The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCAA football

Gretzky's Mullet

I think the vote should be close, as both players could make a case for being deserving. I happen to think that the hype around Manziel and the fact that he's a QB will probably push it to him.

I also think the Aggies are going to beat the Sooners in the Cotton Bowl, sorry Rupert. I've been wrong before, but I just think the Aggies will be better on both sides of the ball. Looking at the balance of their games, the Sooners have only beaten one opponent that ended the season ranked, and it was the largely unimpressive Longhorns in the Red River game. Granted, the Aggies played an easier SEC schedule than some of the other teams in that conference (eg: did not have to play Georgia or South Carolina), and they lost (albeit by tiny margins) against LSU and Florida at home, however, they also beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa, which probably qualifies as the single biggest victory by any team in college football all season. Both teams have some question marks on the defensive end, but that's far more serious of a problem for Oklahoma, who gave up a combined 97 points in back-to-back barnburners against West Virginia and Oklahoma State. They won both games, but demonstrated they can't stop the run, giving up over 300 yards rushing to the Mountaineers' Tavon Austin and 5 rushing TD's against the Cowboys. Up against the balanced attack of Manziel, as well as the underrated but capable Malena, I think the Sooners will have real problems.

Sorry to admit, but I think you're right, GM. I watched that game against the Mountaineers and frankly, I was embarrassed by the Sooners' run defense. (actually there wasn't any)

But hey, what can you do? Your team is your team....

My wife's really big on making plans in advance, and I took one look at our calendar for January and canceled my way out of a plan made with a bunch of other people on Friday the 4th so I can watch the Cotton Bowl. Hopefully the Aggies and Sooners can make it worth the lambasting I got over that one.

My wife's really big on making plans in advance, and I took one look at our calendar for January and canceled my way out of a plan made with a bunch of other people on Friday the 4th so I can watch the Cotton Bowl. Hopefully the Aggies and Sooners can make it worth the lambasting I got over that one.

Even a bad day of football is better than holiday visiting...

Yeah but there's also the doghouse you gotta worry about. I think I may have avoided it but it's too early to tell.

EDIT: Nope, I got in trouble again. It came up in conversation, and I got asked why I care to watch a game between two schools I'm not associated with in any way. I mentioned that she doesn't know any of the people competing on X-Factor either and yet she watches that so what's the difference. Later I couldn't help but notice that we went quite promptly to sleep after getting into bed. Women, what can you do?

Edited by Gretzky's Mullet

That was a huge game to kick off Bowl season yeah. I watched the 2nd and 3rd quarters at the gym, and then left and didn't bother to turn the TV on when I got home, thinking that Nevada basically had it wrapped up. Stupid me. Not to mention that I was also flipping to Butler vs Indiana in hoops and Butler toppled the #1 team in OT, and I didn't catch the end of that either.

The Idaho Potato Bowl (formerly the Humanitarian Bowl) was less entertaining, but still had its moments. Utah State played its last WAC game in style, pounding the injury depleted Toledo, and showing they're ready to be a big cheese in the Mountain West. Chuckie Keeton is only a sophomore, and looked incredible yesterday. Look for that team to challenge for a bigger bowl next year.

Incidentally, I don't know why the NCAA can't force title sponsors to give bowls a dignified name and then just add their name before it. Eg: they may call the Orange Bowl the "Discover" Orange Bowl and the Rose Bowl "presented by Vizio" but at least they don't call them the Discover Bowl and the Vizio Bowl. Yet this week we have the "Beef'O'Brady's Bowl", which used to be called the St Petersburg Bowl but now it's officially the BoB Bowl St Petersburg. I'm not going to watch it on principle, nor will I watch the Little Caesars Bowl (formerly Motor City Bowl) or the Peach Bowl which is now the Chick-Fil-A Bowl (and which is actually a really compelling matchup, LSU and Clemson). I wish they'd realize that letting the sponsors give it a stupid name like that demeans it, though I guess selling out is what the NCAA does best. The "Citrus Bowl" is now the "Capital One Bowl", the Mobile Bowl is the "GoDaddy.com Bowl" (that one didn't have much history, it pretty much sucks), the Hall of Fame Bowl is now the "Outback Bowl", the Texas Bowl is now the "Meineke Car Care of Texas Bowl", the Queen City Bowl is now the "Belk Bowl" (also a crappy one with no real history). At least the "Heart of Dallas Bowl", which is a new one, has that name based on a charitable organization that uses sports to raise money for local charities.

• 3 weeks later...

No love for the Oregan ducks and the amazing Tostito bowl going on right now.

The loss to Stanford hurts even more, woulda loved to see them beat down on SEC or the fluke fighting Irish

Ah hell yeah...man that loss stung so bad...the Ducks would pulverize either one of Alabama or Notre Dame...wouldn't even be close...Pac-10-now 12 fan all my life...Cal Berkeley in hoops, Oregon in football..never gonna change..Go Ducks!

Hell ya, I sure hope we don't lose Chip!

And ya, Alabama is extremely overrated they couldn't handle Texas A&M whatsoever can you imagine how traumatizing the ducks would have been? 89-3 ducks

Haha

I think k-state and O are the best in the nation.

Def ain't FLA and Georgia almost lost to Nebraska

Hell ya, I sure hope we don't lose Chip!

And ya, Alabama is extremely overrated they couldn't handle Texas A&M whatsoever can you imagine how traumatizing the ducks would have been? 89-3 ducks

Haha

I think k-state and O are the best in the nation.

Def ain't FLA and Georgia almost lost to Nebraska

Watching the SEC is like watching paint dry. Even the SEC Championship game was excruciating...Offensively challenged, to say the least.

Great way to finish off the season for the Ducks. One missed field goal, in overtime...is all that separated us from a BCS Title game...what could have been....

It makes me sick but IMO O are national champs, when Bama hammers ND the ducks will be the only team undefeated in regulation

bama's national championship should have a * beside it.

That is why I cant wait for the playoff, no way ND makes it to the NC under that format.

2014 national championship A&M vs Ducks

Ducks win and finally beat that SEC A$$

I could see that, and it would mean the first and last "BCS Championship Game" under the bowl format that wasn't won by the SEC.

What a disappointment Notre Dame turned out to be, they were simply outclassed yesterday.

If I had to pick a top 10 to end the season, it'd be:

1. Alabama

2. Georgia

3. Oregon

4. Texas A&M

5. Notre Dame

6. Stanford

7. Florida

8. LSU

9. South Carolina

10. Kansas State

However, I imagine Florida will somehow finish higher, even though they totally did not deserve a BCS bowl over Georgia (who got majorly shafted in the pre-Bowl rankings IMO) and the Gators subsequently licked balls in said BCS bowl against #21 Louisville. I might be snubbing Clemson a little bit too, perhaps they deserve to be in ahead of K-State.