189 replies to this topic

#1 Vern Fonk

Vern Fonk

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

I don't know if I'm the only one who shook his head in disbelief when Gillis pulled the trigger for David Booth.
Booth was a decent player pre-concussion(s) but he's not been the same player since and he's one concussion shy ending his career like Lafontaine & Kariya.
Even though Samuelson had some flaws I firmly believe his playoff experience alone would have made it worthwhile to keep him around.
I will go on the record to state this trade will eventually bite us in the butt when Booth ends up being a bust and end up being a non factor/fit.
To make things even worse is the fact Booth is making big bucks while Samuelson was on the last year of his deal.

If Booth some way miraculously ends up proving me wrong later down the road I'll eat crow.
But, for now this is not looking like how Gillis envisioned when he did the transaction with Florida.
I also believe Stuurm was given the short end of the stick.

#2 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

POPULAR

You don't have a freaking clue what you're talking about.

Booth>>>>>>>Samuelsson.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#3 niklas

niklas

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Omg.....

#4 kanucks25

kanucks25

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,301 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

POPULAR

Samuelsson is a better player than what most Canucks fans give him credit for. But unfortunately, he didn't really fit the team because Sammy and Kesler just doesn't work.

Give Booth some time, Booth - Kesler - Hodgson will be great.

Posted Image

#5 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

POPULAR

Sturm >> NHL

#6 JPizzle

JPizzle

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

lmao - delusional - hahaha

#7 MashedBananas

MashedBananas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

Samuelsson last year and this year too was a plug. He had one good year with us and that was it.
Posted Image

Sig Credit goes to Henrik Sedin

#8 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

POPULAR

Exhibit C in the "Tar & Feather the New Guy". Three games in and already calling it a bust.

I liked Samuelsson a lot, and I agree that I'll miss his playoff pedigree, but you're prematurely writing him off. Look no further than the progression of Higgins from last season until now.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#9 Try Again

Try Again

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

I don't know if I'm the only one who shook his head in disbelief when Gillis pulled the trigger for David Booth.
Booth was a decent player pre-concussion(s) but he's not been the same player since and he's one concussion shy ending his career like Lafontaine & Kariya.
Even though Samuelson had some flaws I firmly believe his playoff experience alone would have made it worthwhile to keep him around.
I will go on the record to state this trade will eventually bite us in the butt when Booth ends up being a bust and end up being a non factor/fit.
To make things even worse is the fact Booth is making big bucks while Samuelson was on the last year of his deal.

If Booth some way miraculously ends up proving me wrong later down the road I'll eat crow.
But, for now this is not looking like how Gillis envisioned when he did the transaction with Florida.

samuelsson wasn't going to be re-signed after this year anyways
Posted Image

#10 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

POPULAR

I'm saving my negatives for even much more stupider threads Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#11 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

POPULAR

I would never regret trading a pending UFA ( make that two) for a top 6 forward who is 9 years younger.
Posted Image

#12 Razorghost

Razorghost

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

POPULAR

Don't forget we also got our 3rd r pick back.

Sturm got a shot here and just didn't fit in, he is not worth the 2.25 mil contract he signed, we signed him for free and got to unload him thank god.

Samuelson was ok for us but streaky at times, he could have walked at season's end and we end up with nothing for him.

Booth came back from his concussion and played a full season, he got 20 goals and 40 pts, not bad for your 1st season back from a major concussion.

If we had traded Hodgson or a 1st r pick for Booth than I could see a major risk involved but for what we gave up to get Booth it's not really a big risk at all.
Posted Image

#13 Hodgson

Hodgson

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

wow, people can be so clueless

Cody "Coho" Hodgson

Parksy's The Man!

#14 Shea Weber

Shea Weber

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

Posted Image

Marek Hamsik say's You crazy and i have nice hair!

Edited by WatchAnWalk, 02 November 2011 - 02:24 PM.

Posted Image
Credit goes to: GoaltenderInterfernce

#15 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

you funny..........

in a really *&%#ing stupid way
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#16 Bigturk8

Bigturk8

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

I can't wait to see you eat a crow!

Edited by Bigturk8, 02 November 2011 - 02:32 PM.

Posted Image

#16 is skeptical about the validity of your post...

#17 sharnhayre

sharnhayre

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

You could say that about any player in any sport... that they are one concussion away from retirement...

The only positive Samuelsson brought to the team was playoff experience... BUT with the long run we had last year.... majority of our team has playoff experience and knows what it takes. Samuelsson is an UFA at the end of the year.... I would rather get something for him then let him walk for nothing...

Sturm gave himself the short end of the stick by being given a solid chance at a comeback with an elite team, and he choked.

#18 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

Samuelsson's playoff experience necessary? You're right, the entire team making it to game 7 of the SCF isn't experience.
"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#19 No_More_Larchide

No_More_Larchide

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:27 PM

I hate the playoff experience argument...

The entire team played 20+ games last season alone in the playoffs... We have experience.

/thread

Moron
Larchide is spelled wrong on purpose....

#20 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,769 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

Samuelsson was solid for us but he is clearly not the same as two years ago. We were in all likelihood not going to re-sign him, which would leave a gap in our top 6.

What Gillis did was trade a pending 36 year old UFA in return for a young, bonafide top 6 player with tremendous speed and upside who is locked up for several years at a reasonable price as opposed to having to scramble to make a trade or overspend on a UFA later.

Brilliant management.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#21 Sick Hands

Sick Hands

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

why do people still bring up " experience" like its some rare asset...

our WHOLE team basically has stanley cup experience...what we need is grit and toughness to compliment our skill

A Toast to Aquillini for getting Torterella.

An owner who knows what the people want.

That's entertainment.

#22 Vaeneir

Vaeneir

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

I disagree.

Samuelson was brought on board due to his Cup Finals experience. Now that 90% of our team has been to game 7 of a cup final, they no longer need a player like Samuelson to coach them through.

Samuelson's production the first year here was above and beyond our expectations. He matched his point total the following year, but his goal total dropped and many of his assists came due to Kesler's emergence. He has started a decline, which is perfectly normal for a guy his age. Booth has in the past exceeded Samuelson's season high pts totals without relying on high quality teammates, and since his concussion has demonstrated at least equivalent output to what we could hope to get out of Samuelson, with greater reliability in terms of staying healthy.

Booth is still developing, a young power forward. Samuelson is on the decline; he deserves a vacation.

I liked Samuelson while he was a part of this team, but the guy infuriated me sometimes. I wish him the best and hope that Florida's young players can learn from his experience. However, I am glad we have Booth instead.

#23 Benzito

Benzito

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

Almost the entire roster has Stanley Cup Finals Experience.

So to keep him in an Orca simply because he has playoff experience is unnecessary.

Posted Image

"You find out life's this game of inches, so is hockey. Because in either game - life or hockey - the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don't quite make it. One half second too slow, too fast and you don't quite save it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break of the game, every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches, that's gonna make the f-ing difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!"

#24 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:36 PM

Difference between Booth and Samuelsson, in last nites game Booth drew 2 penalties, Sammy would have taken 2 penalties cause he was too slow to do anything else. If u haven't seen an improvement you are blind.

#25 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,691 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

I am sure Mark Crawford is looking forward to you "eating" him .. me?? .. not so much .. but if you could video it and post here I am sure many would find it amusing ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#26 themonicator

themonicator

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

For the record, Nathan Horton was traded to the Bruins last year and he has never took part in the playoffs when he was a Panther. Look where he ended up.

Seriously, it's way too early to judge Booth. Besides, so far he's been doing an okay job in the second line. He's been driving in the net. and getting some good scoring chances.

Posted Image

Our Prospects

#27 WhereIsStanley

WhereIsStanley

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

Difference between Booth and Samuelsson, in last nites game Booth drew 2 penalties, Sammy would have taken 2 penalties cause he was too slow to do anything else. If u haven't seen an improvement you are blind.

The other nice thing about Booth is his level of compete. Sammy was slow, and always looked outclassed when on the ice against faster opponents. In our Blog (HERE) we talked about the play last night where Booth had the stick slashed out of his hands, and just kept playing without even looking at the ref..... hard to imagine Sammy doing the same thing.....

http://whereisstanle...november-1.html

#28 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

The other nice thing about Booth is his level of compete. Sammy was slow, and always looked outclassed when on the ice against faster opponents. In our Blog (HERE) we talked about the play last night where Booth had the stick slashed out of his hands, and just kept playing without even looking at the ref..... hard to imagine Sammy doing the same thing.....

http://whereisstanle...november-1.html

Or Kesler for that matter. Always looking to the ref...
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#29 Nice2Mitra

Nice2Mitra

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

Be patient. This is his first trade, so he's probably going to need sometime to get accustomed to the team/city/system. I'm sure you were saying bad things about Higgins and Lapierre when they came over last year, but look at them now. Refreshed, and looking way better compared to last year.

He'll be fine, just give him some time.
Posted Image

#30 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

ugh

i have trouble trying to think of a player with less impact than samuelsson on our 2nd line... or GOD FORBID that powerplay experiment went on for one more day.

the trade was a steal, and NOBODY will regret it on Van's side.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.