players in the Canucks organization at all who have any chance of becoming elite NHL stars. Three years from now I have no doubt the Oilers will be way better than the Canucks.

I know I am going to get flamed. I know people are going to say I'm nuts but I honestly think the Canucks as a organization are closer right now to being a team that routinely misses the playoffs than they are as threats to win the Stanley Cup again. They will be pretty good for the next 2-3 years but after that it looks pretty ugly.

If this early into the season we can start talking about something as stupid as missing the playoffs then it is equally relevant to say that we're not looking bad because we're only 5 points out of first in the west and 7 points out of first in the league.

No you're not a realist you're an opportunist. A realist thinks realistically and realistically at this point in the season talking about "might" and "could" is extremely flawed and meaningless. Realistically there is no point and a realist would know that. No...you're an opportunist who saw an opportunity to make a silly thread.

Archived