The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wanted: One big bad defenceman

J.I.A.H.N

We are so close! And yes, I am a Canuck fan! Since the WHL days!, Which is longer than some of you are old! Anyways! It seems the peices are here, except someone who will make the opposing forwards think twice about running around near the net. Our mean guys aren't big enough and big guys are mean enough! If KB was 15 lbs heavier, or Edler had some good old Canadian toughness the problem would be solved, but we don't. And it shows.I can remember through the years many of the Stanley Cup Championships, that the champs had really one offensive Defenseman, then just some big old boys to clear the net. Even once in a while they would even come down and stand up for a smallish forward. This is one of the reasons today they don't allow the D to come into the offesive zone on a scrum.....cause they caused so much crap. I think Rome is as close as we have. And that is why AV loves him, secretly AV loved his hit on Horton, and if we would have had a couple more like him to stand up to the big old bad Bruins, we would have been lifting the Cup instead.,( Please note that the only real reason Boston won was because we were too injured) But we might not have been if the Bruin D would have thought that our D could have done the same to their smaller forwards, aka Seguin etc. They might not even had played Raymond the same way, but again once Rome was gone, they were all freebees.......and if you don't believe, just watch how the oppoition responds when Rome is out there, again that is why AV like him.Not dity, just tough! If we could get one more like him, who could start in our top 4...we would not be stopped.

FOOT NOTE: Can you imagine the crap our forwards will be able to cause if Raymond comes back healthy!

I thought Chara put that "good Canadian toughness" garbage to rest. You sure sound old.

Rome is not the answer to our physical problems. I don't think you made your point clear as to WHY he is the answer. He is not big, he does not have much of a mean streak (maybe as mean as Ballard), and his raw ability isn't that great. Work ethic and injuries gave him a chance to be a regular here, but he is really NOT the answer.

Just need to stay healthy overall.

Imo a 4-line attack will go a long way towards doing that. With Lappy and Manny playing 12-14 mins each, we don't have to play Kesler 20-24 mins a game anymore.

And if all those lines are effective, then we're not spending as much time in our own zone, allowing the defense to be more relaxed.

I didn't say Rome was the answer to our problems. I said that is why AV loves him.He is a tough, hard working #6 or7 defensemen, but everyone is always asking why AV loves him and that is why IMO But if you look at how opposing players stand up to him they usually don't much past a push. You don't have to fight to be tough.What I would like and is obtainable would be a Dan Boyle type, maybe a Burns, they are out there, but not cheap!Maybe even a young Regher??But definately a big #2 or 3.Wasn't rying to pur Rome in our top 4, and yes I am old, as you are young and don't read well!LOLPlease note I did not say Boyle or Burns, just their type! But I am willing to hear what typr you would think

But seriously, just wanted to put it out there for discussion

I thought Chara put that "good Canadian toughness" garbage to rest. You sure sound old.

Rome is not the answer to our physical problems. I don't think you made your point clear as to WHY he is the answer. He is not big, he does not have much of a mean streak (maybe as mean as Ballard), and his raw ability isn't that great. Work ethic and injuries gave him a chance to be a regular here, but he is really NOT the answer.

Agreed, I would love to see some real grit and a "meany mcnasty" on our back end. Bieksa has better numbers when he's taking numbers and being a hard ass, but he needs to step it up and get back to last seasons form.

I disagree with the Rome notion, his positional play and skill set are lacking, though he does take the opportunity to really hammer guys, he is not the answer. Edler had more of a mean streak in the playoffs than he's showing right now, but his role has changed to fill Erhoff's boots. If Edler can balance the scoring demand with some ass kicking....

I too would love to have a Pronger/ Chara type guy. But how and who? Lets be reasonable, Bieksa can get his mean on and should, but it's a combined effort, opponents need to fear our entire D, not just one player.

Archived