The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCAA football

Gretzky's Mullet

Landry put up gaudy numbers, but I think Barkley is and will be better. Personally, I hate USC and USC QB's (ie Sanchez,Leinart,Palmer,John David Booty) but I think he's going to be the one to break the mold. Bray's the only other really good QB prospect for next year and the Vols football program has just fallen apart. You're bang on every point you keyed on, and I think it will make his stock rise.

Barkley could very well be better than Landry Jones, yes. But waiting until next year gives Matt the advantage of scarcity at his position. As it was, I'd seen draft projections picking Barkley as high as a top 5 pick, however, I think the emergence of Robert Griffin probably drops Barkley a little bit. Next year, Barkley will be a good candidate to go first overall, especially if he has a good season and USC makes a BCS bowl, in no small part because the QB field looks to be thinner at this point.

To go off on an NFL tangent for a bit, it'll be interesting in the last couple of weeks of the NFL season to see how the draft order shakes out. The Colts clearly covet Andrew Luck (who wouldn't, the guy is a gem), and things were looking just fine for them to get him until they...gasp...started winning games. Fact is, no team steps on the field trying to lose. Just try explaining to Curtis Painter or Dan Orlovsky, for instance, that you'd like them to heave up a few picks so the team can draft a replacement for them and run them out of town. However, winning a couple of late season meaningless games to lose draft positioning really does very little for the Colts at this point. However, they also know that the Rams won't be drafting a quarterback, as they have Sam Bradford to whom they clearly hitched the wagons for the present (get it...the wagons..?) So the Rams are obviously going to look to trade the pick, and the Colts, as the number 2 selector, will probably be able to present an attractive package for moving up one spot. However, the Rams are going to fleece them for it. The Vikings, Browns, Bucs, Skins and Dolphins are also going to have very marketable picks however, and while I think the Vikings will stand pat with Ponder, and the Buccaneers probably are comfortable with Freeman and don't use their pick on a QB, all those other teams will want to upgrade, and the Skins and Dolphins will be particularly desperate and may drive up the bidding a little bit. The Colts have to be praying the Rams can beat the 49ers.

Edited by Gretzky's Mullet

Of all things, the Little Caesar and Belk Bowls were both actually pretty entertaining today. Western Michigan's comeback against Purdue fell short when QB Alex Carder fumbled during the 2 minute drill to end the game. And somehow, Louisville was able to come back to within a TD of NC State before ultimately falling short, in a game with amazing TD throws, an awesome pick-6, and enough bad officiating to make any fan pissed off.

Barkley could very well be better than Landry Jones, yes. But waiting until next year gives Matt the advantage of scarcity at his position. As it was, I'd seen draft projections picking Barkley as high as a top 5 pick, however, I think the emergence of Robert Griffin probably drops Barkley a little bit. Next year, Barkley will be a good candidate to go first overall, especially if he has a good season and USC makes a BCS bowl, in no small part because the QB field looks to be thinner at this point.

To go off on an NFL tangent for a bit, it'll be interesting in the last couple of weeks of the NFL season to see how the draft order shakes out. The Colts clearly covet Andrew Luck (who wouldn't, the guy is a gem), and things were looking just fine for them to get him until they...gasp...started winning games. Fact is, no team steps on the field trying to lose. Just try explaining to Curtis Painter or Dan Orlovsky, for instance, that you'd like them to heave up a few picks so the team can draft a replacement for them and run them out of town. However, winning a couple of late season meaningless games to lose draft positioning really does very little for the Colts at this point. However, they also know that the Rams won't be drafting a quarterback, as they have Sam Bradford to whom they clearly hitched the wagons for the present (get it...the wagons..?) So the Rams are obviously going to look to trade the pick, and the Colts, as the number 2 selector, will probably be able to present an attractive package for moving up one spot. However, the Rams are going to fleece them for it. The Vikings, Browns, Bucs, Skins and Dolphins are also going to have very marketable picks however, and while I think the Vikings will stand pat with Ponder, and the Buccaneers probably are comfortable with Freeman and don't use their pick on a QB, all those other teams will want to upgrade, and the Skins and Dolphins will be particularly desperate and may drive up the bidding a little bit. The Colts have to be praying the Rams can beat the 49ers.

haha nice reference to Sam Bradford and the Oklahoma schooner there :P Yeah, i'd say you're pretty spot on with everything again. It's gonna be really interesting to see how this last week pans out with everything

haha nice reference to Sam Bradford and the Oklahoma schooner there :P Yeah, i'd say you're pretty spot on with everything again. It's gonna be really interesting to see how this last week pans out with everything

You see that last play of Air Force vs Toledo yesterday? A fumble on the 2-point conversion that would've won the game, and I think they would have probably brought it in there too. That's got to sting.

Wow what a crazy Alamo Bowl. RG III wasn't that great but he didn't really have to be.

He has a really quick release and could have success as a rookie next year similar to Cam Newton if he goes to the right team.

He hasn't actually declared for the draft yet, I don't believe, though I think he probably will. Griffin has already graduated and is currently working on a Masters degree, which he probably will leave behind for the money of the NFL. That'd be the smart move, and RGIII is certifiably pretty smart. He could come back for his senior year and probably be a good Heisman candidate again, and maybe also finish his second degree, but I doubt there'd be much benefit. Barkley will probably move past him on the draft chart, as pro style QB's usually generate more interest than dual threat guys, so waiting probably won't get him a higher slot.

He hasn't actually declared for the draft yet, I don't believe, though I think he probably will. Griffin has already graduated and is currently working on a Masters degree, which he probably will leave behind for the money of the NFL. That'd be the smart move, and RGIII is certifiably pretty smart. He could come back for his senior year and probably be a good Heisman candidate again, and maybe also finish his second degree, but I doubt there'd be much benefit. Barkley will probably move past him on the draft chart, as pro style QB's usually generate more interest than dual threat guys, so waiting probably won't get him a higher slot.

Yeah for sure he will be #2 qb taken after Andrew Luck probably top 5 as well. Hard to pass that up.

NFL money is too enticing too turn down. Plus he has already accomplished everything he could in his college career by winning a bowl game as well as the Heisman this year.

One guy who definitely should not declare for the draft is Vontaze Burfict. He was projected to be a late first round talent going into this year as an inside backer' but his stock has plummeted this year with all his discipline problems on the field constantly losing his temper and hurting his team with penalties.

He can't control his emotions and he needs to go back to Arizona State and mature in his senior season if he wants to be a first rounder next year.

I would be shocked if Burfict declared for this years draft. He has the physical talent but mentally he is not there.

Edited by Hockey Playa

Wow, the Outback Bowl today was incredible! Michigan State comes from 16-0 down to eventually tie the game in the final minute, then wins the game in triple OT on a blocked field goal. The Big 10 needed that too because the rest of the teams in the conference were getting walked on in the other bowls of the day, with Ohio State, Penn State and Nebraska all losing. Now we'll see what Wisconsin can do.

WOW. Fiesta bowl! Luck brings his team back and take the lead 38-31. Oklahoma state ties it up. With a minute left Luck drives down the field to within the 30 yard line and the kicker misses it! In over time Stanford gets the ball first and the kicker misses the field goal again! Oklahoma state gets the ball down to the 1 yard line and kicks the game winner. The kicker ruined Luck's last college game.

Yeah for sure he will be #2 qb taken after Andrew Luck probably top 5 as well. Hard to pass that up.

NFL money is too enticing too turn down. Plus he has already accomplished everything he could in his college career by winning a bowl game as well as the Heisman this year.

One guy who definitely should not declare for the draft is Vontaze Burfict. He was projected to be a late first round talent going into this year as an inside backer' but his stock has plummeted this year with all his discipline problems on the field constantly losing his temper and hurting his team with penalties.

He can't control his emotions and he needs to go back to Arizona State and mature in his senior season if he wants to be a first rounder next year.

I would be shocked if Burfict declared for this years draft. He has the physical talent but mentally he is not there.

Looks like you're not getting your wish, Burfict declared for the draft today. I've read he's projected as a mid second rounder, and the third best ILB after Luke Kuechly and Donta Hightower according to CBS.

Looks like you're not getting your wish, Burfict declared for the draft today. I've read he's projected as a mid second rounder, and the third best ILB after Luke Kuechly and Donta Hightower according to CBS.

Obviously he is not very mature then. I expect his stock to go down more but a team will take a chance on him and hope they can reign him in.

He had a very disappointing season and was benched for a couple games. In the bowl game against Boise State a couple of weeks back he was a non-factor and hurt his own team with bad penalties which he has done his entire college career.

I don't know why he would declare when he could go back to college for his senior season and improve his draft stock immensely by showing scouts he matured.

He would however be a good fit with a team like the Ravens in time that have an good veteran presence with Ray Lewis to mentor him and get the best out of him.

He has the talent but like I said he has done nothing to prove he will not be a headache for an NFL team despite his huge upside.

Edited by Hockey Playa

So excited for this game!! Lets hope its a good defemsive battle for a change.

This was the first year i was into ncaa football. It was great. The more football the better.

Lsu is louisiana state university right? That means there home...man the crowd will be crazy tonight.

Edited by Tony Romo