The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks Will End Up Regretting Trading Samuelson

Vern Fonk

I'll say it again. Samuelsson was completely useless last year, he is a selfish player and atrocious defensively. I could care less if he had 50 points and played well in one playoff series. It was disgusting to watch him play hockey. Open your eyes and watch the games man.

The End!

I don't know if I'm the only one who shook his head in disbelief when Gillis pulled the trigger for David Booth.

Booth was a decent player pre-concussion(s) but he's not been the same player since and he's one concussion shy ending his career like Lafontaine & Kariya.

Even though Samuelson had some flaws I firmly believe his playoff experience alone would have made it worthwhile to keep him around.

I will go on the record to state this trade will eventually bite us in the butt when Booth ends up being a bust and end up being a non factor/fit.

To make things even worse is the fact Booth is making big bucks while Samuelson was on the last year of his deal.

If Booth some way miraculously ends up proving me wrong later down the road I'll eat crow.

But, for now this is not looking like how Gillis envisioned when he did the transaction with Florida.

I also believe Stuurm was given the short end of the stick.

In the last 2 games, Booth has shown the one element that's been missing from the Canucks offense since Bertuzzi was traded - a power forward with strength and speed who will drive the puck to the net. If he brings that game to the rink every night, it won't be long before he and Kesler will be lighting up the net at the same pace as the Sedins.

I don't know if I'm the only one who shook his head in disbelief when Gillis pulled the trigger for David Booth.

Booth was a decent player pre-concussion(s) but he's not been the same player since and he's one concussion shy ending his career like Lafontaine & Kariya.

Even though Samuelson had some flaws I firmly believe his playoff experience alone would have made it worthwhile to keep him around.

I will go on the record to state this trade will eventually bite us in the butt when Booth ends up being a bust and end up being a non factor/fit.

To make things even worse is the fact Booth is making big bucks while Samuelson was on the last year of his deal.

If Booth some way miraculously ends up proving me wrong later down the road I'll eat crow.

But, for now this is not looking like how Gillis envisioned when he did the transaction with Florida.

I also believe Stuurm was given the short end of the stick.

Like many others have said, playoff experience was an intangible important to the Canucks prior to the 2011 playoff run. It is no longer the case.

Samuelsson is an aging player who is having and will likely continue to have health issues. The 2011 playoff run has taught us that we need durable players who can with stand the punishment of playing 100+ games a year. Unfortunately, like it or not, older players are generally less durable.

I am a believer that this year's Canucks need younger players in the mix to get to the cup. The Booth trade, in my opinion, is brilliant in that it brings a young, durable (82 games last year) power forward with speed to join our core for the duration of our window to win a cup. The 4 years remaining on his contract matches with the rest of our core players. Not to mention the 3rd round pick we got out of it. I would have been happy trading an injured Samuelsson for a 3rd rounder, let alone getting Booth in the process.

Of course, no trade is ever guaranteed, there is always the chance that Booth does not work out here; however, what fans need to understand is that this is not a video game in which a player's ratings are the same regardless of the team. Teams have cultures and characteristics, sometimes, through no fault of anyone, a player does not fit. That is the chance a GM has to take when signing a new player or making a trade. The best a GM can do is to make an informed decision and pick players with the best likelihood of success on his team.

I often hear complaints regarding MG's failed signings and I think it would be naïve to think that a good GM would be perfect in all of his decisions. What I do like about GMMG though, is that he is not afraid to make mistakes, he is willing to act and take chances he thinks is worth taking. The way I look at it, being GM (and many other things for that matter) is like playing poker: the right decision may not necessarily generate the right result, however, if you continue to make the right decisions and play long enough, you will win.

And the Canucks will WIN!

Go Canucks Go!

Sammy is a good player and I love the guy. But the trade is a freaking steal for a young skillful speedy foward for 2 aging guys. And everyone says Samuelsson has the experiencek well from last year the whole freakin team has about as much playoff experience as you can get.

Booth is young and still developing his game and only going to get better. Sammi was at the end of his career, becoming injury prone and was only going to get slower and worse. And for experience alone? Our entire team was within one game of winning the cup last year. I would say we have A LOT of experience in that room. No rings, but we were only one game away from having a room full of them.

Archived