The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks Will End Up Regretting Trading Samuelson

Vern Fonk

I disagree.

Samuelson was brought on board due to his Cup Finals experience. Now that 90% of our team has been to game 7 of a cup final, they no longer need a player like Samuelson to coach them through.

Samuelson's production the first year here was above and beyond our expectations. He matched his point total the following year, but his goal total dropped and many of his assists came due to Kesler's emergence. He has started a decline, which is perfectly normal for a guy his age. Booth has in the past exceeded Samuelson's season high pts totals without relying on high quality teammates, and since his concussion has demonstrated at least equivalent output to what we could hope to get out of Samuelson, with greater reliability in terms of staying healthy.

Booth is still developing, a young power forward. Samuelson is on the decline; he deserves a vacation.

I liked Samuelson while he was a part of this team, but the guy infuriated me sometimes. I wish him the best and hope that Florida's young players can learn from his experience. However, I am glad we have Booth instead.

For the record, Nathan Horton was traded to the Bruins last year and he has never took part in the playoffs when he was a Panther. Look where he ended up.

Seriously, it's way too early to judge Booth. Besides, so far he's been doing an okay job in the second line. He's been driving in the net. and getting some good scoring chances.

The other nice thing about Booth is his level of compete. Sammy was slow, and always looked outclassed when on the ice against faster opponents. In our Blog (HERE) we talked about the play last night where Booth had the stick slashed out of his hands, and just kept playing without even looking at the ref..... hard to imagine Sammy doing the same thing.....

http://whereisstanleycanucks.blogspot.com/2011/11/calgary-flames-vs-canucks-november-1.html

Be patient. This is his first trade, so he's probably going to need sometime to get accustomed to the team/city/system. I'm sure you were saying bad things about Higgins and Lapierre when they came over last year, but look at them now. Refreshed, and looking way better compared to last year.

He'll be fine, just give him some time.

To me, it was pretty clear that Samuelsson had no leg speed left this season. Whether it was the injury or it was age, the only effective part of his game that I saw was his shot, and trading hit shot for a skating, grinding second line winger thats 9 years younger and fits under the cap and makes Kesler happy and makes the fans happy and... okay, enough "and"s, you're wrong.

I liked Sammy, but it's just unfortunate the Canucks couldn't get him when he was still in his 20s. He had enough gas in the tank for, given the opportunity, one good season, but he's clearly past his prime and the deal also involved Sturm, who was also past it. As a result, picking up Booth, a younger, faster guy was a good move. Samuelsson was just too old to be a top 6 and wasn't working with Kesler at all. Having a veteran for the playoffs is great, but it has to be the right kind of veteran. Samuelsson and John Madden are 2 different players and the latter is more valuable than the former.

Why the heck would we regret trading two washed up slow vets who will both be UFA's by the end of the season, for a 27 yr old powerforward that gives Kesler a legit winger that we've all been wanting for?? The 2nd line looks sooo much faster and when Booth and Kesler develop a chemistry, i think it will be a great 2nd line.

Have people forgotten how much of a defensive liabilty Sammuelsson was? He makes Brunnete's skating like he was Pavel Bure in his prime. aside from his great wrist shot, he does nothing else for the team.

Archived