The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks Will End Up Regretting Trading Samuelson

Vern Fonk

I like Samualsson, he's veteran presence in the locker room come play-offs. But the way the lines are structured, we didn't have a spot for him. Booth on the other hand was a great pick-up by Gillis, give him an opportunity to gel. The second line is looking far more solid than last year, without having to trade any quality assets. MG is doing a great job and Im confiedent that a big D-man is in the works by the trade dead line.

Great move by MG in trading away more or less nothing to get something.

That being said, Samuelsson is a player who can elevate his game for the post-season. He gives the Sedin line more flexibility should Burrows not be working well, he can play on the PP, and while he's supposed to play top-6 in Vancouver, he used to be on the 3rd line for Detroit.

Not saying the Canucks don't get Booth, but if only there was a way to keep Sammy.

53pts and then 50pts is pretty good for an aging player.

I like this trade although I don't believe Kesler and Booth should play on the same line. They are two similar players with Kesler obviously being much more skilled in the defensive area of the game.

I would like to see the Sedins split up:

D.Sedin-Kesler-Burrows

Booth-H.Sedin-Hodgson

Throw a slick passer on each line and watch the fireworks. Keep the Sedins and Kesler on the first PP unit.

Plus, it is not as though we couldn't reacquire Samuelsson at the deadline if Florida doesn't feel the need to keep him for the remainder of the season.

Clear some cap space by demoting and throw the Panthers a low draft pick.

I don't know if I'm the only one who shook his head in disbelief when Gillis pulled the trigger for David Booth. <br style="color: rgb(77, 77, 79); font-family: arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; ">

Booth

was

a decent player pre-concussion(s) but he's not been the same player since and he's one concussion shy ending his career like Lafontaine & Kariya.

<br style="color: rgb(77, 77, 79); font-family: arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; ">

Even though Samuelson had some flaws I firmly believe his playoff experience alone would have made it worthwhile to keep him around.

<br style="color: rgb(77, 77, 79); font-family: arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; ">

I will go on the record to state this trade will eventually bite us in the butt when Booth ends up being a bust and end up being a non factor/fit.

To make things even worse is the fact Booth is making big bucks while Samuelson was on the last year of his deal.

<br style="color: rgb(77, 77, 79); font-family: arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; "><br style="color: rgb(77, 77, 79); font-family: arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: left; ">

If Booth some way miraculously ends up proving me wrong later down the road I'll eat crow.

But, for now this is not looking like how Gillis envisioned when he did the transaction with Florida.

I also believe Stuurm was given the short end of the stick.

I like this trade although I don't believe Kesler and Booth should play on the same line. They are two similar players with Kesler obviously being much more skilled in the defensive area of the game.

I would like to see the Sedins split up:

D.Sedin-Kesler-Burrows

Booth-H.Sedin-Hodgson

Throw a slick passer on each line and watch the fireworks. Keep the Sedins and Kesler on the first PP unit.

Plus, it is not as though we couldn't reacquire Samuelsson at the deadline if Florida doesn't feel the need to keep him for the remainder of the season.

Clear some cap space by demoting and throw the Panthers a low draft pick.

It's only been a few games, you got to give him at least a few weeks and he's probably still adjusting to the hockey environment in Vancouver. You can't expect him to have like instant chemistry with Kesler.

Also, it's hard to play with Samuelsson when he's the type of player who doesn't really pass the puck and wants to do everything himself.

I have a problem that we gave up BOTH of Sammy & Sturm and only have 1 workable player in return. Why even get Reinprecht if he will be in the farm team and will most likely get taken away from re-entry waivers! We should just given 1 of the 2 with a draft pick for Booth.

Archived