The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wanted: One big bad defenceman

J.I.A.H.N

We run our tough guys out of town, all we talk about is how much we want a tough guy but once we have them we just bash his skill level.

O'Brien, and Hordichuck are perfect examples, they were exactly what we are asking for now, and when we had them all we did was put down their skill levels.

We aren't the kind of team to have a designated goon, we need somebody who can actually play the game and isn't afraid to get mean when the time is right, players like Bieksa.

Yes, people dissed Hordichuck, but there was a reason for that.

There was just something annoying about Darcy, he was always putting his foot in his mouth.

When he signed here he blabbed about how he was doing MMA training and how he was going to get in all these fights (He did the same thing when he signed with the Oilers this year) then promptly did NOTHING for the first 20 games or so. Then there was the time that he dissed Trev in an interview for NO REASON the night before they retired #16 and there was just something weird about a born again Christian who beats people up for a living.

I personally thought that Tanner Glass was great. He could take regular shift, was great in the community and would fight and hold his own with anyone.

HE was the guy that should have stayed, not Hordichuck.

My wet dreams have us getting Jamie Oleksiak. Huge at 6'7 244lbs. Very good skater for his size. He is exactly what we need. Will cost a lot though, but he can play for us for years to come.

On the realistic side of things, I still think Jurcina is our best bet. He is huge decent skater.

Just wondering what happened to Ossi Vaananen? As in why isn't he signed somewhere in the NHL?

He's only 31, but surprisingly during his time with Vancouver he only lasted 3 games. From what I recall though he was a tough Finnish shutdown D-man standing at 6'4" who could skate, and I've heard of people rating him as superior to even our beloved SOB and Alberts. Maybe it's just reputation but I think Ossi fits the bill as a feisty Finnish player who the Canucks could use, acquire for cheap (since he's in Jokerit in Finland I'm guessing that all the teams passed over him) and lay down some hammers on opponents. Plus he's got 68 points in 479 games, which is an even higher point scoring rate than Alberts. Wouldn't mind having him again though the team did waive him earlier. Was there a reason why the League's teams let him go?

Just wondering what happened to Ossi Vaananen? As in why isn't he signed somewhere in the NHL?

He's only 31, but surprisingly during his time with Vancouver he only lasted 3 games. From what I recall though he was a tough Finnish shutdown D-man standing at 6'4" who could skate, and I've heard of people rating him as superior to even our beloved SOB and Alberts. Maybe it's just reputation but I think Ossi fits the bill as a feisty Finnish player who the Canucks could use, acquire for cheap (since he's in Jokerit in Finland I'm guessing that all the teams passed over him) and lay down some hammers on opponents. Plus he's got 68 points in 479 games, which is an even higher point scoring rate than Alberts. Wouldn't mind having him again though the team did waive him earlier. Was there a reason why the League's teams let him go?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am sure everyone one is a little frustrated right now, and after watching the first 3 games vs LA and watching the other first round games through the league, it has become painfully obvious that, I might have even been a little short in asking for one " big bad D-man".

To me, it seems that we are under sized generally through out the line up, and the ones that can stand up and go to war, are trying to draw penalties by exageration after the fact, aka Kesler, Burrows, Lappy, these are our warriors, add KB to that list, and that is all. We do have Weise and Kassian, but AV will not unleash them, and if you are watching everyone else, we are the only team not doing it.

So, like I said back in October, we need that BBD and now what?

Too bad really! I love the guys, just not the right mix and/or coaching staff.

And just to add to my frustration, we trade for Kassian ( a pitbull ) and then you muzzle him so he can't bite, does that make sense to anyone? How is he able to protect anyone with his hands tied. Go down fighting boys! Go down fighting! Detroit is!

I posted this in October.....are the experts on here still thinking I am wrong?

Archived