The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks Will End Up Regretting Trading Samuelson

Vern Fonk

OP I am guessing you are basing this assessment on the few games Booth has played so far for the Canucks. Give him time. Lots of it.

Just forget about Booth for a while. Watch Kesler slowly get back to top form. Pay attention to Cody getting better and better. Reassess Booth after Christmas and then decide if you would rather have Sammuelson.

PS Samuelson is a great guy and still an effective hockey player. I Wish him the best.

I don't know if I'm the only one who shook his head in disbelief when Gillis pulled the trigger for David Booth.

Booth was a decent player pre-concussion(s) but he's not been the same player since and he's one concussion shy ending his career like Lafontaine & Kariya.

Even though Samuelson had some flaws I firmly believe his playoff experience alone would have made it worthwhile to keep him around.

I will go on the record to state this trade will eventually bite us in the butt when Booth ends up being a bust and end up being a non factor/fit.

To make things even worse is the fact Booth is making big bucks while Samuelson was on the last year of his deal.

If Booth some way miraculously ends up proving me wrong later down the road I'll eat crow.

But, for now this is not looking like how Gillis envisioned when he did the transaction with Florida.

I also believe Stuurm was given the short end of the stick.

Samuellson had a great first year with us and he was a beast in the playoffs. We the fans were excited about him being back in a Canucks Uniform. But he had a serious injury and could never skate at an NHL level after. He still got a bunch of points last year and was an able second liner but really most of that was Kesler becoming a Superstar for the year.

Sturm had an opportunity and he failed to deliver.

Booth is young, fast as hell, and friends with Kess. Hopefully they can start putting the puck in the net together and burning down the opponents with their elite speed and skill.

Canucks have won this trade for sure.

Exhibit C in the "Tar & Feather the New Guy". Three games in and already calling it a bust.

I liked Samuelsson a lot, and I agree that I'll miss his playoff pedigree, but you're prematurely writing him off. Look no further than the progression of Higgins from last season until now.

I don't know if I'm the only one who shook his head in disbelief when Gillis pulled the trigger for David Booth.

Booth was a decent player pre-concussion(s) but he's not been the same player since and he's one concussion shy ending his career like Lafontaine & Kariya.

Even though Samuelson had some flaws I firmly believe his playoff experience alone would have made it worthwhile to keep him around.

I will go on the record to state this trade will eventually bite us in the butt when Booth ends up being a bust and end up being a non factor/fit.

To make things even worse is the fact Booth is making big bucks while Samuelson was on the last year of his deal.

If Booth some way miraculously ends up proving me wrong later down the road I'll eat crow.

But, for now this is not looking like how Gillis envisioned when he did the transaction with Florida.

I also believe Stuurm was given the short end of the stick.

How about that 3rd round pick we got as well. For one thing Rienprecht will not be seen in a Canucks uniform, probably ever, unless there was a major catastrophe as we are heavy at center. Secondly, I dont think Rienprecht needs to clear waivers coming up as he was assigned directly to the Wolves, and even if he had to, who is going to risk picking up an AHL center with a 2 million cap hit who played all of 29 games for the Panthers last year.

Rienprecht was just a salary dump for a Florida.

Come on people, everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of how much ridicule it calls for.

Well if the Canucks come to regret trading Samuelsson, they can always resign him after the season ends seeing as how it's a UFA.

Also, who's to say they don't pick him back up again at the trade deadline? When dealing with Florida, don't rule out anything.

Archived