The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Occupy Vancouver Protesters

blitzkrieg66

The world isn't on your side on this one....the world is telling their gov'ts and the greedy bankers, and businesspeople, that they've had enough. Sure there are mixed messages hurting the movements, not to mention the self-interest of those that are trying to paint this movement as nothing more than hippies and druggies and homeless and professional protesters, and all the other things and labels people use to discredit, deride and denounce this movements and their sometimes odd and misguided demands. That's fine. There's always going to be people who don't want change, and laugh and make fun of those who do. All movements over the history of the world have experienced that. Those movements were local or regional or national movements that shook and reverberated around the world. This movement is a movement around the world that is trying to shake the world at the same time by many small and big locations, with the simple message to those that hold the power in this world, that enough is enough.

If you think that's funny, or something to poo-poo, or to crap on, then good for you. There's always been and there will always be those on the wrong side of history.

Those are all issues that I agree need to be resolved. I think most people don't disagree with the protest, it's the manner in which they have chosen to protest. I think it could be done without living at the protest site, disrupting traffic and being a nuisance to the people they claim to represent.

They also need to be very careful of the image they project when they are claiming to represent 99% of the population.

Have you read the full list of their demands? It's much longer than what you listed in your post, and much less reasonable.

Decision on the injunction to come down from the court at noon:

Judge MacKenzie to rule in noon hour on govt bid to order #OccupyVancouver gone from Law Courts. #bcpoli

by bobmackin via twitter 11:27 AM

BC government lawyer is Craig Jones... sound familiar???

Govt lawyer Craig Jones famous 14 yrs ago this week at APEC 97; arrested for democracy/free speech protest signs. #bcpoli #OccupyVancouver

by bobmackin via twitter 11:31 AM

I don't agree with everything either. However, i'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I've read the list(thanks Wet) and yes, there's plenty of facepalming worthy demands there. However, were to sit with someone reasonable and stuck to the concerns of the legitimate and serious demands, then perhaps, the baby and the bathwater could be better seperated.

There's plenty of bull**** i acknowledge and agree. I try to steer clear from that, since what I support, of this movement, are the non-stinky aspects of their demands...whether they be by OV, or OWS. I'm willing to look past the image of the minority to support the message of the majority.

I agree. But for this movement to have success, and I'm speaking specifically about OV, it will have to be championed in a different way and by much more competent people.

The way they are going about it now just discredits all the positive aspects of it. It's a shame too, because it is a good cause at its core.

People need to be able to sift and wade through things themselves. It's intellectual laziness to not look at all the demands and issues being raised and merely to lump it all together with apathy. People are too lazy and comfy in their compartmentalized rat racing lives to lift their noses to smell the roses let alone to pitch in a hand or a critical thought in helping to replant the garden.(I ran with the analogy, meh)

Basically, too many people are ignorant of the underlying issues and don't like change. That's a lazy statement by me of course, i acknowledge it, but there's some truth to it as well.

The title of the ex parte injunction application which gives you a sense of what the thrust of the arguments would be:

"In the Matter of Interference with Access to Or Operation of the Courts of Justice."

In court...

“It is time for what remains of this roving protest to end,” lawyer Craig Jones, representing the Attorney-General of B.C., told B.C. Supreme Court Justice Anne MacKenzie in a hastily-scheduled hearing Tuesday morning.

“To permit the occupiers to move from place to place for the sole purpose of evading Court orders, and forcing successive landlords and courts to expand resources evicting them is contemptuous of the spirit and intent of the court’s directions.”

“Assertions of dominance and control of public institutions and spaces are by their nature contemptuous of the courts and the citizenry.”

“The presence of the protesters and their structures may reasonably be apprehended to impede or discourage access to the courts, which in itself is offensive to the rights of citizens to seek redress in the courts.”

To allow the protesters to move from public land to public land, while injunctions are sought to clear every space they occupy, will be perceived by the public as “a thumbing of the nose at the court’s directions,” Mr. Jones said.

“It is, ipso facto, criminal contempt that is going on outside these doors,” he said, and access to that public space is not available to the “real 99 per cent of the citizenry.”

Mr. Jones said Occupy Vancouver tactics are clearly part of “a strategic shell game”, in which protesters move from public land to public land “chased by individual landowners into the courts, draining valuable judicial resources.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/bc-politics/bc-seeks-injunction-against-occupy-vancouvers-new-camp/article2244859/

People need to be able to sift and wade through things themselves. It's intellectual laziness to not look at all the demands and issues being raised and merely to lump it all together with apathy. People are too lazy and comfy in their compartmentalized rat racing lives to lift their noses to smell the roses let alone to pitch in a hand or a critical thought in helping to replant the garden.(I ran with the analogy, meh)

Basically, too many people are ignorant of the underlying issues and don't like change. That's a lazy statement by me of course, i acknowledge it, but there's some truth to it as well.

As far as I can tell that was a false report. There have been no reports of the injunction yet being granted by any of the news media who are covering this case.

The person who first posted that now tweets:

Can anyone confirm: Emergency Injunction against #occupyvancouver granted this morning? #vancouver #occupycanada

by min_reyes via twitter 12:17 PM

Is it laziness, apathy, or a unwillingness to be lumped in with those who dirtied the bathwater that keeps people from getting involved?

I can relate to someone working two jobs and struggling to make ends meet more than some of the representatives in OV (i.e. the ranting gentleman in the video, the people sitting in the middle of an intersection, people punching others in the face, etc.). It seems the OV movement has degraded into something many people do not want to be associated with, whether or not they agree with (some) of the cause.

That is the problem, in my opinion, with many protests; they are dragged down to the point where those who are the most vocal no longer accurately represent the cause.

Archived