The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lest We Forget

Wetcoaster

Lest_We_Forget.png

b-460224-Remembrance_day_in_canada.jpg

Friday, November 11, 2011 is Remembrance Day - a time to stop for a minute of silence on the 11th day of the 11the month at the 11th hour and remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

The following images and titles are from a post in 2008 by Starbug.

Vimy Ridge, France:

Europe100.jpg

Europe102.jpg

Inscribed around the base of the monument are the names of those whose final resting places are unknown. My sig is an example of a portion of that wall.

Europe099.jpg

Ypres, Belgium:

Europe230.jpg

Europe223.jpg

As with Vimy Ridge, those are names (54,896 of them) inscribed on the walls of the monument.

Europe227.jpg

Europe235.jpg

Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae sat at these very bunkers when he penned what is among the best-known poems out there:

NOTE - this thread is not intended to be a debate about war and peace... if you wish to debate that then start a new thread. This thread is dedicated to those who gave their lives in the service of our country.

Both my grandfathers fought in WWII. And although neither were perfect human beings, my love and respect for them will never wane. For they fought as bravely and fiercely for their country, as they would for their families.

To all veterans living and departed, thank you for everything you gave for our country. We may not always show it, but rest assured, we will never forget it.

Being English this is as important to us as anyone else, I don't know how familiar everyone is with European 'Soccer' but FIFA have actually ban the English national team from wearing Poppies on their shirts for the friendly against Spain this friday......I personally think it is disgusting and there is talk of England doing it anyway!

I think everyone should wear a poppy personally, even if you aren't respecting one specific side, just those who have given their lives for what they believe in.

Lest we forget

Heroes don't wear capes, they don't score goals, and they don't make speaches. Heroes don't brag, boast, and seldom acknowlege their accomplishments and sacrifices. Heroes are silent, solemn, and usually say that their heroes are buried in France.

Canada's heroes, her War dead, are the bedrock of the country. Honour these heroes by attending a Remembrance Day ceremony, by visiting a Legion or Armouries and buying a vet a beer. But most importantly, remember their sacrific tomorrow, and in the 364 days that follow until the next November 11.

Heroes don't wear capes, they don't score goals, and they don't make speaches. Heroes don't brag, boast, and seldom acknowlege their accomplishments and sacrifices. Heroes are silent, solemn, and usually say that their heroes are buried in France.

Canada's heroes, her War dead, are the bedrock of the country. Honour these heroes by attending a Remembrance Day ceremony, by visiting a Legion or Armouries and buying a vet a beer. But most importantly, remember their sacrific tomorrow, and in the 364 days that follow until the next November 11.

My grandfather who served in WWII passed a couple years ago. We used to go to services with him every year and would take him for a beer at the local legion after. Last year wasn't easy to go to without him and I don't anticipate it being much better this year.

On a good note, my nephew's staying the night at our place tonight and we'll be taking him to services tomorrow.

To all those who have served. Thank you.

Archived