The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks might miss the playoffs this year!

gradin123

Where will the Canucks Finish?  

257 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If this early into the season we can start talking about something as stupid as missing the playoffs then it is equally relevant to say that we're not looking bad because we're only 5 points out of first in the west and 7 points out of first in the league.

No you're not a realist you're an opportunist. A realist thinks realistically and realistically at this point in the season talking about "might" and "could" is extremely flawed and meaningless. Realistically there is no point and a realist would know that. No...you're an opportunist who saw an opportunity to make a silly thread.

It's true we've had slow starts the past few years. However, our scoring is lower through ten games than the past few years:

2008/2009 through 10 games - 32 goals

2009/2010 through 10 games - 29 goals

2010/2011 through 10 games - 27 goals

So far through this year - 24 goals

It's nothing drastic, and certainly no reason to suspect we'll miss the playoffs. This team will figure it out and will be just fine. Relax, take a deep breath, and try not to panic.

OP is a tad pessimistic and perhaps forecasting beyond what is reasonable but a few good points and certainly not worthy of all the negs handed out.

I'm not too worried about the goaltending while acknowledging it needs to get better. Also, the defense will eventually tighten up...lots of new bodies and responsibilities to be worked out still, along with the hangover effect. I thought Cory summed it up well after last game when he said "perhaps we took last year's success for granted".

What does concern me is the lack of offensive production. While some chances are being generated, there is very little cohesiveness to the attack and little sustained pressure. 5 on 5, the Nucks aren't a big threat. Last year, much of our offense was created on the PP where the Sedins have the room they need to work their magic. This year (like the SCF last year), the PP is struggling. It will improve with the talent we have but I am concerned about relying on the "let them take penalties and we'll make them pay" approach to winning. Unless the Refs call the game the way WE want them to, this puts the team's fate in the hands of the league. As we saw against Boston (as did Tampa Bay) this is a dangerous strategy. From Kesler's behavior so far this year (whining and gesturing to the refs constantly), it looks like they still believe this is the way to be successful.

The Sedins may just be in a funk or maybe their success of past years has led teams to study their style more closely and focus on shutting them down. Whatever the reasons, I am concerned that this team needs to find a way to be more of a consistent threat 5 on 5. Twenty four goals 10 games in is disconcerting for a team with the talent we have "on paper".

In the last 5 Octobers, theyve had 4 slow starts, and the one time they did have a good October was in 2007, and low and behold, they missed the playoffs that season, the other 4 times, won the division, and added a Presidents Trophy and won the West.

From mid November on, I always forget about October cause the Canucks go a massive killing spree of the entire league and all is forgotten.

This team should be 7-2-1 right now, they outplayed the Rangers and lost, outplayed the Oilers 2 nights ago and lost, and also put 32 shots on net last night, rang the post 3 times, and missed a few empty nets and glorious scoring opportunities, Blues did get some luck.

Not worried here, too much talent on this team and they always have great regular seasons, this is a tune up for the playoffs folks, just enjoy it and in April we party again.

What does concern me is the lack of offensive production. While some chances are being generated, there is very little cohesiveness to the attack and little sustained pressure. 5 on 5, the Nucks aren't a big threat. Last year, much of our offense was created on the PP where the Sedins have the room they need to work their magic. This year (like the SCF last year), the PP is struggling. It will improve with the talent we have but I am concerned about relying on the "let them take penalties and we'll make them pay" approach to winning. Unless the Refs call the game the way WE want them to, this puts the team's fate in the hands of the league. As we saw against Boston (as did Tampa Bay) this is a dangerous strategy. From Kesler's behavior so far this year (whining and gesturing to the refs constantly), it looks like they still believe this is the way to be successful.

The Sedins may just be in a funk or maybe their success of past years has led teams to study their style more closely and focus on shutting them down. Whatever the reasons, I am concerned that this team needs to find a way to be more of a consistent threat 5 on 5. Twenty four goals 10 games in is disconcerting for a team with the talent we have "on paper".

Yes, Canucks are on pace to miss the playoffs this year right now....in theory.

Then again...in theory:

Phil Kessel is on pace to score 92 goals and 136 points this year.

Jonathan Quick is on pace to get 27 shutouts this year.

Washington Capitals are on pace to go 82-0 this year.

Archived