The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCAA football

Gretzky's Mullet

Hey GM, can the Sooners get into a bowl game if they knock off the Cowboys?

Yes, they would be automatically selected for the Fiesta Bowl. I'd be shocked if that happened, OSU has an incredible team and would be in the National Championship if not for that puzzling loss to Iowa State (who, to their credit, have really been very solid to end the year). But you can never count out the Sooners.

You mean Auburn from the SEC ;)

It's funny because Chip Kelly said he could see the score be like 60-58 or something? It turned turned out to be a pretty good defensive battle.

I just hate those games where it's two teams just going back and forth. Defense is apart of the game!

Well last year was an exception, largely thanks to Cam Newton. But my point is still valid, in that Newton's ability to impact that game came more from his freakish athleticism than from an innate ability to read the game from the quarterback position. He may have more natural football ability than I'm giving him credit for.

I like a good balance myself, with offensive prowess eventually winning out over defence in a struggle to the finish. Last year's game (and I concede that I was a little too drunk to remember it in a lot of detail) was one of the more entertaining I've seen recently. And in all honesty, the boredom of some of the previous ones was probably just as much due to having to watch Jim Tressel's boring Ohio State Buckeyes, as much as the SEC opponents (who were admittedly superior). Maybe I just can't stand the constant yapping.

I'm not an SEC fan by any means, but throw out the polling and ranking system for a minute. The national championship should be the 2 best teams in the country plain and simple, and this year LSU & 'Bama are far and away better than anybody else.

Being a Die Hard Hurricanes fan, these past 8 or so years have been pretty damn rough.. the embarassing loss to ND last year stung and with the self-imposed bowl ban this year,there's really nothing else to do except enjoy the madness in cheering against Nebraska,ND,Florida,FSU & Ohio St.. If Wisconsin ends up in the Rose Bowl like I think they will, I may go down and watch that in Pasadena because i'd have a bunch of friends coming over from Wisconsin to watch it.

Here's how I see it shaking down;

Rose Bowl : Wisconsin vs Oregon [badgers Win]

Fiesta Bowl : Ok. St vs Stanford [Cowboys Win]

Orange Bowl : Virginia Tech vs WVU [Hokies Win]

Sugar Bowl : Houson vs Michigan [Wolverines Win]

National Championship : LSU vs Bama [LSU Win Again]

Don't get me wrong, I think Alabama and LSU are the two teams that deserve to go. I just don't really look forward to the game.

I also think your predictions are fairly sound, though I would give the Ducks a good shot in the Rose. However, LaMichael James did get hurt last week in the Civil War game, and I wasn't sure how severe it was or what the prognosis is, but if he can't go, that would be a significant loss. I'm sure he'll be better by New Years though.

If I had told you at the beginning of the year that Michigan would be going to a BCS bowl, you probably would've laughed me right out of this forum.

Don't get me wrong, I think Alabama and LSU are the two teams that deserve to go. I just don't really look forward to the game.

I also think your predictions are fairly sound, though I would give the Ducks a good shot in the Rose. However, LaMichael James did get hurt last week in the Civil War game, and I wasn't sure how severe it was or what the prognosis is, but if he can't go, that would be a significant loss. I'm sure he'll be better by New Years though.

If I had told you at the beginning of the year that Michigan would be going to a BCS bowl, you probably would've laughed me right out of this forum.

Thats where everyone's different I guess, I personally enjoyed the 9-6 game.. I enjoy football and defense is a huge aspect of the game. I would too, but Wisconsin's 2 losses have come on last second hail mary's esentially. I believe he'll play, but you can tell his arm isn't 100% even after the earlier injury in the season. I laughed when I heard people predicting it as well, Denard is so hit or miss though. He's gotten really confused and lost against teams with a heavy pass rush, and if they play Houston Michigan's D just needs to show up for 1/2 the game and they should win.

Thats where everyone's different I guess, I personally enjoyed the 9-6 game.. I enjoy football and defense is a huge aspect of the game. I would too, but Wisconsin's 2 losses have come on last second hail mary's esentially. I believe he'll play, but you can tell his arm isn't 100% even after the earlier injury in the season. I laughed when I heard people predicting it as well, Denard is so hit or miss though. He's gotten really confused and lost against teams with a heavy pass rush, and if they play Houston Michigan's D just needs to show up for 1/2 the game and they should win.

Yeah, Houston to me looks like the second coming of the Hawaii Warriors from a few years back, when Colt Brennan was their QB. Everyone wanted to see them in the title game, and complained when their undefeated record only got them the Sugar Bowl. Then Georgia went in and crushed them. Houston is similarly a high-flying offensive team in a weak conference, and I just don't see them having much of a prayer against a team like Michigan.

Re: Wisconsin, I definitely respect that team's ability, and that they were a bit unlucky to be as low as they are, because they are a fantastic team. I just think the same could be said for Oregon: losing in a very competitive opening game against the eventual best team in the land (a couple of sloppy plays by replacement players made a huge difference), and coming within a missed 37 yarder or completing a massive comeback against the very strong, and tragically bowl-ineligible, USC, but otherwise making hay all season long, including that very impressive 23 point victory over otherwise unbeaten Stanford. I usually really look forward to the Rose Bowl, and this year will be no different, even if the Spartans made it in over the Badgers.

Yeah, Houston to me looks like the second coming of the Hawaii Warriors from a few years back, when Colt Brennan was their QB. Everyone wanted to see them in the title game, and complained when their undefeated record only got them the Sugar Bowl. Then Georgia went in and crushed them. Houston is similarly a high-flying offensive team in a weak conference, and I just don't see them having much of a prayer against a team like Michigan.

Re: Wisconsin, I definitely respect that team's ability, and that they were a bit unlucky to be as low as they are, because they are a fantastic team. I just think the same could be said for Oregon: losing in a very competitive opening game against the eventual best team in the land (a couple of sloppy plays by replacement players made a huge difference), and coming within a missed 37 yarder or completing a massive comeback against the very strong, and tragically bowl-ineligible, USC, but otherwise making hay all season long, including that very impressive 23 point victory over otherwise unbeaten Stanford. I usually really look forward to the Rose Bowl, and this year will be no different, even if the Spartans made it in over the Badgers.

Montee Ball is a baller. That needs to be said.

Montee Ball is a baller. That needs to be said.

What a pun machine.

Having said that, he is good. Who's your pick for the Heisman this year? Andrew Luck seems to be a popular favourite, and Trent Richardson gets a lot of buzz as well. Despite the gaudy numbers, I don't think either of the non-BCS candidates on the ballot, Keenum and Moore, really has a shot since they play such weak opposition and their numbers get inflated. Similarly, Matt Barkley's had a strong season but USC's bowl ineligibility, and the chronic incompetence of the rest of the Pac-12 South, have allowed him to fly under the radar and will probably finish him. Robert Griffin is an electrifying talent, but Baylor is going to hurt him too, even insomuch that their competition was strong and their losses against legitimately strong teams, and I think "the Third" will finish, appropriately, third in voting. I personally think Luck should win it, but a pick of either him or Richardson is perfectly justified.

What a pun machine.

Having said that, he is good. Who's your pick for the Heisman this year? Andrew Luck seems to be a popular favourite, and Trent Richardson gets a lot of buzz as well. Despite the gaudy numbers, I don't think either of the non-BCS candidates on the ballot, Keenum and Moore, really has a shot since they play such weak opposition and their numbers get inflated. Similarly, Matt Barkley's had a strong season but USC's bowl ineligibility, and the chronic incompetence of the rest of the Pac-12 South, have allowed him to fly under the radar and will probably finish him. Robert Griffin is an electrifying talent, but Baylor is going to hurt him too, even insomuch that their competition was strong and their losses against legitimately strong teams, and I think "the Third" will finish, appropriately, third in voting. I personally think Luck should win it, but a pick of either him or Richardson is perfectly justified.

Luck and Moore were my initial choices, but then had Griffin winning it until he got injured last week and didn't play.

I think Luck takes it home though, the guy does show much its unbelievable. He actually calls a lot of their plays too, which is just crazy.

Matt Barkley has had a great season, he's second on my list, but as you mentioned the whole bowl ineligibility thing (which he had nothing to do with, in fact him staying at the school tells you what kinda kid he is) and the fact that "he has good wide receivers" will hurt him. It's a stupid argument, but you gotta think in the context of the idiot voters.

It's funny too because people always mention Barkley's receiver, what about Alabama's offensive-line?

Luck and Moore were my initial choices, but then had Griffin winning it until he got injured last week and didn't play.

I think Luck takes it home though, the guy does show much its unbelievable. He actually calls a lot of their plays too, which is just crazy.

Matt Barkley has had a great season, he's second on my list, but as you mentioned the whole bowl ineligibility thing (which he had nothing to do with, in fact him staying at the school tells you what kinda kid he is) and the fact that "he has good wide receivers" will hurt him. It's a stupid argument, but you gotta think in the context of the idiot voters.

It's funny too because people always mention Barkley's receiver, what about Alabama's offensive-line?

As it usually happens, the Heisman is largely a team award. There is a massive correlation between winning the trophy and the success of the team, and that works both ways: obviously, having a superstar on a team will improve that team's chances of success, but the team's success is also going to reflect nicely on the player. If you look back on the last few years, only once in the five years since the "BCS National Championship" game has been played has the Heisman winner not been from one of the participants, that was Tim Tebow in 2008 (after the 2007 season). Before that, you have to go back to the 2002 season, after which Carson Palmer was named the Heisman winner. So there's no doubt that if you want to win the Heisman, pick your team carefully. Obviously there are some flaws there, but it really reflects a general difficulty when it comes to ranking anything with college football: with so many teams/players compared to games played, there are so few accurate indices for comparison.

I seldom advocate watching Conference-USA football but this game has wide-ranging implications. If Southern Miss wins (they lead 21-14 at the half as I write this), it would knock Houston out of the BCS picture. Not sure who would be projected to fill their spot, though it may be Boise State. Regardless of what happens, Southern Miss is probably bound for the Liberty Bowl, but for Houston, it's the difference between the BCS and the TicketCity Bowl, which would represent almost $16 million lost in purse money.

That is nothing short of devastating for Houston. A BCS Bowl would've been huge for that program. Instead they choked. Other programs are leaping for joy however. I think (though I'm not entirely certain) that a win today would put Boise State into a BCS bowl. I'd much much much rather see them than Houston.

Lots of huge games to come today. Big-12 Championship obviously critical, though if OSU loses, they might still get a BCS invitation. A Georgia upset of LSU could have shocking implications. Cincinnati won a bid tepidly today, which makes the tiebreaker to win the Big East the highest ranking, which is probably going to West Virginia and not the Bearcats, so I think the Mountaineers may currently have the inside track on the most underdeserved automatic bid. Having said that, they were extremely entertaining in their last BCS bid, beating Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago. One of the most compelling games I've ever watched, especially as coach Rich Rodriguez had quit on the team to go to Michigan the week of their bowl game, of all things. Of course there's also the Big 10's first ever Championship game too.

Hey Gretzky's Mullet, what's your opinion of Kellen Moore?

From what perspective? Because I think he's a very solid college QB, but will be one of those guys getting little play from NFL teams. And I think he probably knows it, after all he's stayed at school long enough to be a graduate student. He might get drafted low, or invited to a camp as a non-drafted, but I don't know how much success to expect in the pros. I wonder if he'd think about playing in the CFL.

His situation reminds me a little bit of Graham Harrell a few years back. QB for Texas Tech and put up gaudy numbers in college (actually held the record for passing TD's when he finished). One of his favourite targets was highly drafted wideout Michael Crabtree. But Harrell was never drafted, tried out for the Riders but got cut, and at most recent notice was in the low levels of the Packers organization. His college passing record eventually was passed by Dan LeFevour at Central Mich, and he too, after a career of massive numbers, was still a low level prospect (drafted 6th round). It just speaks to how different college vs pro success is. Anyways, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Kellen Moore follow that mold.

EDIT: looked it up, and apparently Kellen is seen as little more than a 7th round pick. Kind of sad really.

Edited by Gretzky's Mullet

I actually wonder if LSU would hold onto a top 2 ranking if they choke in this game. Seems unfair not to, but a big loss would probably call the rankings into question a little bit. Not to mention that if they fall out and finish 3rd, they wouldn't even go to a BCS bowl, let alone the Championship. Instead they'd be headed to the Capital One Bowl (which at present I think is currently getting Arkansas). I don't see that happening, but it would be huge if it did. Conversely, it'd be huge for Georgia, going to the Sugar Bowl

Watching Texas/Baylor. Gonna be a fantastic 2nd half.

If LSU gets their asses kicked, what are the chances they don't even make the championship game? Any?

Very hard to know, and depends a lot on the polls. The computers will probably take the loss into account and drop LSU below Alabama, but perhaps not as low as 3. But will the voters consider it fair that Alabama, by virtue of losing to LSU earlier in the season and thus not having to even play this weekend, essentially gets a bye into the final, whereas LSU, by being better during the regular season, are thrust into a situation where they had the chance to lose their seeding? I personally find that a little unfair, but the computers are obviously impassive. So you wonder what the voters will think. On the flip side, perhaps by losing to Georgia, LSU would just be showing that they weren't quite the worldbeater they were cracked up to be, and instead benefited from not having to play either of the top 2 in the SEC East. The same criticism could also be leveled at Alabama though. Such are the injustices of NCAA football. Interestingly, for LSU to drop to 3, someone else would have to rise up to 2, and it's impossible to say who that would be. OSU is presently in 3rd, but they need to beat Oklahoma today to even hold that, and their one loss should be far more damaging than LSU going down against Georgia. Stanford is in 4th, but they didn't even play for their conference's championship and have a loss to the team that did, so I don't see them moving up. So really, my money would be on LSU still making the top 2.