The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wanted: One big bad defenceman

J.I.A.H.N

We have all the pieces we need in our defence right now. It all depends on how they perform. When they're playing physical our D is arguably the best in the league. When they're scrambling out of position they're easily the worst (we've seen their bad side these last few games).

Bieksa - a nightmare in front of the net for forwards when he's on his game.

Hamhuis - great defensive positioning and hard hip checks along with the best board play in the league.

Edler - consistently delivers painful huge hits.

Ballard - hip checking expert

Rome - has delivered the occasional giant hit

Alberts - absolutely crushes players, but rarely and often caught out of position.

The only defenceman out of our bunch who can't throw a hit consistently is Salo, but he easily makes up for it. The only problem is, we more consistency of hits out of guys like Hamhuis, Ballard and Bieksa. The occasional hip-check is great for the fans, but doesn't wear down opposing teams forwards quite like the consistent punishment Weber and Chara deliver (eg. in front of the net, crunching forwards along the boards every single play etc.)

Edler throws big hits, yes, but Alberts is the only guy on this team who really crunches guys into the boards every time they go behind our net, which is what we need from guys like Bieksa, Hamhuis and Ballard. Sure they're trying to be sound positionally and not get caught out, but they have to adjust and one of them has to go in for the hit, because over time in a 7-game series this wears down forwards. Its the only reason our forwards couldn't score in the SCF and theirs could. We were punished - they were not.

I thought Chara put that "good Canadian toughness" garbage to rest. You sure sound old.

Rome is not the answer to our physical problems. I don't think you made your point clear as to WHY he is the answer. He is not big, he does not have much of a mean streak (maybe as mean as Ballard), and his raw ability isn't that great. Work ethic and injuries gave him a chance to be a regular here, but he is really NOT the answer.

Here ia my thoughts on your defencemen strengths: my opinions only

Bieksa- mean average size D-man ( -7) average top2/3 d-man, any team would take him, but he is not a #1

Hamhuis-good positional D-man, average top 2/3 d-man, any team would take him, not a #1. I havn't seen any hip checks this year

Edler-full of potential, needs to believe, could be a #1 d-man in the league, if he took the next step, not sure he is a #1 d-man yet???close

Ballard- high risk,inconsistant, great hip checks, has to convince the NHL that they are legal, cause they are not sure ( I love them!) , not a #4

Salo- old #1 or #2 ( like me), not suppose to put himself in position to be hit, smart, positional, sure hope he stays healthy, great shot ( Hope Edler watches him)

Rome-journeyman d-man, hits well, a little slow, is where he is because that is what he is. I love his team first attitude.

Alberts-love his try, don't why he is not better, probably bad decisions, he's got the rest to be a # 5

Sultzer -too early, gotta trust AV on this one, doesn't look to be a #4 or better

Tanev - Derserves to be on the team, but he is down in the AHL to play, I think he is perfect for the new NHL, probably #5 or #6 right now.

Now collectively, they are pretty strong group, but they didn't replace Erhoff. This is where that big strong mean d-man could come in handy, has to be a true top 4, but you are all right, what would be the cost? And how would it affect the cap! But if I could trade Ballard, I would, but his contract gets in the way, maybe his rep, also So, if you do, you are going to add a draft pick or another player to the trade

quotname='DownUndaCanuck' timestamp='1320156858' post='10124121']

We have all the pieces we need in our defence right now. It all depends on how they perform. When they're playing physical our D is arguably the best in the league. When they're scrambling out of position they're easily the worst (we've seen their bad side these last few games).

Bieksa - a nightmare in front of the net for forwards when he's on his game.

Hamhuis - great defensive positioning and hard hip checks along with the best board play in the league.

Edler - consistently delivers painful huge hits.

Ballard - hip checking expert

Rome - has delivered the occasional giant hit

Alberts - absolutely crushes players, but rarely and often caught out of position.

The only defenceman out of our bunch who can't throw a hit consistently is Salo, but he easily makes up for it. The only problem is, we more consistency of hits out of guys like Hamhuis, Ballard and Bieksa. The occasional hip-check is great for the fans, but doesn't wear down opposing teams forwards quite like the consistent punishment Weber and Chara deliver (eg. in front of the net, crunching forwards along the boards every single play etc.)

Edler throws big hits, yes, but Alberts is the only guy on this team who really crunches guys into the boards every time they go behind our net, which is what we need from guys like Bieksa, Hamhuis and Ballard. Sure they're trying to be sound positionally and not get caught out, but they have to adjust and one of them has to go in for the hit, because over time in a 7-game series this wears down forwards. Its the only reason our forwards couldn't score in the SCF and theirs could. We were punished - they were not.

• 1 month later...

We are so close! And yes, I am a Canuck fan! Since the WHL days!, Which is longer than some of you are old! Anyways! It seems the peices are here, except someone who will make the opposing forwards think twice about running around near the net. Our mean guys aren't big enough and big guys are mean enough! If KB was 15 lbs heavier, or Edler had some good old Canadian toughness the problem would be solved, but we don't. And it shows.I can remember through the years many of the Stanley Cup Championships, that the champs had really one offensive Defenseman, then just some big old boys to clear the net. Even once in a while they would even come down and stand up for a smallish forward. This is one of the reasons today they don't allow the D to come into the offesive zone on a scrum.....cause they caused so much crap. I think Rome is as close as we have. And that is why AV loves him, secretly AV loved his hit on Horton, and if we would have had a couple more like him to stand up to the big old bad Bruins, we would have been lifting the Cup instead.,( Please note that the only real reason Boston won was because we were too injured) But we might not have been if the Bruin D would have thought that our D could have done the same to their smaller forwards, aka Seguin etc. They might not even had played Raymond the same way, but again once Rome was gone, they were all freebees.......and if you don't believe, just watch how the oppoition responds when Rome is out there, again that is why AV like him.Not dity, just tough! If we could get one more like him, who could start in our top 4...we would not be stopped.

FOOT NOTE: Can you imagine the crap our forwards will be able to cause if Raymond comes back healthy!

I have a feeling our current defencemen will play a lot meaner and a lot more physical in the playoffs.

We've seen Edler can really dish out big hits in the playoffs so he's not a concern. He and his partner are fine.

Hamhuis doesn't often hit consistently in the playoffs because he's busy being sound positionally.

Bieksa can really thrive in the intensity of the playoffs so that pairing is fine.

For the 3rd pairing, Ballard doesn't hit much but Rome and Alberts are both big hitters so we're fine.

As for crease-clearing, Hamhuis-Bieksa are our best defencemen at that. Ballard is alright but Rome and Alberts have a tough time, often screening our goalie so our 3rd pairing needs help clearing the crease effectively. As for Edler and Salo, they aren't very physical infront of the net, especially Salo who is often jostled out of position which costed us many goals against Boston. Ehrhoff was especially terrible in this department.

As for board play, Salo and Hamhuis are two of the best in the league IMO, they make clever small passes to aleviate pressure really well. Bieksa and Edler have shown they really crumble under pressure and a strong forecheck, but with their good partners they shouldn't be an issue. Then there's Ballard, who is a smooth skater but can fall under pressure as well as Rome. He did, however, work really well with Tanev to get the puck out of the zone, but Ballard-Rome/Alberts are overall terrible in moving the puck up the ice against a forecheck.

Our defence isn't far from perfect, I feel that we have all the pieces though. Alberts is our big, physical #6 man so we need him in the lineup instead of Rome during the playoffs. Injuries are sure to occur, we should plan for at least 2 so another bottom-4 defenceman would be perfect.

That being said, if we really want we should find a defenceman who's not necessarily a big hitter, but someone who is great along the boards and great at clearing the crease (ie. another Hamhuis) to play alongside Edler. This would let us drop Salo down to the 3rd pairing, where he would play really well with Alberts (a physical presence). Note: Ballard misses out, so maybe he would be packaged in a trade. We can't have Salo-Ballard as our bottom pairing unless Ballard is willing to play physically and hit every single shift.

Yes, it would certainly be amazing if the Canucks could manage to get a big bad defenseman.

Somebody that stands out....like when you think of Toronto you think Phaneuf, and when you think Winnipeg you think of Byfuglien, and Boston is Chara, etc.

Although, the Canucks have a strong D core, and guys that can be tough when needed. If Bieksa played angry all the time he would be scary. If Alberts used his size to his advantage he could come up big, too.

As a Canucks fan though I'm pretty content with what the D core is doing right now. Lots of offensive production.

Part of the Canuck injury problems these last few years - no we aren't cursed - is that teams think nothing of roughing us up. Just get some players who won't take s%@t. The turn the other cheek is great, but we take too many injuries turning the other cheek.

I'm not a proponent of fighting in the game, but you need to meet a belligerent attack with a like response. You have to push back - a big hit, after the whistle stuff, whatever. not because of any stupid "canadian" old-time hockey bs. just because if you don't then teams will play that way to beat you, and you get injuries.

booth injury: if the opportunity comes up, lots of players will stick it to the canucks, cause there is no thought of any repercussion. this is a perfect example!!! obviously the offending player didn't need to do it, but wasn't worried too much about it either.

Archived