The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Occupy Vancouver Protesters

blitzkrieg66

Broad suggestions is a good way to start, but they have to be withered down into something that can be effectively implemented. Just take a look at the UN and former LoN, idealist values don't work in the world due to human nature.

That's one thing I notice about OV. They really want change, and so do most of us, but in order for change to occur, there has to be a good way to replace the old. If you get rid of the old, and don't replace it with something better, it could end up being worse. Maybe the right now is not the best time to make such rapid changes.

Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time. ~ Winston Churchill, Speech in the House of Commons on 11 November 1947

Are you just going to discard the comment you made that I dream about money? I've made no such statements to back up any sort of comment.

As for my suggestions I've posted some of them and no one has chosen to respond to them.

Here's one in regards to voter apathy. Make voting mandatory.

Have an abstain option for people who don't wish to select a candidate but it ensures that they still have to go to the effort to participate in our democracy. How legitimate can a government be that is only elected by a fraction of the populace?

Mayor Dianne Watts is by all accounts a widely popular mayor yet she won the most recent municipal election with only 12% of the total population of Surrey's support. Municipalities take in lots of money through property taxes and have responsibilities to match the money they receive. Despite that voter turnout is nothing short of appalling and because of that there is little accountability.

The choices we have are awful but there aren't alot of barriers to new parties starting the way there are in the US. I'm at least happy that you're of the opinion that all of them are awful and not much better than the other.

We need to know why better people don't go into politics. Why the system is so inflexible and resistant to change that we as a country and society need. The structure of our government was made for a 19th century Canada, not the one we have today.

I find it ridiculous that we live in the year 2011 and yet the Senate is still appointed by the Prime Minister's office just for starters. The public shouldn't put up with that nonsense. We're not a little tin pot colony of the British Empire any longer.

The system is broken. It can't fix itself. We need change. Occupy Vancouver isn't going to give us that change. Maybe something better that comes along will.

Polygraph tests are used as a police investigative technique to pressure suspects and as you note results are not admissible at trial. Police know this but use these tests to get you to make incriminating statements or confess. Unlike the polygraph test results, your statements may be used in evidence against you at trial.

[...]

Broad suggestions is a good way to start, but they have to be withered down into something that can be effectively implemented. Just take a look at the UN and former LoN, idealist values don't work in the world due to human nature.

That's one thing I notice about OV. They really want change, and so do most of us, but in order for change to occur, there has to be a good way to replace the old. If you get rid of the old, and don't replace it with something better, it could end up being worse. Maybe the right now is not the best time to make such rapid changes.

Are you just going to discard the comment you made that I dream about money? I've made no such statements to back up any sort of comment.

As for my suggestions I've posted some of them and no one has chosen to respond to them.

Here's one in regards to voter apathy. Make voting mandatory.

Have an abstain option for people who don't wish to select a candidate but it ensures that they still have to go to the effort to participate in our democracy. How legitimate can a government be that is only elected by a fraction of the populace?

Mayor Dianne Watts is by all accounts a widely popular mayor yet she won the most recent municipal election with only 12% of the total population of Surrey's support. Municipalities take in lots of money through property taxes and have responsibilities to match the money they receive. Despite that voter turnout is nothing short of appalling and because of that there is little accountability.

Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time. ~ Winston Churchill, Speech in the House of Commons on 11 November 1947

I appologise for the slur like insult. I agree with manditory voting. But we have to have honest parties to choose from. If you want to be a polition you shouldn have to submit to manditory random lie detection. It would'nt be an admission of guilt, just a reason to investigate further, not unlike the R.C.M.P

Archived