189 replies to this topic

#31 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

Almost the entire roster has Stanley Cup Finals Experience.

So to keep him in an Orca simply because he has playoff experience is unnecessary.

I hate it when people bring up the 'experience' argument. It's so overrated, Sammuelsson winning a cup with Detroit does nothing for our team lol.

#32 The Back Up

The Back Up

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

To me, it was pretty clear that Samuelsson had no leg speed left this season. Whether it was the injury or it was age, the only effective part of his game that I saw was his shot, and trading hit shot for a skating, grinding second line winger thats 9 years younger and fits under the cap and makes Kesler happy and makes the fans happy and... okay, enough "and"s, you're wrong.
I like to think I'm not being silly. Tell me if I'm wrong.

"So, all I need is a lot of water and tartar sauce." Alex Moran, Blue Mountain State, greatest back up ever

#33 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,454 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

I was willing to accept that the Ballard/Grabner trade was a bit risky

But Booth is a better player than Sammy ever was or will be and he's younger, more motivated, faster, and more skilled.

We won this trade
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#34 surfer53

surfer53

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

I liked Sammy, but it's just unfortunate the Canucks couldn't get him when he was still in his 20s. He had enough gas in the tank for, given the opportunity, one good season, but he's clearly past his prime and the deal also involved Sturm, who was also past it. As a result, picking up Booth, a younger, faster guy was a good move. Samuelsson was just too old to be a top 6 and wasn't working with Kesler at all. Having a veteran for the playoffs is great, but it has to be the right kind of veteran. Samuelsson and John Madden are 2 different players and the latter is more valuable than the former.

#35 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

Why the heck would we regret trading two washed up slow vets who will both be UFA's by the end of the season, for a 27 yr old powerforward that gives Kesler a legit winger that we've all been wanting for?? The 2nd line looks sooo much faster and when Booth and Kesler develop a chemistry, i think it will be a great 2nd line.

Have people forgotten how much of a defensive liabilty Sammuelsson was? He makes Brunnete's skating like he was Pavel Bure in his prime. aside from his great wrist shot, he does nothing else for the team.

Edited by VCanuck, 02 November 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#36 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

I'm sure MG will make a deadline trade getting Samuelsson back (offensive depth for the playoffs).
Parent + 4th round pick (or something like that) for Samuelsson.
Salary cap space permitting.
:emot-parrot:

#37 funkmaster_dunc

funkmaster_dunc

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

This trade is a no brainer. Did we really move a guy that has lost a step and a project player who we saved from going to play overseas somewhere for a top six forward on any team in this league?

Gillis should be commended for this

Booth will work out. The guy is Kesler lite

Edited by funkmaster_dunc, 02 November 2011 - 02:56 PM.

#38 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,523 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#39 funkmaster_dunc

funkmaster_dunc

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

I'm sure MG will make a deadline trade getting Samuelsson back (offensive depth for the playoffs).
Parent + 4th round pick (or something like that) for Samuelsson.
Salary cap space permitting.
:emot-parrot:

Really?????? Worst comment ever

#40 Schneider's Teeth

Schneider's Teeth

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

Almost every single player on the Canucks has gotten to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. I think Samuelsson's experience can be replaced.
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
OVERSIZED SIGNATURE OVERSIZED SIGNATURE

#41 bronski beat

bronski beat

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

ya samuelsson and his "playoff experiance" does anyone remember what line he played on in the playoffs last year. the fourth

#42 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,489 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

I'll say it again. Samuelsson was completely useless last year, he is a selfish player and atrocious defensively. I could care less if he had 50 points and played well in one playoff series. It was disgusting to watch him play hockey. Open your eyes and watch the games man.

The End!
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#43 Molli

Molli

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

I don't know if I'm the only one who shook his head in disbelief when Gillis pulled the trigger for David Booth.
Booth was a decent player pre-concussion(s) but he's not been the same player since and he's one concussion shy ending his career like Lafontaine & Kariya.
Even though Samuelson had some flaws I firmly believe his playoff experience alone would have made it worthwhile to keep him around.
I will go on the record to state this trade will eventually bite us in the butt when Booth ends up being a bust and end up being a non factor/fit.
To make things even worse is the fact Booth is making big bucks while Samuelson was on the last year of his deal.

If Booth some way miraculously ends up proving me wrong later down the road I'll eat crow.
But, for now this is not looking like how Gillis envisioned when he did the transaction with Florida.
I also believe Stuurm was given the short end of the stick.

is this the real Vern Fonk??
Posted Image

#44 Guardian452

Guardian452

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

In the last 2 games, Booth has shown the one element that's been missing from the Canucks offense since Bertuzzi was traded - a power forward with strength and speed who will drive the puck to the net. If he brings that game to the rink every night, it won't be long before he and Kesler will be lighting up the net at the same pace as the Sedins.

#45 Canufu

Canufu

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

I don't know if I'm the only one who shook his head in disbelief when Gillis pulled the trigger for David Booth.
Booth was a decent player pre-concussion(s) but he's not been the same player since and he's one concussion shy ending his career like Lafontaine & Kariya.
Even though Samuelson had some flaws I firmly believe his playoff experience alone would have made it worthwhile to keep him around.
I will go on the record to state this trade will eventually bite us in the butt when Booth ends up being a bust and end up being a non factor/fit.
To make things even worse is the fact Booth is making big bucks while Samuelson was on the last year of his deal.

If Booth some way miraculously ends up proving me wrong later down the road I'll eat crow.
But, for now this is not looking like how Gillis envisioned when he did the transaction with Florida.
I also believe Stuurm was given the short end of the stick.

Like many others have said, playoff experience was an intangible important to the Canucks prior to the 2011 playoff run. It is no longer the case.

Samuelsson is an aging player who is having and will likely continue to have health issues. The 2011 playoff run has taught us that we need durable players who can with stand the punishment of playing 100+ games a year. Unfortunately, like it or not, older players are generally less durable.

I am a believer that this year's Canucks need younger players in the mix to get to the cup. The Booth trade, in my opinion, is brilliant in that it brings a young, durable (82 games last year) power forward with speed to join our core for the duration of our window to win a cup. The 4 years remaining on his contract matches with the rest of our core players. Not to mention the 3rd round pick we got out of it. I would have been happy trading an injured Samuelsson for a 3rd rounder, let alone getting Booth in the process.

Of course, no trade is ever guaranteed, there is always the chance that Booth does not work out here; however, what fans need to understand is that this is not a video game in which a player's ratings are the same regardless of the team. Teams have cultures and characteristics, sometimes, through no fault of anyone, a player does not fit. That is the chance a GM has to take when signing a new player or making a trade. The best a GM can do is to make an informed decision and pick players with the best likelihood of success on his team.

I often hear complaints regarding MG's failed signings and I think it would be naïve to think that a good GM would be perfect in all of his decisions. What I do like about GMMG though, is that he is not afraid to make mistakes, he is willing to act and take chances he thinks is worth taking. The way I look at it, being GM (and many other things for that matter) is like playing poker: the right decision may not necessarily generate the right result, however, if you continue to make the right decisions and play long enough, you will win.

And the Canucks will WIN!

Go Canucks Go!

Edited by Canufu, 02 November 2011 - 03:08 PM.

#46 thehun

thehun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

there should be a new rule on this forum about posting. Think before you post. We would not have silly threads like this one.

#47 thaji

thaji

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

Like many others have said, playoff experience was an intangible important to the Canucks prior to the 2011 playoff run. It is no longer the case.

Samuelsson is an aging player who is having and will likely continue to have health issues. The 2011 playoff run has taught us that we need durable players who can with stand the punishment of playing 100+ games a year. Unfortunately, like it or not, older players are generally less durable.

I am a believer that this year's Canucks need younger players in the mix to get to the cup. The Booth trade, in my opinion, is brilliant in that it brings a young, durable (82 games last year) power forward with speed to join our core for the duration of our window to win a cup. The 4 years remaining on his contract matches with the rest of our core players. Not to mention the 3rd round pick we got out of it. I would have been happy trading an injured Samuelsson for a 3rd rounder, let alone getting Booth in the process.

Of course, no trade is ever guaranteed, there is always the chance that Booth does not work out here; however, what fans need to understand is that this is not a video game in which a player's ratings are the same regardless of the team. Teams have cultures and characteristics, sometimes, through no fault of anyone, a player does not fit. That is the chance a GM has to take when signing a new player or making a trade. The best a GM can do is to make an informed decision and pick players with the best likelihood of success on his team.

I often hear complaints regarding MG's failed signings and I think it would be na´ve to think that a good GM would be perfect in all of his decisions. What I do like about GMMG though, is that he is not afraid to make mistakes, he is willing to act and take chances he thinks is worth taking. The way I look at it, being GM (and many other things for that matter) is like playing poker: the right decision may not necessarily generate the right result, however, if you continue to make the right decisions and play long enough, you will win.

And the Canucks will WIN!

Go Canucks Go!

Great point man. You are definitely right you can't expect GMMG to continously make the rigth decision. The best part about him is when he knows he has made the wrong decision he is willing to admit it and change it up. i.e trading Sturm, getting rid of Bernier & and not resigning Demitra. Other GM's are not that smart...see Clagary and Olli Okinen(SP?)

To the OP you know why this trade is good cuse it didn't even work in NHL 12...lol

Canuck for Life!

#48 canuckschick1234

canuckschick1234

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

-34.. could this be the next making of the "Burrows....do we really need him?" thread?
2011-2012 LEAGUE STANDINGS - Last updated: March 19, 2:18 PM

Posted Image

#49 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

First time negging somone, but oh boy was it worth it.
Posted Image

#50 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

see Clagary and Olli Okinen(SP?)

Love it. Somebody drop Olli an email and let him know his name spelling has been changed. If he bitches, offer him complimentary waffles.

#51 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

CDC will regret opening this thread.
Posted Image

#52 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,330 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

Subbancopy.jpg

#53 Legstrong

Legstrong

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

Posted Image

Seeing Big Lebowski gifs makes me happy inside.

Made up for the nausea I felt when I read the op.

Vern Fonk you are out of your element!!!

Edited by Legstrong, 02 November 2011 - 03:35 PM.

Posted Image

#54 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

Sammy is a good player and I love the guy. But the trade is a freaking steal for a young skillful speedy foward for 2 aging guys. And everyone says Samuelsson has the experiencek well from last year the whole freakin team has about as much playoff experience as you can get.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#55 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

LOL! No, just no.

Sammy= Old and almost useless, Was good a couple years back.
Booth= relatively young, lot of promise here in a contending city.
Posted Image

#56 NeverForget#16

NeverForget#16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Booth is young and still developing his game and only going to get better. Sammi was at the end of his career, becoming injury prone and was only going to get slower and worse. And for experience alone? Our entire team was within one game of winning the cup last year. I would say we have A LOT of experience in that room. No rings, but we were only one game away from having a room full of them.

As long as they are winning I'll keep cheering and supporting the team.

Anyone who is questioning my passion for the Canucks doesn't know how big of a fan I am. We're all fans here but only the die hard fans like myself have the balls to hold the Canucks accountable when they F up.

Oh the sadness of a Bandwagon fan trying to hide behind the guise of a true fan.

#57 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

I'm saving my negatives for even much more stupider threads Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

stupider threads than this*

OR

threads more stupid than this*
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#58 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

How in the world would you EVEN THINK that Samuelsson who is way past his prime is better than Booth?

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#59 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

time will tell everything

#60 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

Wait if booth indeed is 1 hit from the end of his career and retires.. We don't have to pay him no? So what's the downside? The only risk I see is if he is a so-so player. But I that's the case we can prolly trade him for a draft pick so I see no risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.