Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Wanted: One big bad defenceman

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
135 replies to this topic

#121 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:25 AM

That just creates another problem, that is a horrible bottom pairing for a top team.

I only used Rome/Tanev (Alberts) because I don't know who MG will get for Schneids.... I'm assuming that MG will want a Dman included in the trade, with a healthy Booth.... our top 6 looks good and Schneids is worth a hell of a lot more than the best 4th liner in the NHL.

- Healthy Booth, our top 3 forward lines are good.
- Goaltending is fine with Lou and Lack
- D needs to be addressed
- 4th line needs to be addressed.

Schneids is worth quite a bit on the market and I'm not trying to assume who MG will acquire in the trade... all I know is that Schneids > a solid 4th liner and a solid 3rd pairing Dman.

But, I think we still have a better chance with Weber/Edler, Hamuis/Bieksa, Rome/Tanev (Alberts) than we do with our current Dmen.... I would still want to upgrade the 3rd pairing, but.... with Weber in the lineup, how many minutes do you think they would get anyways?

#122 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:29 AM

That just creates another problem, that is a horrible bottom pairing for a top team.

Also overloading your top guys will just cause injury and fatigue, lose-lose situation.

I'm not talking about the regular season... It's the playoffs. Every team will overload their top guys in the playoffs, this is a fact. I would expect no less from AV and remember that we would actually carry two top lines here. Most teams have one top line that carries them through the playoffs...

#123 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

He just signed with the wings July 1st.

He is there only real tough guy and is staying.

Matt Carkner for #6 spot for us. The guy KO'd Boogaard....

I've always though Carkner was the guy for us,

I wonder what the Sens would want for him?

#124 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:01 AM

We run our tough guys out of town, all we talk about is how much we want a tough guy but once we have them we just bash his skill level.
O'Brien, and Hordichuck are perfect examples, they were exactly what we are asking for now, and when we had them all we did was put down their skill levels.

We aren't the kind of team to have a designated goon, we need somebody who can actually play the game and isn't afraid to get mean when the time is right, players like Bieksa.

Yes, people dissed Hordichuck, but there was a reason for that.

There was just something annoying about Darcy, he was always putting his foot in his mouth.

When he signed here he blabbed about how he was doing MMA training and how he was going to get in all these fights (He did the same thing when he signed with the Oilers this year) then promptly did NOTHING for the first 20 games or so. Then there was the time that he dissed Trev in an interview for NO REASON the night before they retired #16 and there was just something weird about a born again Christian who beats people up for a living.

I personally thought that Tanner Glass was great. He could take regular shift, was great in the community and would fight and hold his own with anyone.

HE was the guy that should have stayed, not Hordichuck.

#125 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:06 AM

Yes, people dissed Hordichuck, but there was a reason for that.

There was just something annoying about Darcy, he was always putting his foot in his mouth.

When he signed here he blabbed about how he was doing MMA training and how he was going to get in all these fights (He did the same thing when he signed with the Oilers this year) then promptly did NOTHING for the first 20 games or so. Then there was the time that he dissed Trev in an interview for NO REASON the night before they retired #16 and there was just something weird about a born again Christian who beats people up for a living.

I personally thought that Tanner Glass was great. He could take regular shift, was great in the community and would fight and hold his own with anyone.

HE was the guy that should have stayed, not Hordichuck.

His Fiancee should have stayed. She's gorgeous. Bumped into them on Seymour one time and MAN she was smoking hot.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#126 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:15 AM

His Fiancee should have stayed. She's gorgeous. Bumped into them on Seymour one time and MAN she was smoking hot.

The Asian chick?

#127 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

What about Joe Finley on the Sabres? 6'8 247lbs i was watching the flyers/bruins game last night, Rinaldo took a run at Ennis and Finley went right over and absolutely murdered him

Don't fancy him. He's not really NHL top bracket. In fact he only seems to have had 4 fights and got creamed by Bissonette.

We had a guy who was pretty good at sticking up for his team mates, maybe we should give Rob Davison another shot. He fought Parros, McIntyre, Thornton, Jackman and Schenn and came out of all the fights in good shape

89th O/A draft. at 6'-3" and 220lbs

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Rob_Davison
Kevin.jpg

#128 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:31 AM

WE still need that big dman , a number 4 or 5

#129 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:49 AM

My wet dreams have us getting Jamie Oleksiak. Huge at 6'7 244lbs. Very good skater for his size. He is exactly what we need. Will cost a lot though, but he can play for us for years to come.

On the realistic side of things, I still think Jurcina is our best bet. He is huge decent skater.

Edited by CHIPS, 22 December 2011 - 03:50 AM.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#130 cool story bro

cool story bro

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:21 AM

You sure sound old.

This
Posted Image

#131 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,122 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

Connauton?

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#132 Sageofwisdom

Sageofwisdom

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:02 AM

The Canucks should go after Bryan Allen around the deadline

if not

Cory Sarich would probably come cheap

Um no

I just don't know how fitting their salaries in for the last two months quite works.

#133 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

Just wondering what happened to Ossi Vaananen? As in why isn't he signed somewhere in the NHL?

He's only 31, but surprisingly during his time with Vancouver he only lasted 3 games. From what I recall though he was a tough Finnish shutdown D-man standing at 6'4" who could skate, and I've heard of people rating him as superior to even our beloved SOB and Alberts. Maybe it's just reputation but I think Ossi fits the bill as a feisty Finnish player who the Canucks could use, acquire for cheap (since he's in Jokerit in Finland I'm guessing that all the teams passed over him) and lay down some hammers on opponents. Plus he's got 68 points in 479 games, which is an even higher point scoring rate than Alberts. Wouldn't mind having him again though the team did waive him earlier. Was there a reason why the League's teams let him go?

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#134 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

Just wondering what happened to Ossi Vaananen? As in why isn't he signed somewhere in the NHL?

He's only 31, but surprisingly during his time with Vancouver he only lasted 3 games. From what I recall though he was a tough Finnish shutdown D-man standing at 6'4" who could skate, and I've heard of people rating him as superior to even our beloved SOB and Alberts. Maybe it's just reputation but I think Ossi fits the bill as a feisty Finnish player who the Canucks could use, acquire for cheap (since he's in Jokerit in Finland I'm guessing that all the teams passed over him) and lay down some hammers on opponents. Plus he's got 68 points in 479 games, which is an even higher point scoring rate than Alberts. Wouldn't mind having him again though the team did waive him earlier. Was there a reason why the League's teams let him go?

Good call. Almost forgot about him. But my guess is AV and MG had solid reasons to let him go.

We could use this though.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#135 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:48 AM

I still think we could use one!

#136 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

I am sure everyone one is a little frustrated right now, and after watching the first 3 games vs LA and watching the other first round games through the league, it has become painfully obvious that, I might have even been a little short in asking for one " big bad D-man".

To me, it seems that we are under sized generally through out the line up, and the ones that can stand up and go to war, are trying to draw penalties by exageration after the fact, aka Kesler, Burrows, Lappy, these are our warriors, add KB to that list, and that is all. We do have Weise and Kassian, but AV will not unleash them, and if you are watching everyone else, we are the only team not doing it.

So, like I said back in October, we need that BBD and now what?

Too bad really! I love the guys, just not the right mix and/or coaching staff.

And just to add to my frustration, we trade for Kassian ( a pitbull ) and then you muzzle him so he can't bite, does that make sense to anyone? How is he able to protect anyone with his hands tied. Go down fighting boys! Go down fighting! Detroit is!

I posted this in October.....are the experts on here still thinking I am wrong?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.