The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCAA football

Gretzky's Mullet

Yeah it's pretty dumb that they have a better overall record but just because Stanford managed to beat them once they're on top of the Pac-12 North even though Oregon's 10-1 and they're 9-2. What's the point of even playing the outside conference games then?

The FBS is really whack in their rankings. Take Alabama jumping back up to number 2 when they lost to a lesser rank team than Stanford was when they beat Oregon, just because they're in the SEC they automatically get the spot and Oregon moves down to number 5.

Forgive my rant I'm just a pretty bitter fan right now. :unsure:

I'll tell you exactly why that matters. Stanford has an out-of-conference loss in a close game against the nation's number 1 ranked team. Conversely, Oregon has three non-conference wins against 3 cupcakes who couldn't tell their own butts from a hole in the wall. To say that Stanford is 9-2 and Oregon 10-1 and therefore the Ducks should be ahead completely ignores the circumstances of those games. Oregon scheduled themselves an easy non-conference schedule with the thought that they'd breeze through the Pac-12 and not need any strength of schedule boost otherwise, and now that didn't happen and they're getting their just deserts.

The strength of the SEC isn't some kind of mirage. I don't particularly love that conference but it's legitimate. This year Alabama has run roughshod over everyone save for a close win vs LSU and a close loss vs the Aggies. The Aggies themselves have only lost to LSU and Florida (by an average of 4 pts per loss) while clobbering everyone else. Florida has only lost to Georgia, who's only lost to South Carolina, who's only lost two, against LSU and Florida. The pattern here is that all these teams are very evenly matched, and the level they're matched at is far above any potential opponent. If Ohio State were bowl eligible they'd certainly be in the mix. But look at Oregon. They've got a win against Washington, which looks like a quality victory, but otherwise they've availed against some very flawed opposition, like the Pac-12 bottom feeders and the decidedly average Arizona teams. And while they beat USC, they also gave up 51 points in the process. All that did was to alert the world that their defence couldn't handle any serious competition and that if they were forced to stay on the field instead of giving the ball to their offence to push the tempo, they couldn't stack up. Then along come the Cardinal with a decent defence for a change, and the Ducks looked completely ordinary. I'd say the Ducks are lucky at this point that with a win against the Beavers and a USC win vs the Irish (unlikely but possible) they're probably back in the title game. I'd say that if they had to play any of the top 5 SEC teams they'd probably lose.

Not me. I hate both teams. If the Aggies could somehow sneak in there, then I'd have someone to cheer for, or, I guess I'd be okay with the Bulldogs...

don't hate, appreciate :P

Go Irish!

edit: also really looking forward to the Ohio State-Michigan game

Edited by GodzillaDeuce

Not me. I hate both teams. If the Aggies could somehow sneak in there, then I'd have someone to cheer for, or, I guess I'd be okay with the Bulldogs...

Yeah, being that it's effectively a guarantee that we're seeing one of those, I'd love to see Johnny Football (truth be told I hate that nickname), though they're a long shot. Otherwise I'd be ok with Georgia.

I wonder if there will ever be a BCS Championship game under the current format that doesn't include an SEC team. Since the advent of the extra game in 2007, there has been at least one participant from that conference every year, and every one of those games was won by an SEC team. Most have been largely anticlimactic, though I will confess to having enjoyed both games that Florida won, and the Cam Newton v Oregon game was watchable (though I was really drunk so it might have just seemed that way). Alabama's two titles have been boring as hell, though the first sucked largely because Colt McCoy got hurt and the Longhorns were pretty uncompetitive without him. The last truly thrilling "title game" however would've had to have been the last one under the old format, USC v Texas in the Rose Bowl with Vince Young beating out Bush and Leinart. Coincidentally, the last time two non-SEC teams played for the title. Anyways, next year is the last of the current format, so hopefully the Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12 shape up a little and we can see someone else win the last one.

Edited by Gretzky's Mullet

Go Blue! Very exciting Michigan-Ohio game right now. So sad that Denard Robinson's career is coming to a close, with this probably his penultimate appearance in a Wolverines uniform (a non-BCS bowl will most likely be the very last). Next year looks bright with Gardner under center but few players can ever match the excitement of Shoelace.

Go Buckeyes!

that muffed punt sure hurt, but they followed up nicely.

As I write this Robinson runs for a td. Ohio State has no answer for the guy

No they had no answer for him. Lucky for them Brady Hoke decided to basically sit him the entire fourth quarter. I think the guy is a good coach, but wow was it stupid to completely abandon the gameplan (ie running the ball) with the game close and on the line.

No they had no answer for him. Lucky for them Brady Hoke decided to basically sit him the entire fourth quarter. I think the guy is a good coach, but wow was it stupid to completely abandon the gameplan (ie running the ball) with the game close and on the line.

was a close game, pretty exciting first half

Congrats Buckeyes on going 12-0!

Now the Irish game. Driving here, in the red zone....and td!

I think Alabama vs ND actually does have some potential for excitement. I think the Tide will win, but it should at least be worth watching. I can't believe the Badgers pounded the Huskers as bad as they did either. Who would've imagined a Badgers-Cardinal Rose Bowl two weeks ago?

Good to see K-State redeem themselves back into the Fiesta too.

I think Alabama vs ND actually does have some potential for excitement. I think the Tide will win, but it should at least be worth watching. I can't believe the Badgers pounded the Huskers as bad as they did either. Who would've imagined a Badgers-Cardinal Rose Bowl two weeks ago?

Good to see K-State redeem themselves back into the Fiesta too.

Seeing Nebraska get pounded was one of the highlights of my day. That, and seeing the Sooners knock off TCU.

Now I see that the Sooners are up against the Aggies in the Cotton bowl. That's one game that I'll be watching for sure...

Seeing Nebraska get pounded was one of the highlights of my day. That, and seeing the Sooners knock off TCU.

Now I see that the Sooners are up against the Aggies in the Cotton bowl. That's one game that I'll be watching for sure...

That's one of the best Bowl matchups of the year, including the BCS. I like that it doesn't conflict with any other important bowl too (January 4th). Can't miss. The whole BCS actually looks pretty good this year actually, though I'll probably skip the Orange Bowl. Of the non-BCS, along with the Cotton, the Outback Bowl (Denard's last game) should be pretty exciting, and the Las Vegas Bowl has Boise State vs Washington Huskies, which has a lot of entertainment potential.

I'm going to point out that I hate that Florida is going to the Sugar Bowl instead of Georgia. When you think about it, all Georgia did to get demoted from the 3rd overall seed to 7th was lose to the 2nd overall seed, in a very close game in a conference championship that Florida didn't even have to play. So by virtue of sitting (since they couldn't earn their way into that championship game) the Gators can leapfrog a team that has to play? So so stupid. Not to mention that Georgia actually beat Florida head to head this year.

Johnny Football is amazing. He should win the Heisman and be the first ever freshmen to win the award.

Teo is a good player but he gets way more pub because he plays for the undefeated Irish.

Manziel broke both Tebow and Newton's records for yards in a season in their Heisman trophy winning years.

It should be a no brainer but the votes will probably still be close because of the Notre Dame effect.

Johnny Football is amazing. He should win the Heisman and be the first ever freshmen to win the award.

Teo is a good player but he gets way more pub because he plays for the undefeated Irish.

Manziel broke both Tebow and Newton's records for yards in a season in their Heisman trophy winning years.

It should be a no brainer but the votes will probably still be close because of the Notre Dame effect.

Is the voting done before bowl season?

I'm an Oklahoma fan, but I think Manziel will put up some big numbers on the Sooners' defense. I just hope Jones can keep up...

Is the voting done before bowl season?

I'm an Oklahoma fan, but I think Manziel will put up some big numbers on the Sooners' defense. I just hope Jones can keep up...

The Heisman announcement is this Saturday. The votes have already been cast. The polls are showing a close race between Manziel and Te'o.

I still think Manziel will win being a qb going against a defensive player but it will be close.

I think the vote should be close, as both players could make a case for being deserving. I happen to think that the hype around Manziel and the fact that he's a QB will probably push it to him.

I also think the Aggies are going to beat the Sooners in the Cotton Bowl, sorry Rupert. I've been wrong before, but I just think the Aggies will be better on both sides of the ball. Looking at the balance of their games, the Sooners have only beaten one opponent that ended the season ranked, and it was the largely unimpressive Longhorns in the Red River game. Granted, the Aggies played an easier SEC schedule than some of the other teams in that conference (eg: did not have to play Georgia or South Carolina), and they lost (albeit by tiny margins) against LSU and Florida at home, however, they also beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa, which probably qualifies as the single biggest victory by any team in college football all season. Both teams have some question marks on the defensive end, but that's far more serious of a problem for Oklahoma, who gave up a combined 97 points in back-to-back barnburners against West Virginia and Oklahoma State. They won both games, but demonstrated they can't stop the run, giving up over 300 yards rushing to the Mountaineers' Tavon Austin and 5 rushing TD's against the Cowboys. Up against the balanced attack of Manziel, as well as the underrated but capable Malena, I think the Sooners will have real problems.

Edited by Gretzky's Mullet