The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wanted: One big bad defenceman

J.I.A.H.N

I am also older than most here, have cheered the Nucks since they were in the whl. Anyways I have always been a supporter of a "big" mean defender that really can exert a Physical presence when required and lay the big hits when opportunity presents.

Lets face it Hockey is a Physical game , fast as well. where can we get a Pronger, Chara type guy that intimidates with his sheer physical stature, let alone his "mean" disposition. Oh, and the guy needs to be a proficient pugilist as well, to back up his serious physical aura.

These guys are rare as all get out and I for one sure wish we had one!!!

I have a feeling our current defencemen will play a lot meaner and a lot more physical in the playoffs.

We've seen Edler can really dish out big hits in the playoffs so he's not a concern. He and his partner are fine.

Hamhuis doesn't often hit consistently in the playoffs because he's busy being sound positionally.

Bieksa can really thrive in the intensity of the playoffs so that pairing is fine.

For the 3rd pairing, Ballard doesn't hit much but Rome and Alberts are both big hitters so we're fine.

As for crease-clearing, Hamhuis-Bieksa are our best defencemen at that. Ballard is alright but Rome and Alberts have a tough time, often screening our goalie so our 3rd pairing needs help clearing the crease effectively. As for Edler and Salo, they aren't very physical infront of the net, especially Salo who is often jostled out of position which costed us many goals against Boston. Ehrhoff was especially terrible in this department.

As for board play, Salo and Hamhuis are two of the best in the league IMO, they make clever small passes to aleviate pressure really well. Bieksa and Edler have shown they really crumble under pressure and a strong forecheck, but with their good partners they shouldn't be an issue. Then there's Ballard, who is a smooth skater but can fall under pressure as well as Rome. He did, however, work really well with Tanev to get the puck out of the zone, but Ballard-Rome/Alberts are overall terrible in moving the puck up the ice against a forecheck.

Our defence isn't far from perfect, I feel that we have all the pieces though. Alberts is our big, physical #6 man so we need him in the lineup instead of Rome during the playoffs. Injuries are sure to occur, we should plan for at least 2 so another bottom-4 defenceman would be perfect.

That being said, if we really want we should find a defenceman who's not necessarily a big hitter, but someone who is great along the boards and great at clearing the crease (ie. another Hamhuis) to play alongside Edler. This would let us drop Salo down to the 3rd pairing, where he would play really well with Alberts (a physical presence). Note: Ballard misses out, so maybe he would be packaged in a trade. We can't have Salo-Ballard as our bottom pairing unless Ballard is willing to play physically and hit every single shift.

We run our tough guys out of town, all we talk about is how much we want a tough guy but once we have them we just bash his skill level.

O'Brien, and Hordichuck are perfect examples, they were exactly what we are asking for now, and when we had them all we did was put down their skill levels.

We aren't the kind of team to have a designated goon, we need somebody who can actually play the game and isn't afraid to get mean when the time is right, players like Bieksa.

We run our tough guys out of town, all we talk about is how much we want a tough guy but once we have them we just bash his skill level.

O'Brien, and Hordichuck are perfect examples, they were exactly what we are asking for now, and when we had them all we did was put down their skill levels.

We aren't the kind of team to have a designated goon, we need somebody who can actually play the game and isn't afraid to get mean when the time is right, players like Bieksa.

We don't need someone mean we need the Leaugue to get rid of cheap shot artists. I love hard hits and the occasiocal "emotional" scrap. I'm getting sick of cheap shots, players taking advantage of other players postion on the ice and not having any respect for their well being. As for fighting, planned fights are dumb unless it's fights like the Foligno and Weiss fight last game. At least there a reason behind it, other than the old "we're the enforcers, let's scrap" mentality. Does the league continue to let their star players get hurt just because they don't have a mean player on their team. Stupid logic.

If we end up trading Schneids, which is a move I wouldn't be fond of but might end up being worthwhile ... package him with Ballard (so that we can dump his contract) to a team that desperately needs good goaltending and has a very solid top 4-calibre D-man available, and perhaps some other piece to offer up as a bit of compensation. Then if Salo or Hamhuis goes down, we would have a better alternative than Ballard (and I'm not suggesting that Ballard is bad or anything, he's just not proving that he's worth his contract). Something like that might end up being a good trade. Before calling me nuts and saying we need Schneids (which could very well be the case) .. I'm just speculating on a possible option.

not going to happen. i don't know why every one thinks this will happen....weber makes 7.5mil... let me do the math for ya... that is 3 mil MORE than any of our d make... and again let me do the math... we are close to the cap limit... ssooooooooo that would mean we would have to lose not one but 2 of our d to get him...so by getting webber we would lose 2 good dmen... and have to have a league minimum player which these days means they are fringe players well really they are ahl players.. so we would have a guy who can't really play in the nhl to make minimum just so you could have webber...

good call..

I think that your forgetting what Nashville is in need of... they are not looking for Dmen alone. The Preds are in need of top 6 FORWARDS, which we have a plethora of at the moment and they will obviously want to acquire another Dman to fill their void. So, we wouldn't have to lose 2 Dmen in the trade post-5758-1225601204.gif

I think it will be tough to get Weber, but it is not out of the question.... We have plenty of forwards they would be interested in, plus we can add Ballard (he's played pretty good lately and he will excel in another system because he should receive the proper minutes and pairings) and some prospects.

My math tells me that Ballards contract plus Raymonds alone(just an example) would narrow the gap quite a bit...together these two eat up 6.75 mil, plus they will probably want something more...and I'm assuming that we might get some good players, picks and prospects for one of our goalies that we could use in the trade.

Another thing, come playoff time.... Every team increases the minutes for their top pairings and drastically reduces the minutes given to the 3rd pairing, if we had Weber... I would expect the same. Hell, AV does the same in the regular season and playoffs anyways... he continues to increase minute to the top lines and diminish the minutes to the lower pairings.

So, to counter your claim... we will not need to lose 2 dmen & the cap hit Weber brings can be offset by any combinations of forwards and a Dman. Any coach or GM will accept the use of a fringe Dman(playing minimal minutes) for the skill set Weber brings and the minutes he can eat up.

Lets look at the lineup if Ballard was involved in the trade (cause we only need to trade 1 dman plus forwards):

Weber - Edler

Hamuis - Beiksa

Rome - Tanev /(Alberts)

Come playoff time, I wouldn't mind playing the top 2 lines for 50-55 minutes a game.... Hamuis/Bieksa were awesome as our top pairing in the playoffs and with the addition of Weber/Edler = best D in the league, bar none.

We don't need someone mean we need the Leaugue to get rid of cheap shot artists. I love hard hits and the occasiocal "emotional" scrap. I'm getting sick of cheap shots, players taking advantage of other players postion on the ice and not having any respect for their well being. As for fighting, planned fights are dumb unless it's fights like the Foligno and Weiss fight last game. At least there a reason behind it, other than the old "we're the enforcers, let's scrap" mentality. Does the league continue to let their star players get hurt just because they don't have a mean player on their team. Stupid logic.

Archived