The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCAA football

Gretzky's Mullet

58 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

They had the number 11 strength of schedule this year though  Bama was at 59, OSU at 35. 

Penn state went through this $&!# a couple years ago and ohio state was gifted  a spot if i remember correctly.

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tide will “roll” to the championship.  Sad, but it’s what the money making machine wants. 

Really? You think they'll beat Clemson?

I just hope that those two pound each other for 4 quarters and the winner is nicely softened up for whoever comes out of the OU - Georgia game. (Hopefully it's the Sooners.;))

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Really? You think they'll beat Clemson?

I just hope that those two pound each other for 4 quarters and the winner is nicely softened up for whoever comes out of the OU - Georgia game. (Hopefully it's the Sooners.;))

They have a better chance than OSU if they can get reasonably healthy in time.  OSU got denied by exactly the same logic as last year when they got in and got steamrolled.

Both games should be entertaining but especially stoked for the rubber match.

• 4 weeks later...

Everybody always gets so upset with stars sitting out of bowl games and I just say look what happened to Jaylon Smith. Kid was a lock at a top 3 pick until in his bowl game tore his ACL, meniscus and did nerve damage. Lost millions in draft slot money. It sucks because you want to watch the best but I get it. If you’re a first round talent you probably should sit out. If you’re a 2nd or lower then play and try to improve your draft ranking.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Everybody always gets so upset with stars sitting out of bowl games and I just say look what happened to Jaylon Smith. Kid was a lock at a top 3 pick until in his bowl game tore his ACL, meniscus and did nerve damage. Lost millions in draft slot money. It sucks because you want to watch the best but I get it. If you’re a first round talent you probably should sit out. If you’re a 2nd or lower then play and try to improve your draft ranking.

It's just a slap in the face to the school that invested in you and got you to that point though.  Just strikes me as something a team-first guy wouldn't do.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I agree, excepting those kids in the 4 team playoff.  They should all play, and give their best to help their mates win the big trophy. 

Edited by Alflives

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's just a slap in the face to the school that invested in you and got you to that point though.  Just strikes me as something a team-first guy wouldn't do.

It is definitely a slap in the face by backing out of your year commitment and your teams biggest game of the year when they need you most. I’d definitely love to see them all play but I get that the NCAA is just a stop gap to these kids’ dreams to be in the NFL. If your lucky enough to already be touted as a 1rst rounder in which you’re getting a 1rst rounder signing bonus why risk blowing a knee out and losing millions when you’ve already locked your draft status.

• Upvote 1

Jaylon Smith was a lock for a top 3 pick where the signing bonus is around 20-17 million. After his knee injury in the bowl game he was lucky to be a high 2nd round pick of the Cowboys for about 4 million. I know there’s no way to foresee things like this but that injury cost him 13-16 million dollars just in a signing bonus. That’s not even what he’d be making on his difference in contract signed.

@ReggieBush: Disappointed in your boys yesterday. I only got to see the last few minutes, but it didn't look very good. I really thought they'd give the Buckeyes everything they could handle. I still had some hope, up until their QB losdt the handle on that pass. (Of course we all know, that's an incomplete pass if Tom Brady is the one who loses the ball. B))

Hopefully we see better games in the final four. (Although I'd be fine with the Sooners rolling over Georgia, not that I expect that.)

17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

@ReggieBush: Disappointed in your boys yesterday. I only got to see the last few minutes, but it didn't look very good. I really thought they'd give the Buckeyes everything they could handle. I still had some hope, up until their QB losdt the handle on that pass. (Of course we all know, that's an incomplete pass if Tom Brady is the one who loses the ball. B))

Hopefully we see better games in the final four. (Although I'd be fine with the Sooners rolling over Georgia, not that I expect that.)

Defensively we played very well. Offensively we made to many mistakes and didn't give Sam the time he needed. tOSU were sending 3-4 guys constantly and we could't block them, especially on the interior. We are pretty young on the Oline so we will improve, but still its frustrating knowing that we could very well have beaten them. I really hope Sam comes back

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

Defensively we played very well. Offensively we made to many mistakes and didn't give Sam the time he needed. tOSU were sending 3-4 guys constantly and we could't block them, especially on the interior. We are pretty young on the Oline so we will improve, but still its frustrating knowing that we could very well have beaten them. I really hope Sam comes back

The future looks pretty bright for USC. I see them back in the hunt next year.

OTOH, I'm thinking this is it for my Sooners. They carried right along after losing Prerine and Mixon in the off season, but this will be it for Baker Mayfield. To make matters worse, I'm now reading that he's got the flu...:angry:

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The future looks pretty bright for USC. I see them back in the hunt next year.

OTOH, I'm thinking this is it for my Sooners. They carried right along after losing Prerine and Mixon in the off season, but this will be it for Baker Mayfield. To make matters worse, I'm now reading that he's got the flu...:angry:

If OU wins they will call it the Flu game:lol:

On 30/12/2017 at 8:20 AM, ReggieBush said:

I heard reports he is coming back, but Can't say for sure until January 15.

8 minutes ago, Green Building said:

This is a great game, but I'd be pretty happy if they left it at 4. They already have 200 bowl games.

4 is perfect.  Any more and you run the risk of lowering the importance of regular season games.

Nothing's broken here  Every single game today has been outstanding so far and I expect the rubber match tonight to be no exception.

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

4 is perfect.  Any more and you run the risk of lowering the importance of regular season games.

Nothing's broken here  Every single game today has been outstanding so far and I expect the rubber match tonight to be no exception.

If they don't end up doing it for money the only way I'd like to see them expand from 4 is if it ends up being the same 4-6 teams making the playoffs every year forever. Otherwise it's fine the way it is. How many more games would the players be excited to play in before turning pro anyways? Imagine if they went full on March Madness in January... I'd watch it, but I don't think the NFL would be thrilled with the new playoff competition. 

• Upvote 1