The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wanted: One big bad defenceman

J.I.A.H.N

It's an attitude thing, too. O'Brien had an attitude problem, but another example would be Matthew Schneider - He didn't have a team-first attitude, so he didn't stick. I wonder if that may have been (or is a continuing) issue with Ballard. I also raised the question of his work ethic, which of course got me labeled as a hater, but to me there is likely a logical reason for his icetime, and "AV has a chubby for Rome" isn't exactly a logical reason.

All I'm saying is, there are a lot of defensemen making what Ballard makes that I'd MUCH rather have on the Canucks. But while he's here, I hope he'll pick up his play.

Bieksa is mean but seems to take himself out the play to make that mean hit.

He is playing with our most reliable defenceman in Hamhuis and is still -8.

The problem we face is that our D-men our all very similar.

Yes, a big, mean defenceman who can pass is on our list.

It's an attitude thing, too. O'Brien had an attitude problem, but another example would be Matthew Schneider - He didn't have a team-first attitude, so he didn't stick. I wonder if that may have been (or is a continuing) issue with Ballard. I also raised the question of his work ethic, which of course got me labeled as a hater, but to me there is likely a logical reason for his icetime, and "AV has a chubby for Rome" isn't exactly a logical reason.

All I'm saying is, there are a lot of defensemen making what Ballard makes that I'd MUCH rather have on the Canucks. But while he's here, I hope he'll pick up his play.

<br />Shea Weber is leaving Nashville, he's done there just look at his play right now. He seems dissinterested expecially in the game against the Canucks were he cost his team a few goals.

the way shea weber is playing right now,does not mean that he is leaving nashville.

nobody here really knows that shea weber wants out of nashville,people need to stop acting like they know.

Ballard hasn't been able to adjust to the system offensively. He doesn't understand how to move the puck within the team concept. He tends to hold the puck longer throwing his teammates out of rhythm with the play. Been plain as day since last season but I chalked it up to being traded to a new team. To me it looks like his conditioning is better so his defensive play has been more active and better overall. His hip may have been bothering him last season too. Offensively though, he seems like the defenseman version of Lappierre. Very north south and not much passing.

We are so close! And yes, I am a Canuck fan! Since the WHL days!, Which is longer than some of you are old! Anyways! It seems the peices are here, except someone who will make the opposing forwards think twice about running around near the net. Our mean guys aren't big enough and big guys are mean enough! If KB was 15 lbs heavier, or Edler had some good old Canadian toughness the problem would be solved, but we don't. And it shows.I can remember through the years many of the Stanley Cup Championships, that the champs had really one offensive Defenseman, then just some big old boys to clear the net. Even once in a while they would even come down and stand up for a smallish forward. This is one of the reasons today they don't allow the D to come into the offesive zone on a scrum.....cause they caused so much crap. I think Rome is as close as we have. And that is why AV loves him, secretly AV loved his hit on Horton, and if we would have had a couple more like him to stand up to the big old bad Bruins, we would have been lifting the Cup instead.,( Please note that the only real reason Boston won was because we were too injured) But we might not have been if the Bruin D would have thought that our D could have done the same to their smaller forwards, aka Seguin etc. They might not even had played Raymond the same way, but again once Rome was gone, they were all freebees.......and if you don't believe, just watch how the oppoition responds when Rome is out there, again that is why AV like him.Not dity, just tough! If we could get one more like him, who could start in our top 4...we would not be stopped.

FOOT NOTE: Can you imagine the crap our forwards will be able to cause if Raymond comes back healthy!

Don't get me wrong, I like our D-men. Jury is still out on Ballard for what he gets paid, but all in all, a solid group. When I look at Edler, I see a player who is bordering, but not there yet. He is big, and hits like a mule ( when he does) And his shot is major league. I think the thing that he lacks is the knowledge that he is that good and can do it when ever he pleases ( within reason). I am reminded of a little gem he showed a few games ago, when he basically went end to end. Very pretty! But Edler will never be known as the mean stay away from d-man. ( unless you're trying to block his shot, cause you will want to stay away from that!) No, what I am looking for is a big guy, at least 225, that can play regular minutes without hurting us. Someone that if you cut through the middle of the deap slot, when Lui is collecting a rebound, and you look like you might make a play on Lui, will come across and knock you out of your skates. I really don't see that on the Canucks. KB just isn't big enough for that, and sort of reminds me of a mean dog that isn't quite big enough to be a big dog......but don't put your hand in to pet him...cause he still has a nasty bite. All the rest of the regular D-men remind me that they are a little the same kind of offensive, none agressive type..until you get down to Rome, Sultzer? and Alberts, who have limitaions, and are not top 4 type players. But don't get me wrong, I don't want to blow up the D=men core, just tweet it a little..

I think the only point that can be argued here is that Edler isn't tough. You might want to say he's not mean enough but he's tough as nails. He steam rolled players in both the Chicago and Nashville series last year. I believe he'll get there too, Edler's development isn't done

Could you be any more ignorant and racist?

???? ping pong? You mentioned he might be posting from Korea, and then mention ping pong? The country you're thinking of might be China.

And somehow you assume only Canadian players are tough and mean?

You must be one of those morons who thinks that only teams with Canadian captains win the Stanley cup, or that all Europeans are ballerinas, and that visors are for pussies.

While I agree it would be great to have a hard-hitting right=handed defenceman who inspires fear into the oppositions's forwards, I personally don't give a crap where he's from as long as he plays with heart and steps up in the playoffs.

Who the hell are you to call anyone a racist? The knob I was responded to was bashing the OP for trying to articulate his position. There seems to be a lot of New Canadians on this site that seem to think that us old guys know nothing about the great Canadian game and show a lack of respect for the history and traditions for the game. I dont give a crap if you call me a racist, you mean nothing to me.

Liberal Fool.

Are you posting from Korea? Obviously you are out of touch with what this team needs. The OP has been watching this team and has been a fan of the great Canadian game longer than you have been alive. He sure as hell does not have to answer to a smart ass Johnny come lately like you.

Stick to your ping pong and soccer.

If only we can get Ohlund as one of our bottom pairing guys. He's big, he hits and he's defensively reliable.

Not as fleet of foot anymore (how he was like a pylon during the first Chicago series), but for a tight-checking, gooning it up type of series (like Boston and Nashville), he first right in. Unfortunately, his contract is long and he's still being paid a lot in actual dollars.

Who knows... maybe someday he'll return to the Vancouver, help win the cup and then retire as a Canuck :towel:

The next I wouldn't mind back on the Canucks would be Bryan Allen. He's big and he has a mean-streak. He's in the final year of his contract and has a cap hit of almost 3million. Might not be a bad fit with someone like Ballard. Have Ballard skating with the puck, etc.... and then have Allen as the stay at home guy. Plus, didn't they play together for a bit back in Florida?

Archived